Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I just remembered this one (a throw done while on the ground) that I learned at class about a month ago. I haven't had much chance to perform it, but seems quite effective and simple.

It's a seoi nage-like throw when you are almost in a turtle. Say both you and your partner are on the ground (you on your knees or one knee only) and he attempts an arm drag (on your left arm for example) and tries to pull you in.

With both hands firmly grabbing his arm just below elbow level or above (above == better), go on your knees and dive down as in going turtle. Your opponent will see a bulls eye on your back and he is going to try to take it.

Now, pay attention. You have his right arm grapped deep with your hands. So his best bet is to move to his left, around your right to take your back. As he is getting up and going for it, you pull his arm by pulling your hands to your right hip and dive to your left as if about to roll over your left shoulder (this will bring him closer to you). As you do your pull (this is basically a left hand-side seoi nage), lift your hips (more your right than your left) as you push with your right leg.

Do not roll over. Just dive to your left shoulder, pulling his arm towards your right hip (which you are lifting) while pushing with your right leg. He goes whoooosh over you, and from there, while keeping his right arm grabbed with your right hand, begin to secure a grip with your left hand and moving for side control or kesa or whichever you feel like doing.

You are basically baiting him, but you have to be fast, otherwise you are fucked. Also, if you find yourself in a similar situation where he is about to take your back, this may save you. It works great with a gi, and can't wait to give it a try (and see how it works) with no gi, with slippery wet sweat and all that slippery ****.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 9:45am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    Neko, FYI :) The NAGA tourneys are on this Saturday down in Miami (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47492)
    I might miss it this year, maybe next year I'll try to compete, but my shoulder is still all **** up (I have been playing a lot of video games though).

Have you been going to Boca for judo?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 10:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tani Otoshi

It's extra fun because no one else does it. (in my class)

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 11:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko687
    I might miss it this year, maybe next year I'll try to compete, but my shoulder is still all **** up (I have been playing a lot of video games though).

Have you been going to Boca for judo?
    Not at all :( I've been off since that Saturday I stopped at Tomodachi's. It's until this past monday that I went back to training (no-gi this time). I wrapped the **** outta my left hand with sport tape, and it did work quite well. I could roll without problems, just some minor discomfort on my wrist. So I guess I'm on my way to recovery :viking:

I'm not sure if I'll be going to Tomodachi on Sats. My BJJ school has just opened three new classes on Sats - BJJ-gi from 7:15-9:30 and 12-1PM and then a MMA class from 1-2PM. I've been working so late at nights lately that these may be my only sure options on a weekly basis. My job puts my training in a constant state of flux (**********)

I want to compete next year as well, so we'll see. What's the prognosis on your shoulder????
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 12:10pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Tani Otoshi

It's extra fun because no one else does it. (in my class)
    Same here. I haven't figured out why more don't do it. Hell, even my instructor won't use it.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to compete next year as well, so we'll see. What's the prognosis on your shoulder????
    it's f-up, nah, they told me that I have to wait 6-8 weeks (same old story), and they wanted me to go to therapy, well, my job does not pay me enough to be able to such a luxury so I started to exercise the arm and I think I'm gonna start doing some light rolling tonigh, we will see what happens

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 1:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko687
    it's f-up, nah, they told me that I have to wait 6-8 weeks (same old story), and they wanted me to go to therapy, well, my job does not pay me enough to be able to such a luxury so I started to exercise the arm and I think I'm gonna start doing some light rolling tonigh, we will see what happens
    Good idea. At some point, it's good to move and exercise the arm, get the blood flowing and stuff. That should accelerate the recovery process. Good luck!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 2:04pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been having luck with a really really horribly ugly tani otoshi. I'm really too short to pull it off right on anyone in my class, but I can usually stop their throw (typically an ogoshi), grab their belt, then fall backwards while sweeping.

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 7:59pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. That works great and I get that all of the time, though generally not with a belt grip.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 9:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I just remembered this one (a throw done while on the ground) that I learned at class about a month ago. I haven't had much chance to perform it, but seems quite effective and simple.

It's a seoi nage-like throw when you are almost in a turtle. Say both you and your partner are on the ground (you on your knees or one knee only) and he attempts an arm drag (on your left arm for example) and tries to pull you in.

With both hands firmly grabbing his arm just below elbow level or above (above == better), go on your knees and dive down as in going turtle. Your opponent will see a bulls eye on your back and he is going to try to take it.

Now, pay attention. You have his right arm grapped deep with your hands. So his best bet is to move to his left, around your right to take your back. As he is getting up and going for it, you pull his arm by pulling your hands to your right hip and dive to your left as if about to roll over your left shoulder (this will bring him closer to you). As you do your pull (this is basically a left hand-side seoi nage), lift your hips (more your right than your left) as you push with your right leg.

Do not roll over. Just dive to your left shoulder, pulling his arm towards your right hip (which you are lifting) while pushing with your right leg. He goes whoooosh over you, and from there, while keeping his right arm grabbed with your right hand, begin to secure a grip with your left hand and moving for side control or kesa or whichever you feel like doing.

You are basically baiting him, but you have to be fast, otherwise you are fucked. Also, if you find yourself in a similar situation where he is about to take your back, this may save you. It works great with a gi, and can't wait to give it a try (and see how it works) with no gi, with slippery wet sweat and all that slippery ****.
    I try to do this type of throw a lot when I give up my back and the other person goes for an RNC. Most of the time though I still end up on my back with them going for the rnc. I then do my Louseau impersonation and sit there fighting of their RNC while I have a nice rest. Worked well tonight until the point I tried to roll over into theri gaurd and got arm barred.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast