Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 9:42am

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Morote Gari, Kuchiki Taoshi, & Tani Otoshi. I can reliably nail all three and if not, they'll usually leave me in position for a hip throw or uchi mata.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 10:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not good enough to have a go to throw. I'm normally the one getting taken down. But I do like the tomoe nage. And I'm decent at the hip & shoulder throw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 2:15pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    Here's what you're doing wrong.

You are practicing a fake seoi to kouchi gake.

What do I mean? I mean when you go for the seoi, you have to go for it. If you get it, that's great! Then you don't need to flow to the next technique. If you feel them stopping you, only then should you go to kouchi. A "fake" is usually without entry. You fake a direction. You fake an uchi mata by skipping in but maybe you change directions and go to a tani otoshi instead. The point is that if you go all in, it's not a fake. Nor should it be treated as such.

I'm using to many words here.
    I know what you mean, I've been told as much already.
    I'll be back at training tomorrow after a knee injury, so it looks like I've something to work on.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think everyone loves sutemi waza when they start out. They are the easiest throws to do, but once you get an idea what you are doing most people move away from them because they are pretty easily countered.
    I love uchi mata to ko soto....or koshi garuma.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 3:21pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osoto Gari, Harai-tsurikomi-ashi, tani-otoshi (generally as a counter)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 6:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have to say tai-otoshi is my #1, maybe because i've learned it at least half a dozen ways, so i've gotten varied perspectives on it. it's a throw i think i'm actually developing a feel for, instead of just copying.

(btw isn't mifune's cross-stepping spinning tai-otoshi awesome as hell? you guys know what i mean, surely.)

osoto gari is a favorite, if not a high-percentage move. most of my judo buddies hold me out because they know this, but i always want them to get in close so i can throw osoto. =) i get it from the "lunge" occassionally, but that's never a spectacular throw in my experience.

i have to admit i've never gotten any kind of hip throw in randori, but i am a total newb as well. i suspect mine are too slow/telegraphed/lacking in kuzushi/poorly timed...

but that's what i'm working on, because i really want to slam people. it's why i do judo. =P

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 8:52pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    I'll have to say tai-otoshi is my #1, maybe because i've learned it at least half a dozen ways, so i've gotten varied perspectives on it. it's a throw i think i'm actually developing a feel for, instead of just copying.

(btw isn't mifune's cross-stepping spinning tai-otoshi awesome as hell? you guys know what i mean, surely.)

osoto gari is a favorite, if not a high-percentage move. most of my judo buddies hold me out because they know this, but i always want them to get in close so i can throw osoto. =) i get it from the "lunge" occassionally, but that's never a spectacular throw in my experience.

i have to admit i've never gotten any kind of hip throw in randori, but i am a total newb as well. i suspect mine are too slow/telegraphed/lacking in kuzushi/poorly timed...

but that's what i'm working on, because i really want to slam people. it's why i do judo. =P
    I love that spinning tai otoshi, tho' I prefer it with a good harai or uchi mata. Is it in one of Mifune's books because I actually got it from my sensei after he went to a summer camp with Pedro who showed it to him (thusly we call it the "Pedro Step") and some more history on it would be cool.

And don't worry about the hip throws, I've been taking it for 2 years and can barely get koshi guruma, which in my opinion is the simplest of the them. Ippon seio is my favorite but technically it's shoulder not hip so I don't count that. Just whenever you have time in or out of class do uchikomi's for ogoshi at first and soon you'll have it down (by soon I mean basically a year and a half? Maybe I'm just slow tho')

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 4:00am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uchi-mata for me.

I have seen the spinning entry tai-otoshi but not being great at any form of tai-otoshi I worry that I'd be open to getting countered without being really good at it.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 8:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seio nage to ko-uchi, ouchi to uchi mata, uchi mata to harai and yama arashi to tai otoshi

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neko, FYI :) The NAGA tourneys are on this Saturday down in Miami (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47492)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast