Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 3:13pm

Style: Boxer, Grappler, Fencer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How little do you know about violence in your own community?

In my community, many see no need for tools of self-defense, because "that's what police are for."

Yet, police make less than one arrest for every two violent crimes. (*Derived from 2011 crime stats at FBI.gov)

My question for Bullshido: what's that suggest about our understanding of violence, within our own community? Further, how much/little do you know about violence in your own community?
    Last edited by Ashkuff; 2/02/2013 3:30pm at .

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 3:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in one of the most "gun controlled" states in the Union and we have a gang epidemic in every. single. county.

The relatively small city I go to train in is known (at least in the media) as a gang and murder capital of the state. The local International House of Pancakes was recently (2011) the location of a gang war truce between the town mayor and rival sets of the Bloods, after multiple murders, including children on the street.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...street_ga.html

I don't live in this town, I just train there and drive there from the "safety" of the rural burbs 20 miles away.

But I don't live under any false presumptions about violence in my town because I know after reading the FBI/NJ gang task force study....those same gangs are active in my town too.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am fortunate enough to live in Canada where we have sensible gun restrictions and plenty of cold weather that keeps hoodlums indoors 5-6months out of the year.
    My city has an average of 8-10 gun-related homicides per year.
    It is a boring city, but it is safe.
    The only time we see an increase in gunplay in this city is when gang rivalries from other cities like Toronto and Hamilton find their way to London.
    As far as being a victim of crime goes, you are more likely to have your car stolen or broken into than anything else here.
    Having said that, the past couple of years there seem to be more late-night incidents involving guns than there were a decade or two ago when I frequented the nightclubs.
    Usually the scenario is something like this :
    3 or 4 am ..parking lot downtown..two groups of people start mouthing off to each other, one of the groups consists of gang members or wannabes..lipping off turns into threats, threats turns into shots fired.
    Sometimes the bullets are just fired into the air or into a car tire to intimidate people, other times, someone gets killed.
    This is a university town, so the bars are pretty happening. There is thus no shortage of drunken morons on the streets downtown on any given weekend at 3am.
    Barroom brawls are frequent , but murders are not.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 7:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I live in one of the most "gun controlled" states in the Union and we have a gang epidemic in every. single. county.
    Interesting to know. Question: what's the nature of the gang epidemic? Shootings? Or mainly vandalism?

--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to use anthropology, in business and ADVENTURE!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 7:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Usually the scenario is something like this :
    3 or 4 am ..parking lot downtown..two groups of people start mouthing off to each other, one of the groups consists of gang members or wannabes..lipping off turns into threats, threats turns into shots fired.
    Sometimes the bullets are just fired into the air or into a car tire to intimidate people, other times, someone gets killed.
    Hmmm. Sounds about right, to me. But I wonder, where'd that description come from? Have you seen it happen, yourself? Or is it a narrative from the news? Just wonderin.

--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to use anthropology, in business and ADVENTURE!!!!

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 8:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkuff View Post
    Interesting to know. Question: what's the nature of the gang epidemic? Shootings? Or mainly vandalism?

www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/njgangsurvey-2001-2004.pdf

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/02/2013 8:07pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2013 9:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how homicide, burglary and criminal mischief gets punctuated by freakin' "graffiti."

Posted On:
    2/03/2013 10:45am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know that the media coverage controls what we "know" about the violence in our area.
    If for example in jerusalem Israel the media wants to promote an agenda of a peaceful co existence between Arabs and Jews, they won't publish stories that involve any hate crimes. The facebook and cellphone video era helped show how much the media is selective and topic driven.
    Though there are surprisingly little Bar room fights here. Hardly any fights, and doorman are present only in clubs. You don't need them in pubs.
    You have an armed guard in the entrance (usually some old geezer) to prevent a bomber from getting in, but that is it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2013 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: How little do you know about violence in your own community?

Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    I know that the media coverage controls what we "know" about the violence in our area.
    If for example in jerusalem Israel the media wants to promote an agenda of a peaceful co existence between Arabs and Jews, they won't publish stories that involve any hate crimes. The facebook and cellphone video era helped show how much the media is selective and topic driven.
    Though there are surprisingly little Bar room fights here. Hardly any fights, and doorman are present only in clubs. You don't need them in pubs.
    You have an armed guard in the entrance (usually some old geezer) to prevent a bomber from getting in, but that is it.
    Damn dude, you don't have any organization that publishes these stats?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 4:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Damn dude, you don't have any organization that publishes these stats?
    It is quite common for countries to have very tight control over their media outlets. The level of propaganda in some countries is down right criminal.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast