Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 10:55am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Drinking water during training...

When I drink during breaks in my MMA class, I try to drink between 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup. There are normally 2 - 3 breaks in between each 2 hour class.

After training I normally drink about 2 - 3 cups as I get dehydrated, and the cold water tastes good.

However, after I get home from the gym, I get this uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, and I suspect its from drinking too much water or the temperature of the water (too cold?).

What's the guideline to drinking during training? How much can I drink at one go without ill effects? And is it advisable to drink cold water? Thanks

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 1:01pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Answer 1) Whatever works for you. Temp shouldn't matter, try drinking a little less.

Answer 2)
    Workout Nutrition - Baseline

As a baseline, start by ingesting 30g carbohydrate and 15g protein (in 500ml water) per hour of training. This means if you’re training for one total hour, you’re sipping your 30g carb and 15g protein drink during that hour. And if you’re training for two hours, you’re sipping your first 30g carb and 15g protein drink during the first hour and your second 30g carb and 15g protein drink during the second hour. And so on…

Then, once your workout is done, you’ll have a whole food meal within an hour or two of training.
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/..._nutrition.htm
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 7:23pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a somewhat relevant note I failed to drink enough water before training this saturday and ended up rather dehydrated and near collapsing. I failed to realize that I had only had one cup of water in over 12 hours.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 8:36pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Answer 1) Whatever works for you. Temp shouldn't matter, try drinking a little less.

Answer 2)

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/..._nutrition.htm
    Thanks very much PirateJon

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 8:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I barely drink any water at all during training, just taking little sips here and there to keep my mouth moist, then I drink a bunch of gatorade when I get home. I seem to get by ok.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 8:50pm

Style: Capoeira Angola

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience is that people who down water during an intense class have a hard time keeping up with all that water sloshing around in their stomachs, me included. These days, i'll only drink after the class (2 hour class), or have a sip of cold water if i really need it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 9:05pm

Style: Five Animal KF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was in high school years ago. the football coach thought that drinking water during practices was for wimps. Of course, this approach was not a healthy one. Listen to your body. It will tell you how much it needs. Take sips and stop when you think you have gotten enough.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 9:40pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've noticed that if I make sure to drink plenty of water during the day (before training), then that gives me more energy. It also means I need less water during training.

On a side note, the ammonia smell on my gi has gone away now that I make sure to be hydrated throughout the day.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 12:59am

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a half-gallon water bottle I take with me to class. It's usually half full or less when I get home after an hour and a half session. No sloshing problems. I go through water FAST.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 1:06am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be able to drink most of a gallon of water while training at the gym, but these days if I drink more than just a little bit of water it makes me feel bloated and slow.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast