Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 9:20am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

KI, Physics, Unliftable body

I found this over on aikiweb this morning. It's an interesting read on how physics can be used to explain the how the unliftable body works.

http://www.griffithaikido.com/aikidophysicskipower.html

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 9:26am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can duplicate most of these silly things as magic tricks. I may try to put together a quick "Martial Magic" act for the Nov 5th Atl throwdown. Do the "Unbendable Arm" have 5 people try to push me against a wall, may even try the unliftable body... I also do a backbridge with someone sitting on my stomach and sit in a horse stance with someone sitting on my knee. All kinds of good tricks.

Kintanon

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 9:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is blasphemy. It's all about extending your ki and becoming one with the universe.
    カンフー

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 10:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    I can duplicate most of these silly things as magic tricks. I may try to put together a quick "Martial Magic" act for the Nov 5th Atl throwdown. Do the "Unbendable Arm" have 5 people try to push me against a wall, may even try the unliftable body... I also do a backbridge with someone sitting on my stomach and sit in a horse stance with someone sitting on my knee. All kinds of good tricks.

Kintanon
    That is what they are "magic tricks", but they are supose to teach principles of movement, or body position that allow you to defeat your attacker. Does it work? You got me, I just choke and punch people.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 10:41am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    That is what they are "magic tricks", but they are supose to teach principles of movement, or body position that allow you to defeat your attacker. Does it work? You got me, I just choke and punch people.
    This stuff is not going to teach you anything about fighting. The body mechanics you need to beat people are going to come from more direct exercises, like punching, kicking, and armbarring people. This stuff was invented as a way of fooling/entertaining people and I really don't think it has much value as anything more.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 12:40pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    This stuff is not going to teach you anything about fighting. The body mechanics you need to beat people are going to come from more direct exercises, like punching, kicking, and armbarring people. This stuff was invented as a way of fooling/entertaining people and I really don't think it has much value as anything more.
    I disagree. Something like unbendable arm is actually a pretty good way of demonstrating how your arms should respond to pressure as a *preamble* to a technique. That means that UA isn't something you use, but the feel of it is a good way to look at relaxed pressure instead of going totally stiff. Since the tendency is to stiffen up when you do anything, having the correct feel known ahead of time is useful. Since it only takes 5 min to teach it doesn't significantly impact training time.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 12:49pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    I disagree. Something like unbendable arm is actually a pretty good way of demonstrating how your arms should respond to pressure as a *preamble* to a technique. That means that UA isn't something you use, but the feel of it is a good way to look at relaxed pressure instead of going totally stiff. Since the tendency is to stiffen up when you do anything, having the correct feel known ahead of time is useful. Since it only takes 5 min to teach it doesn't significantly impact training time.
    The UA may reveal some sort of body mechanics that are useful, but it seems like those body mechanics should just be integrated into the normal training. If you want to demonstrate it using the UA, fine, but to me that's like doing the "saw my assistant in half" trick as part of cabinet-making class. There's a stigma attached to the unbendable arm in that it has been used to dupe the gullible in the past - can we use such evil weapons for good aims? That's one for the philosophers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 1:32pm

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I see it that maybe the standalone UA technique can be taught on it's own since it takes a whole five minutes to teach but immediately after the person learning gets the feeling other more direct exercises should be done to learn how to apply it. So, rather than "They should only learn it directly!" or "They can apply it on their own after the inital exercise!" a nice mixture of the two would probably produce the best results.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually use the UA a lot in grip fighting. I've been told I have a mean stiffarm. I'm not sure if practicing the UA in aikido did it, or if it just came about from knowing how to do the UA, and lot of randori. I'd put my money on the randori.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, oh, and I seem to remember a Bruce Lee anecdote (dunno if it's true though) about a guy who was doing a demonstration of his unmovable body. Allegedly he challenged everyone in the room to try and push him over, which even the biggest guys couldn't. Then Bruce lost his nerve, came up to the guy and punched him in the face, straight the heck out of his fortress-stance. Heh. Yeah. Unliftable body my ass. Who the heck would ever want to lift you?
    Tonuzaba
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast