Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, shop around. If there was nothing else available and you were a highly paid professional with $$$ to spare, I'd say "**** it, there is nothing else so do it." But you are a college student, so no, don't do it. Keep it (and your wallet) real. As a student, you need to keep your monetary priorities firmly in place.

See if there are other schools, maybe a non-profit/YMCA judo school. You may not get as much ground grappling, but you will learn good quality stuff with a Judo school, and most of them are quite affordable with sparring all the way (usually $60, but sometimes as low as $30, not counting a $50+ fee to register to the USJI or USJA).

Don't sign anything there, at least not until you make sure there are no other options. And in the case you do consider sign up, see if you can take a short contract, 3 months or so. Don't sign your soul and your credit record with a 12+ month contract. BEWARE!!!!

Where are you located? If you give us your zipcode, I'm pretty sure someone may do a quick google-fu and help you out finding other options.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:33pm

Style: bee jay jay

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Where does it say NO SPARRING?
    I took a trial lesson. there was no sparring. after my trial lesson, I was taken into a room in whick me and a woman in a gi (with a yellow belt on) explained how the classes were to be held.

I told her that I already have participated in a few local tournaments and I am very much interested in going to tournaments. I asked her if there was any sparring involved with the classes I would be signing up for.

she than began to explain the Basic+ plan in which the extend the class 15 minutes after each class for 150$ monthly.

I don't even think that the Basic+ plan even exists, because after my class "bowed out" the instructor immediately went in to teaching the next class. (which was an impressive assortment of different color belts, purple, blues, even a machado brown!)

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:36pm

Style: bee jay jay

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    zipcode is 76014, Travis Lutter's school is also about 20 min. away, but I haven't made the trip out there yet.

note: Lutter is also a Carlos Machado BB, Carlos is pretty much the father of BJJ here in the Lone Star State.
    Last edited by youtube; 10/22/2006 7:38pm at .

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:40pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I went through the web site, and I see classes 6 days a week, including some Vale Tudo classes.

There's a disconnect between what this guy is saying and what the web site says.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:43pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would make the trip to Lutter's I like his jits.

I have a feeling that more and more BJJ schools will be doing stuff like this. Super schools will arise with the best of BJJ, karate, kung fu - what ever floats your boat - and there will be good instructors and it will all come with a price $$$.

I don't mind some schools de-emphasizing sparing and focusing on tech; but excluding it is no good. Not a sermon, just some thoughts.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's BJJ. It's a money making McDojo practice.

No sparring + Overpriced training = McDojo and not a good place to train.

Don't train there. It doesn't matter how much you earn or how much disposable income you have, you should not be getting ripped off and you deserve to have quality training for a fair price. If this was a Taekwondo school everyone would be chanting "McDojo". But once again BJJ gets it's special treatment. No way. Look for something else.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 8:00pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    It's BJJ. It's a money making McDojo practice.

No sparring + Overpriced training = McDojo and not a good place to train.

Don't train there. It doesn't matter how much you earn or how much disposable income you have, you should not be getting ripped off and you deserve to have quality training for a fair price. If this was a Taekwondo school everyone would be chanting "McDojo". But once again BJJ gets it's special treatment. No way. Look for something else.
    I know you have issues because jiujitsu molested you as a child, but everyone IS saying it's a ripoff and that it looks mcdojo.

Learn to read.
    Last edited by Tenebrous; 10/22/2006 8:14pm at .

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 8:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    Ok, I went through the web site, and I see classes 6 days a week, including some Vale Tudo classes.

There's a disconnect between what this guy is saying and what the web site says.
    Well, the fact there's "Adult Basic Training": Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (from 7 to 7:70 pm) and Saturday (from 12:00 pm to maybe 2: pm, as open mat starts at 12:30 pm) doesn't imply he is allowed to attend to all of these.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 8:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is far t00 t3h d34dly for sparing. . . .

--J.D.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 8:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrous
    I know you have issues because jiujitsu molested you as a child, but everyone IS saying it's a ripoff and that it looks mcdojo.

Learn to read.
    Why don't you go jump off a cliff......
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast