Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:41pm

Style: bee jay jay

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

120$ a month, 1 hour a week BJJ

thats right, 120$ a month for 1-2 30-minute classes a week as 12 month program. NO SPARRING

this is a BJJ school in my area. if that aint Mcdojo, I don't know what is.

the place offers solid teaching, but that **** is just way too high.

here is the website www.tsdefense.com

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:46pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by youtube
    thats right, 120$ a month for 1-2 30-minute classes a week as 12 month program. NO SPARRING

BJJ with no sparring? Its begins.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posting . . . and YOU. . . .

--J.D.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:50pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The wonderful thing about BJJ is that its grades can easily be verified. Better men than me will check if he really did get, as he claims, his BB in BJJ under Carlos Machado.

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does being a black belt under carlos machado validate the pricing?

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems Orlando is a legit black belt:
    http://austinjiujitsu.com/budo/bjj/r...llas_open.html
    http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&cd=20

But the price of classes and the "NO SPARRING"... sounds Mccojoish.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:14pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a similar experience with the Popovitch's in Ft. Lauderdale. Pablo Popovitch is a monster. He knows his ****, and the other guys that work with him at his school. Plus he is a very nice fellow, the whole bunch of them.

Having said that, I got pretty dissilusioned by the contract, which I signed without first shopping around. I was paying $100 a month (and like $100+ or something, can't remember.) I could only train twice a week, 30 minutes a session. Quick, murderous "warm up" followed by 20 minutes drills of two techniques, plus very specific Q&As. But that was about it.

Those with the same similar contracts I had (the basic plan) would have to leave after 30 minutes, while the more "seniors" would continue for a while followed by sparring. Finally I got my first stripe, and I asked if and when I could train more. That's when I was told of the "better" plan (unlimited training, classes every morning and night, including sparring and seminars). All that for $200 a month for 36 months and $300 down payment.

And that's when I left. I won't knock the talent and quality of teaching at that school, but the contract plans sucked ass, specially the one I started for $100 a month with no sparring.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the same occurs at other locations, independently of the quality of teaching.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:16pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pl4zM4
    BJJ with no sparring? Its begins.
    Right out of my mouth. Take that BJJ! Your success will drag you down into the morass that has engulfed the rest of the martial arts world.

And so began... the dark ages of groundfighting.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:23pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does being a black belt under carlos machado validate the pricing?
    **** No. And in particular, **** NO if there are other schools around with better plans.

I'm currently training at a school owned by Carlos Rollyson, 7th BB in BJJ (the only grandmaster in Florida AFAIK), and a 2nd degree in Judo. This professor is incredibly accessible, nice, knowledgeable and just fucking great to train with. His classes are also lead by high quality brown and black belts.

There are several blackbelts at this school who are also high ranking judoka, and there is a BJJ purple belt and BB judoka who comes to teach the standup (and I've been told, the school also brings wrestlers from time to time to take over the class to teach standup/clinch). All of this gi and no-gi.

Anyways, more to the point, Mr. Rollyson charges $114 a month for unlimited access to classes 5 days, a week (at night and at 11am) including 30 to 60 minutes of sparring (or as long as people can/want to roll), and open mat for the entire Saturday morning.

If Mr. Rollyson, a 7th degree BJJ blackbelt and a Judo nidan, if he doesn't charge $120 with the exclusion of sparring, I don't see why people with lesser credentials should (not knocking people's ass-kicking abilities, but you get my point.)

I guess people and schools could charge that amount for so little; bizness is bizness. It's up to people to swallow the bait. :new_shock
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    I had a similar experience with the Popovitch's in Ft. Lauderdale. Pablo Popovitch is a monster. He knows his ****, and the other guys that work with him at his school. Plus he is a very nice fellow, the whole bunch of them.

Having said that, I got pretty dissilusioned by the contract, which I signed without first shopping around. I was paying $100 a month (and like $100+ or something, can't remember.) I could only train twice a week, 30 minutes a session. Quick, murderous "warm up" followed by 20 minutes drills of two techniques, plus very specific Q&As. But that was about it.

Those with the same similar contracts I had (the basic plan) would have to leave after 30 minutes, while the more "seniors" would continue for a while followed by sparring. Finally I got my first stripe, and I asked if and when I could train more. That's when I was told of the "better" plan (unlimited training, classes every morning and night, including sparring and seminars). All that for $200 a month for 36 months and $300 down payment.

And that's when I left. I won't knock the talent and quality of teaching at that school, but the contract plans sucked ass, specially the one I started for $100 a month with no sparring.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the same occurs at other locations, independently of the quality of teaching.
    YES! this is what I was shown.

120$ plus a 200$ startup fee. (basic plan)

I than asked her if there was any sparring involved.

sparring would be in the Basic+ plan. in which there is 15 minutes added at the end of class for sparring and additional questions. this would be "only" 150$ a month.

I am used to training with my buddies (one of which is a BJJ blue belt) in the garage for at least 2 hours. I know I am in need of an actual instructor, but I am a freakin college student for crying out loud!
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast