Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 1:11pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Bayev Bite

ARGH. The internets just ate my post. :angry4: Oh well, I'll just write it again.

While searching on Google Video for an unrelated technique, I stumbled upon six videos of Elliot Bayev of "22 Minutes of Awesome Techniques" fame demonstrating the Bayev Bite, which I'm guessing he invented. (Heck, he might even have put the Bayev Bite in the long demo vid, I just haven't had a chance to watch through the whole thing.) The vids are:

Bayev Bite from Closed Guard
    Bayev Bite from Butterfly Guard
    Bayev Bite from Butterfly Guard - Angle 2
    Bayev Bite from Mount
    Bayev Bite from Clinch
    Bayev Bite against Kneebar Defense

Anyways, the Bayev Bite is a no-gi arm technique (not sure how else to describe it). It works something like this (and this works on both sides, just switch "right" for "left"): I bring my left arm across and under my opponent's right arm, as if I were going to armdrag him. I then bring my right arm up in front of his right arm, and do a palms-facing clasp. (I'm not sure of the real name for that grip, but my right hand needs to point away from me and my left hand points up, and my palms are touching each other. The hand direction is important because it's too hard to lock the Bite without turning if you try locking in the other way, right hand up and left hand forward.) When my hands are locked, the Bite is in place, and my arms should form a sort of inverted-V structure with his upper arm trapped inside it.

Once I have the bite locked in, there are three possible outcomes. First, I can squeeze my forearms together for a bicep crusher, if the bite is high up on his arm, or for a straight armbar, if the bite is lower near his elbow (I believe the armbar thing only works in the position demonstrated in the defense against kneebar video.) If he escapes under the inverted-V structure, he is in position for an armdrag (useful in the clinch and guard situations shown). If the submission doesn't work, then I can use the Bite as a hold/grip on his upper arm in order to sweep/throw him.

I haven't seen this technique before, so I figured I'd post it and see what better grapplers think of the Bayev Bite, or whether they've had experience with it before. It's definitely new to me, but what do I know, I'm just a grappling noob. It seems like a nice setup to get my opponent to react, although it seems like after surprising somebody with it a few times they'll learn to slip under and we'll go from there. I obviously haven't had an opportunity to work with the Bite since I just found it today, but I'll be sure to fool around with it next time I roll, and if there's any interest in it by that time, I'll be sure to post my results.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 10/22/2006 4:23pm at .

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aw, c'mon. At least one person's gotta say something.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    Don't worry about it Vicious. Shumagorath is just a nutriding pansy and his opinions are void
    I didn't send this thread here and Elliot Bayev does BJJ. Try again.

Moving original post to DHS and Angry_Spastic to... somewhere else.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 10/23/2006 2:50pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Pingo

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted this here because the forum description includes "Misc. Techniques". Since I wasn't sure if my post was up to the quality standard in DHS, I figured I'd post here. I was under the impression that Guantanamo was being revamped as a semi-legit forum.

If this was the wrong forum to put it in, could one of the mods just move the thread to wherever it belongs? No need for any argument, I'd rather get some discussion on this technique.

*edit*
    Thanks for the quick response, and sorry for any mixup.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 10/23/2006 2:56pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 3:38pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elliot sent me these clips and I put them up on Google Videos. I just hadn't posted them yet.