Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 5:40pm

Style: Medieval Italian (WMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Hardly. I'm an ARMA member, I've taught Historical European martial arts before, and I'd like to think I get a decent ammount of respect here.

What doesnt get respect is talking about how one doesnt do any full resistence sparring because of techniques that are to dangerous.

What you have to understand is that we get a lot of people in the martial arts that hide behind saying "I can't spar because all my techniques are to dangerous".
    That's good to know. After the initial shock, I think I'm beginning to aclimate myself to bullshido, and it seems that the most misunderstandings that came from my initial self-introduction is about to veer off:
    (I think it was this centence that triggered everything)
    "I allso do reenactment, and practice a little with pole-axe, 1h.sword, roundshield, buckler and 1h.axe, but not as a martial art; that's more like martial sport."

I still think that there are some techniques in some of the medieval manuals that would snap my limbs if it was applied full-speed/full-contact, but if you are that much tougher than me, I guess you wouldn't mind having someone putting their fingers into your eye-sockets, or a sharp sword thrusted into your face full-speed and full-contact. (But as Anna says, we don't train this in order to practice it on the streets, just to get the feel of how the Fiore ma-system worked)

And btw; AnnaTrocity is pretty spot on
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I think he's trying to put what he's doing in context, not presentin it as a real situation.
    , so read her interpretations on what I type if what you read from me sounds stupid :-) I do not train for the modern battlefield one could encounter in the streets of today, or in Afghanistan, I try to imagine how it was to fight on the european battlefields in the late medieval times, and all we have to work from are 600 years old 2d-manuals, and people that fight (like most of you bullshido'ers)
    Last edited by Stolenbjorn; 10/26/2006 5:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 5:53pm

Style: WMA (various)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Actually, this can be seen as Aikido, or grappling, not just Judo. The pages I saw can be twisted to fit any art. I dont see how this proves anything.
    What am I supposed to be trying to prove? You said that Fiore's stuff and Judo "don't have anything in common," and I pointed out that Fiore's writings include material on pure unarmed grappling and that these parts do seem to have some elements in common with Judo -- e.g., a form of kata guruma. That doesn't mean I think the two arts are particularly similar to one another.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 5:54pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    yes, but I personally respect you because:
    1) You have an uzi
    2) You could kick my ass (judging by the vids)
    3) You admit to liking MySpace.

Hecck yeh, Myspace has been a wonderful promotional tool. I've gotten a few fight offers from there and also at the last show I went to (a big muay thai show in LA) three people recognized me from myspace/youtube. So i'm getting some name recognition ;)

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolenbjorn
    Fiore and judo have actually much in common
    I was responding to this post.

Those techniques are GRAPPLING techniques. From appearances they seem only interested in teaching how to GRAPPLE. Not throw. Judo's aim is to get your opponent off balance and then THROW them. Now, many many moons ago, Judo was used to defend against weapon attacks. However, the same principle applied. Break their balance and throw them. I didnt see where there were any throws. This leads me to believe that it has a great deal more in common with Grappling arts, than Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 11:35pm

Style: WMA (various)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    I didnt see where there were any throws.
    The captions for at least half the plates indicate that they're meant to represent the beginnings of moves that will put someone on the ground. Examples: from the Getty version, see and read the 7th play (a kata guruma variant, as far as I can tell) and the 9th (explicitly described as a counterthrow to an attempted throw).
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789