222384 Bullies, 4349 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 85
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. RoninPimp is offline
    RoninPimp's Avatar

    BJJ Black Belt

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,141

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    Martial = warLIKE. Not war. If you can't see where this is going, see your local physician about having a cranio-rectal extraction performed.



    I'm not gonna bite. If you can't figure out the difference, that's your problem.

    Also, I very rarely have logic. My anus is my fact finder.
    -Explain yourself or STFU.
  2. Iscariot is offline

    I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    1,661

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:38pm


     Style: Student Jutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    -What do you think ancient warfare looked like? Add arms and armour to a Rugby scrum.
    Oops, thought you were talking to me in the last post.

    I still think I covered everything though, Rugby isn't meant to hurt the opposite team (you're only allowed to engage the person with the ball) whereas Judo is designed to hurt people, hence why ukemi is a basic part of the syllabus, to allow the judoka to survive and hurt the opponent in ground work (newaza? my Japanese isn't the best).
  3. RoninPimp is offline
    RoninPimp's Avatar

    BJJ Black Belt

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,141

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:38pm

    supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot
    Judo has it's roots in systems designed for war to do damage to other human beings. Rugby does not, it has first and foremost always been a sport. Although the team work that is taught/developed could be of benefit to soldiers, it doesn't distinguish it from another sport that also teaches the value of team work such as Volleyball.

    Hurting you opponent is what Judo techinques are designed for, scoring tries are what Rigby tackles are designed for.
    -American Football, Rugby, Hockey, and Lacrosse are all drastically different from other non or very light contact sports. Just look at modern riot control tactics to see their application.
  4. RoninPimp is offline
    RoninPimp's Avatar

    BJJ Black Belt

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,141

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot
    Oops, thought you were talking to me in the last post.

    I still think I covered everything though, Rugby isn't meant to hurt the opposite team (you're only allowed to engage the person with the ball) whereas Judo is designed to hurt people, hence why ukemi is a basic part of the syllabus, to allow the judoka to survive and hurt the opponent in ground work (newaza? my Japanese isn't the best).
    -LOL...then why so many injuries in Rugby?
  5. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,109

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:40pm

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All sports are sublimated forms of violence anyway.
  6. Iscariot is offline

    I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    1,661

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:50pm


     Style: Student Jutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    Martial = warLIKE. Not war. If you can't see where this is going, see your local physician about having a cranio-rectal extraction performed.
    This is Newbie Town, so I'm forced to be nice. Understand that you were wrong. Understand that if you'd used one of your own shitty Yank sports I wouldn't have minded, and therefore wouldn't have made you look like the idiot you are.

    Hopefully that's still within NewbieTown regulations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Pimp
    -LOL...then why so many injuries in Rugby?
    What injuries? No, seriously. I played at school and never once saw anything more than the very rare bloody nose. I've seen more injuries playing and watching the 'no contact' football than with Rugby.

    As far as riot control tactics go, I certainly think they are closer to things like rugby and hockey, but still very far away from war preperations. Admittedly I have no Military tag and have never been in the armed forces, and although I am aware that they do train to quell domestic disturbance, I always was led to believe that their primary task was to injure/maim/kill foreign opponents.
  7. pauli is offline

    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    herndon, va, usa
    Posts
    3,521

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:21pm

    supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is WMA a term used in Bullshido, btw?
    not outside of newbietown. there's you and about two other guys from europe that claim it as their style, and that's everybody that uses the term in the sense you mean.

    you will however, as mentioned, run into a number of sca/arma/retrofencers, often doing the same things; people here just use different classifications. "wma" doesn't convey any meaningful information around here.
  8. black mariah is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    399

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:43pm


     Style: None. Again.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot
    This is Newbie Town, so I'm forced to be nice. Understand that you were wrong. Understand that if you'd used one of your own shitty Yank sports I wouldn't have minded, and therefore wouldn't have made you look like the idiot you are.

    Hopefully that's still within NewbieTown regulations.
    Hrm... could you POSSIBLE be a little bit more pretentious? Your masturbatory smugness hasn't quite hurt my feelings yet. Go play with yourself, limey.

    BTW, any country that is so boring it came up with cricket has no place talking **** about another country's sports.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot
    What injuries? No, seriously. I played at school and never once saw anything more than the very rare bloody nose. I've seen more injuries playing and watching the 'no contact' football than with Rugby.
    Ah, I get it. Troll. Should have known. *pats you on the head, hands you a cookie, and sends you off to play in traffic*

    RoninPimp: Explain what? Talking out of my ass? How could you not be familiar with that concept in THIS forum?
  9. Iscariot is offline

    I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    1,661

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:50pm


     Style: Student Jutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    Hrm... could you POSSIBLE be a little bit more pretentious? Your masturbatory smugness hasn't quite hurt my feelings yet. Go play with yourself, limey.

    BTW, any country that is so boring it came up with cricket has no place talking **** about another country's sports.
    Yes, in Newbietown let's not get started on the country that plays rugby, but with 40lbs of protective gear and that stops for rests every 15 seconds, or the same country that plays rounders professionally.

    Ah, I get it. Troll. Should have known. *pats you on the head, hands you a cookie, and sends you off to play in traffic*
    Methinks you are confusing me, when I say ' 'no contact' football' I mean the game you erroneously* call soccer, not American 'Football', which I referred to in my first post.

    *Yes erroneously, as the rest of the fucking world calls it football, and we invented it and called it football, noy soccer.
  10. pauli is offline

    i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    herndon, va, usa
    Posts
    3,521

    Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can't help but think there's a better forum for you two to talk about different terms for playing with balls.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.