BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    Martial = warLIKE. Not war. If you can't see where this is going, see your local physician about having a cranio-rectal extraction performed.

I'm not gonna bite. If you can't figure out the difference, that's your problem.

Also, I very rarely have logic. My anus is my fact finder.
    -Explain yourself or STFU.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:38pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    -What do you think ancient warfare looked like? Add arms and armour to a Rugby scrum.
    Oops, thought you were talking to me in the last post.

I still think I covered everything though, Rugby isn't meant to hurt the opposite team (you're only allowed to engage the person with the ball) whereas Judo is designed to hurt people, hence why ukemi is a basic part of the syllabus, to allow the judoka to survive and hurt the opponent in ground work (newaza? my Japanese isn't the best).

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot
    Judo has it's roots in systems designed for war to do damage to other human beings. Rugby does not, it has first and foremost always been a sport. Although the team work that is taught/developed could be of benefit to soldiers, it doesn't distinguish it from another sport that also teaches the value of team work such as Volleyball.

Hurting you opponent is what Judo techinques are designed for, scoring tries are what Rigby tackles are designed for.
    -American Football, Rugby, Hockey, and Lacrosse are all drastically different from other non or very light contact sports. Just look at modern riot control tactics to see their application.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops, thought you were talking to me in the last post.

I still think I covered everything though, Rugby isn't meant to hurt the opposite team (you're only allowed to engage the person with the ball) whereas Judo is designed to hurt people, hence why ukemi is a basic part of the syllabus, to allow the judoka to survive and hurt the opponent in ground work (newaza? my Japanese isn't the best).
    -LOL...then why so many injuries in Rugby?

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:40pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All sports are sublimated forms of violence anyway.

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 3:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial = warLIKE. Not war. If you can't see where this is going, see your local physician about having a cranio-rectal extraction performed.
    This is Newbie Town, so I'm forced to be nice. Understand that you were wrong. Understand that if you'd used one of your own shitty Yank sports I wouldn't have minded, and therefore wouldn't have made you look like the idiot you are.

Hopefully that's still within NewbieTown regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Pimp
    -LOL...then why so many injuries in Rugby?
    What injuries? No, seriously. I played at school and never once saw anything more than the very rare bloody nose. I've seen more injuries playing and watching the 'no contact' football than with Rugby.

As far as riot control tactics go, I certainly think they are closer to things like rugby and hockey, but still very far away from war preperations. Admittedly I have no Military tag and have never been in the armed forces, and although I am aware that they do train to quell domestic disturbance, I always was led to believe that their primary task was to injure/maim/kill foreign opponents.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is WMA a term used in Bullshido, btw?
    not outside of newbietown. there's you and about two other guys from europe that claim it as their style, and that's everybody that uses the term in the sense you mean.

you will however, as mentioned, run into a number of sca/arma/retrofencers, often doing the same things; people here just use different classifications. "wma" doesn't convey any meaningful information around here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:43pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is Newbie Town, so I'm forced to be nice. Understand that you were wrong. Understand that if you'd used one of your own shitty Yank sports I wouldn't have minded, and therefore wouldn't have made you look like the idiot you are.

Hopefully that's still within NewbieTown regulations.
    Hrm... could you POSSIBLE be a little bit more pretentious? Your masturbatory smugness hasn't quite hurt my feelings yet. Go play with yourself, limey.

BTW, any country that is so boring it came up with cricket has no place talking **** about another country's sports.

What injuries? No, seriously. I played at school and never once saw anything more than the very rare bloody nose. I've seen more injuries playing and watching the 'no contact' football than with Rugby.
    Ah, I get it. Troll. Should have known. *pats you on the head, hands you a cookie, and sends you off to play in traffic*

RoninPimp: Explain what? Talking out of my ass? How could you not be familiar with that concept in THIS forum?

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hrm... could you POSSIBLE be a little bit more pretentious? Your masturbatory smugness hasn't quite hurt my feelings yet. Go play with yourself, limey.

BTW, any country that is so boring it came up with cricket has no place talking **** about another country's sports.
    Yes, in Newbietown let's not get started on the country that plays rugby, but with 40lbs of protective gear and that stops for rests every 15 seconds, or the same country that plays rounders professionally.

Ah, I get it. Troll. Should have known. *pats you on the head, hands you a cookie, and sends you off to play in traffic*
    Methinks you are confusing me, when I say ' 'no contact' football' I mean the game you erroneously* call soccer, not American 'Football', which I referred to in my first post.

*Yes erroneously, as the rest of the fucking world calls it football, and we invented it and called it football, noy soccer.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can't help but think there's a better forum for you two to talk about different terms for playing with balls.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast