Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:35am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alcohol and fitness

So I was just wondering how alcohol effects fitness? I have just begun really training in Muay Thai 5 days a week to prepare for a fight.
    I know it may seem like a stupid question but how much does getting drunk on the weekends really effect your fitness and training?

ps I tried searching for a similar thread but was not succesfull

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:13am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alcohol fucks up your metabolism by too-long-to-explain ways, which fucks up your nutrition, which fucks up your performance; not to mention that, if you intend to get drunk on a regular basis it's also fucking up your health.

Cheers

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dehydrates.
    Slows recovery from training sessions.
    Inhibits fat metabolism.
    Last edited by Virus; 10/22/2006 6:29am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 9:13am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alcohol also contains a surprisng amount of estrogen meaning that some of your muscle will turn into fat but I doubt that would be too noticeable unless you are the type of guy who drinks till he passes out every night. If you just drink socialy/casually I doubt it would affect you much but just to be safe I would stop drinking minimum a week before the actual fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 9:28am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kracker
    Alcohol also contains a surprisng amount of estrogen meaning that some of your muscle will turn into fat but I doubt that would be too noticeable unless you are the type of guy who drinks till he passes out every night. If you just drink socialy/casually I doubt it would affect you much but just to be safe I would stop drinking minimum a week before the actual fight.
    Are you sure about that estrogen fact?.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It dehydrates me, plus my body has to spend energy and resources in trying to metabolize it and remove the toxins. People don't realize that metabolizing/removing alcohol is extremelly taxing for the body.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 4:05pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, all this "medical" bullshit is depressing. Alcohol actually INCREASES your physical strength and causes you to metabolize fat into pure muscle at an accelerated rate. Furthermore, alcohol enhances your drunken Chi and increases your flexibility. Drunken movement will confuse and befuddle your opponent in combat.

So really, my lifestyle of constant indulgence in rum and cokes is the proper training regimen.

All this "science" crap is just going to encourage you NOT to drink, so why listen to it?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 1:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    seriously? i suggest you drop the drinking except at a "social" level. alcohol brings with it too many problems that you dont need if yu are going to be fighting. it gets me a bit of **** because the most ill have is 3-4 drinks but **** what other people think because at the end of the day, people who drink a lot become fat and ugly and nobody likes fat ugly people.

and if you do drink, drink spirits not beer. beer gut is not attractive.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 4:01am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A drink a day may actually be good for you I think. A DRINK, not a drinking session. I'd say if you are serious(want to be pro, have a fight soon) screw alcohol. Time should be spent eating, sleeping, or training. It meses up recovery being drunk does.

Peronally I only drink to get messed up a bit, and that happens at MOST once a month. I'd rather spend that time getting stronger in the gym.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 4:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    glass of red wine a day will help prevent heart disease. i cant remember there being any foundation for a beer a day keeping the doctor away though
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast