Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 4:47pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah you may be right but they still should have had a previsouly taped undercard to show instead of having essentially dead air.

The last half was much better than the first half but most of these matches were still mismatches.

This is supposed to be the Pride debut in America. They should have done something more spectacular. For anyone who usually watches the UFC and never saw Pride they would probably say "Pride sucks."

They did have to limit all of their rules (not their fault) but an intermission and showcasing fighters like baroni didn't do anything to shut up any UFC fanboys. I think Pride missed a great oppurtunity here to showcase itself to the general US public.

What Pride needs is a game show. They can have all of their top fighters storm and destroy the competition on Jeopardy or the Price is Right. Imagine Baroni guessing the price of a barbecue set.

"I don't fuckin know. Fuckin $25, no $27. Awww **** $28.50. Final answer."

They we can watch Coleman's kids cry again after their dad messes up during Final Jeopardy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:22pm

Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knowing that they might have some air time to kill they probably should have gotten some old Pride highlights from their previous shows and filled the time with that. It would have been more enjoyable to watch than to have to sit through the Pride ring girls, Japanese fighters attempting to address the crowd in broken English, hearing Trigg ramble on etc. I also could have done without having to see Coleman’s kids crying in the ring after seeing their dad get pummeled. I met Mark Coleman several years ago and he was a really nice guy, but he really should have kept his kids in the back. They’re much too young to have any idea as to what’s going on.

You’re right, by Pride standards I thought that it was a pretty mediocre card, but as I always say even the mediocre Pride cards are better than the “good” UFC cards. On many of Pride’s shows half of their under card bouts would be the main event in any other show in the world.

By running so many shows (given the amount of money that they can or are willing to pay) the overall caliber of fighters on UFC cards is beginning to suffer. The last few UFC ppv fight cards were about the same level as the free Spike fight cards with the exception of the main events.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I noticed was that a lot of the people around where I was sitting were unfamiliar with Pride, but were familiar with the UFC. Some were asking why no one was throwing elbows from side control or in the guard, and a few were also confused about the whole repositioning the fighters into the center of the ring instead of standing them both up. But there were also a few that were sort of new to MMA in general. Like when Barnett landed that toe hold, most didn't catch it until they replayed it a few times. I was saying to my older brother (who I'm trying to get into BJJ) "he's going for the toe hold, it could end here", then when the guy tapped a few of the spectators around us were wondering what happened.

One thing that was different than the UFC is definitely the fighter intros. Being there really turns things up a notch. I prefer Pride's overly hyped fighter intros, but they ALL had the worst music (like generic rap, rock, and electronica that you would hear from no budget x-Box games). Even their awesome highlight clip with anime sprinkled in had the gayest music (although the video itself was awesome). UFC falls back on the overused rap-rock, but it works much better IMO.

The UFC feels like a legitimate sporting event, but Pride feels like you're watching Street Fighter 2 match ups in person. I mean The place exploded when they announced Butter Bean (I gotta admit when he KO'd O'Hare, I was out of my seat as well).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 7:28pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have any of you fuckwits ever been to a sporting event? They ALL have intermission in one form or another. Halftime... seventh inning stretch.... sound familiar?

Grow the **** up and leave your houses sometimes. You'll be surprised what doesn't get shown on delay broadcast TV.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 9:15pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious - I heard a rumor online and was wondering if anyone caught that Pride had posted some of the results (particularly to the Randleman/Shogun fight) before the fights had taken place? (again - just a rumor I heard and I am wondering if anyone can verify it for me)

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could have posted the randleman outcome in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:15pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'd predict a kneebar? wow.

They must have known that most of these fights wouldn't go too long. I mean the Butterbean fight? The Baroni fight as well... once Nishijima touches the ground its basically over. Fedor vs Coleman was a given. That's at least 30 minutes of time right there.

So yeah, I think they could have done a better job and prepared something more for that time.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chuck Norris was in the audience! :D

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Against people with technical ability beyond takedowns, it is easy to predict a randleman loss.

('._.)

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 5:16pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked how Silva called out "Chuck" then went to the audience and greeted Chuck Norris, some people unfamiliar with MMA might have gotten that one wrong lol

All in all an entertainin show, but too many mismatches. And it was really dramatic when Colemans daughters came into the ring. Damn, I nearly cried.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast