Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546061626364 6566 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 6:58pm

Style: Mauy Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is that why he can't formulate a coherent sentence? ****, he's mocking us! and I thought that was just indicative of the man's intelligence quotient.....silly me....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 7:19pm

Style: MT,BJJ noob.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually there's more I can say about my experience without giving anything away. Much if it has been said before though, and I feel as though I'm beating a dead horse. But perhaps the horse continues to deserve it in this case.

Probably the first moment that it really sunk in that FSD was pretty useless was when I started sparring. My thoughts throughout went something like this:

- OK, remember what you've learned and try to apply it.
    - Hmm. Taun Sao doesn't seem to be working. For that matter just about nothing is working except maybe the paksao.
    - What do I do now? Improvise I guess.
    ( I proceeded to try to do the best pidgin kickboxing I could. )
    - Hmm, this seems to be what everyone is doing. Why am I not just taking a kickboxing class if all the rest of this stuff is useless?

The grappling we did do never felt sufficient, either. Again, lots of improvising. The weapons classes weren't terrible but why don't I just take kali once a week instead? Also, it happened often enough that the instructors would explicitly contradict each other's instructions in the space of 30 seconds.

The "leadership team" runs many of the classes, does almost all the work (so far as I can see) and they're actually paying FSD to do it! That always struck me as ridiculous.

Then there were all the public demos and recruitment efforts we were constantly subjected to. The real kicker was the introduction of the stupid graduation ceremonies. It made the whole affair seem less serious, firstly, (what are we, kids? what is this? a tony robbins seminar?), and left me in particular feeling blatantly taken advantage of. I had been planning on leaving anyway but this was the last straw.

Overall the experience really reminded me of telemarketing for some reason. (which I did when I was 14-15: 700$ for four years of magazines. It's a great deal!). There you have it: FSD, comparable to spending 700$ on magazines.

The sad thing is that I think the location I went to was actually the best of the bunch.

P.S. They've actually raised the prices in the last couple months I think.
    Last edited by myrmecophilous; 2/20/2007 7:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nu-uh! from what to what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 7:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BBC was 175/mo with registration fees and a 97$ annual renewal. Regular classes were 133/mo for 6 months + ~150 registration. I don't know what the new prices are but they said they were going up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 9:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex-FSD (Happy?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by myrmecophilous
    BBC was 175/mo with registration fees and a 97$ annual renewal. Regular classes were 133/mo for 6 months + ~150 registration. I don't know what the new prices are but they said they were going up.
    Man you gotta be freaking kidding? It was $45-50/mos when I attended class. Plus $25 per sash test. The BBC was 5k but you could pay in installments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared75
    Man you gotta be freaking kidding? It was $45-50/mos when I attended class. Plus $25 per sash test. The BBC was 5k but you could pay in installments.
    I kid you not.

BTW I take back what I said about the weapons classes there. Having just taken a real Kali class I now have something to compare to. The weapons at FSD is... sub par. I heard somewhere that all the Kali in FSD was originally learnt from instructional videos. It's not so unbelievable now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 7:26am

Style: MT. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How can the Kali class be sub par, when MP is ONE OF THE BEST WEAPONS EXPERTS IN THE WORLD!?!?!?!? I saw it on a DVD, son!!!!! That **** will stand up in a court of law!!!

myrmecophilous , your sparring and grappling experience seems to echo my own, and many others who have posted here. As far as prices going up, and grad ceremonies? Well that just rocks!!! I hope someone video tapes one of them. I'd love to see that ****!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kid you not.

I heard somewhere that all the Kali in FSD was originally learnt from instructional videos. It's not so unbelievable now.
    Ditto. Heard they ripped it off of Paul Vunak's (Inosanto alumnus) video from the 80's.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 1:58am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    - OK, remember what you've learned and try to apply it.
    - Hmm, except we never train with resisting partners so that thought goes out the window...

- Hmm. Taun Sao doesn't seem to be working. For that matter just about nothing is working except maybe the paksao.
    - See if you would have attended the 'Paksao Combat Ready' seminar you'd have been more prepared to deal with this eventuality.

- What do I do now? Improvise I guess.
    - Ah, see but the answer is "You just didn't train hard enough."

- Hmm, this seems to be what everyone is doing. Why am I not just taking a kickboxing class if all the rest of this stuff is useless?
    - Because, duh, Seafood doesn't do a 'Kickboxing' seminar. If you were in the Super Secret BBC you'd know this already.

Ah the logic of FSD, it's so much tastier when someone walks through the thought pattern when they've officially stopped doing Kool Aid shooters before class!

Welcome to the dark side.

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 2:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt

Welcome to the dark side.

TKD
    Good to be here. I never liked Koolaid anyway.