Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 7:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What sweeps can you set up from a failed triangle? Unless you are considering the omoplata a sweep ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 8:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another tactic for fixing a triangle that won't close- perhaps they have their hips under them/ are stacking you? In that situation it would also be hard to close your legs.

So, break the guy down, pull his head forward and off balance. I've never seen someone with legs so short that they were unable to close their legs, with proper technique.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 5:20am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zankou
    What sweeps can you set up from a failed triangle? Unless you are considering the omoplata a sweep ...
    I was mainly thinking of the omoplata sweep, and its variations, but I know a blue belt who gets his training partners in loose triangles and then sweeps them by underhooking their legs, if the triangle is not tight enough to submit to. I usually work for the omoplata and straight armlock, although I know people who get kimuras and wristlocks from there as well.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 7:12am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would omoplata, the thing is this:
    I like the triangle and only using it to set up omoplats defeats its choke-tastic purpose
    I am not allowed to armbar in competition because of local judo tourney ruleset. x.x

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 11:24am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    I love being me (stocky WITH long legs)
    Dear god, I imagined Kermit the Frog when I read that :)

Well, as many have said here, each body type has a different advantage. I find that the lanky guys are much better at triangles and sweeps, I am a stocky guy myself and I actually prefer (or at least end up in) the guard. My elbow knee pass is great and I find that I'm always getting guy's legs for leg locks.

The one thing that I've noticed when fighting lanky guys is that my lower center of gravity is my best friend. The moment a lanky guy goes to throw me, I drop my weight and most of the time the throw is diffused. On the ground, I find my denser mass is better for 'bowling over' lanky opponents. Not that using strength is recommended over technique, but I do find it easier to throw my weight into it to get better position.

Anyways, hope that helps...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 11:00pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    and their centers of gravity two inches below the mat.
    Funniest thing I read all day!

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 1:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_990
    Well, as many have said here, each body type has a different advantage. I find that the lanky guys are much better at triangles and sweeps.
    I don't think you can make that generalization. Rigan Machado is a stocky guy, and catches people in triangles like a venus flytrap.

Sometimes also being stocky or lanky depends on who else is at class. One night I may be the stocky guy, another the lanky one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy
    I don't think you can make that generalization. Rigan Machado is a stocky guy, and catches people in triangles like a venus flytrap.

Sometimes also being stocky or lanky depends on who else is at class. One night I may be the stocky guy, another the lanky one.
    To clarify, all the lanky guys (as in around 6 ft tall and bean pole thin) that I have faced have generally been very good at triangles as they can wrap their legs around an opponent very easy, where as I had a hell of a time learning triangles due to having short legs. Now I have the motion down, it's pretty easy.

Not saying that EVERY lanky guy is a wiz at the triangle, it just seems to be from the one's I've faced that they are naturally better at it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2006 5:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2006 1:51am

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata
    Lets see if I can summarize so far:

Stocky guys: short limbs/necks, so hard to submit. Low center of gravity, so harder to take down. Generally top players, weaker guard game (except perhaps X guard). Short, heavy body makes for good control when on top.
    Well this pretty much sums up my game. I prefer to be on top, but when I play the guard I generally play a butterfly/x/halfguard game, although I've been trying to improve my closed guard.

One thing you could try that I like is to use the no-gi modified spider guard, where instead of placing your feet on the biceps and holding the sleeves, you put your feet on the hips, shins on the biceps, and trap the arms to your shins by holding the back of the triceps. You can use this to set up triangles and omoplatas, transition to butterfly, or not get punched in mma.

When I'm on top, the knee-in-the-middle pass is my bread and butter. Having shorter limbs, it's easier to get the knee in, and since you have a lower center of gravity, it's harder to get swept.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123