Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:41pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's encouraging to know that lanky guys are not automatically disadvantaged in grappling. When I took a little Judo back in the day us tall guys were **** at hip throws, and I was hoping that the same principle didn't carry over to grappling. Anyway, having rolled a little with both lanky and stocky guys I can tell you that to a lanky guy, stocky guys are very scary in their own right with their seemingly immovable bodies and their centers of gravity two inches below the mat.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:56pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just look at Arona and Noguiera. Both are awesome BJJ:ers, but they're built very differently and have very contrasting styles. Noguiera is tall and lanky, and has an excelent guard game, while Arona is stocky and more of an explosive, top position based game (although I guess it could be argued that Arona's style is closer to what one would expect of a fighter with a wrestling rather than BJJ base).
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:47pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as a tall lanky guy, beware what you wish for ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 10:32pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really germane to the topic, but as the OP calls himself Res Judicata . . .

I had a client once who called it "Ray Jukey Dootie." Needless to say, he didn't win.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 12:36pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to all for your responses. I guess there is a bit of grass-is-greener effect. I still have a hard freaking time with lanky guys, especially in their guards. I almost prefer having to work out from under side control than from guard.

Lets see if I can summarize so far:

Stocky guys: short limbs/necks, so hard to submit. Low center of gravity, so harder to take down. Generally top players, weaker guard game (except perhaps X guard). Short, heavy body makes for good control when on top.

Lanky guys: long limbs, so easier to take the back/move around the body. Higher center of gravity so somewhat easier to take down. Generally guard players, with a strong guard game. Harder time when pinned under side cotnrol/mount.

Perhaps part of my problem is that my instructors (like a lot of the Gracies) generally are lanky guys. And the lankly guys favor the guard.

Epicurus,
    Lanky guys can be damn good at foot and leg sweeps. But us stocky guys are more natural hipthrowers. Of course, there's a cure for lankiness -- food and strength training ("squats and milk!")

Rush2024,
    What can I say, I'm a law dork :) Of course, I actually understand the preclusion doctrines . . .

rawr

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Mushin Dao, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :laughing6 @ "SQUATS AN' MILK!" because I've actually seen that comic.

everything said here about tall lanky guys really applies to me, although I have been developing a better top game and takedowns recently. also I seem to have a good time at using upper body takedowns instead of shooting on the legs. I fucking HATE being under a tight side mount too.
    I think it was two ninjas taped together, to make one GIANT NINJA!!!!

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 1:14pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate big fat guys WITH long legs and arms.... eeerrrrrrrggggg ::mumbles:: goddamned freaks of fucking nature ::mumbles::

But being on the shorter yer fatter stack myself, I find that working my guard is tougher too, but sweeping from it and getting on top is a littler easier for some reason so I try not to stay there very long, y'know?

I DID try a triangle a little while back and was able to get everything but my foot locked in! It was infuriating, but no matter what I did I COULDN'T LOCK THE FOOT IN. I'll have to try the what was it? Shifting to the side? I think the triangle is a nasty choke and I love trying it but my legs/hips were made for throwin' not chokin' it seems x.x

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there are two things you can try. First, shift to the side and grab the inside of their leg and pull their arm. This generally breaks their posture somewhat and gives you a better angle. The second thing is to simply grab your own foot and pull it in, but that doesn't work as well for me because it scews up the angle somewhat. Still, it works for a lot of guys it seems.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 3:18pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    there are two things you can try. First, shift to the side and grab the inside of their leg and pull their arm. This generally breaks their posture somewhat and gives you a better angle. The second thing is to simply grab your own foot and pull it in, but that doesn't work as well for me because it scews up the angle somewhat. Still, it works for a lot of guys it seems.
    Thanks, I'll try both those in newaza tomorrow.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 3:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course, some guys you shouldn't even attempt to triangle. If they have a huge neck and chest, it's going to be very difficult to get an adequate grip. Also, failed triangles are good set ups for armlocks, omoplatas and sweeps.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast