Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 7:20pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hand injury that won't go away

A few weeks ago I had this temp job filing a shitload of papers. The pinky finger on my right hand developed some kind of inflammation or some **** around the base knuckle. I can move it just fine, and it doesn't bother me in judo, but if I squeeze the joint (please, no "don't do that") it will lock up. Additionally, there's a small bump on the knuckle that wasn't there before.

Unfortunately, the doctor isn't an option right now or I'd have been there already. :|

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 8:08pm

Style: Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No cheap-ass clinics that will render an opinion for fitty dollars? Could be a sprain, fracture, dislocation- probably the old "jammed finger" and since it hasn't worked itself out, you probably need an expert to pop it back in place and assess for ligament tearing. Studies show the joint at the base of the finger connecting to the hand are the most prone to jam injury.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 11:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But would any of those things leave me with a finger that works perfectly all the time... unless it gets pressed a certain way? That's the weird bit. I'm in no pain at all, and my grip hasn't weakened any.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    loose bone chip that only causes trouble when pressed into the joint?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 3:41am

Style: Capoeira Angola

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you taken any supplements with ingredients derived from shellfish? Something similar happened to me taking glucosamine tablets for hand pains, but the swelling was the big toe of the right foot. You could have also developed an injury from training without realizing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 4:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    loose bone chip that only causes trouble when pressed into the joint?
    Possible. Where it is, it feels more like the end of a tendon or some ****.

Quote Originally Posted by cafezinho
    Have you taken any supplements with ingredients derived from shellfish? Something similar happened to me taking glucosamine tablets for hand pains, but the swelling was the big toe of the right foot. You could have also developed an injury from training without realizing it.
    No. I don't take supplements, although I should definitely look into a good multivitamin.

This problem developed before I started judo, so I know it isn't a training injury.

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 7:39pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This problem developed before I started judo, so I know it isn't a training injury
    Well to cure the problem one would have to remove the cause: stop masterbating so much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 11:38pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    A few weeks ago I had this temp job filing a shitload of papers. The pinky finger on my right hand developed some kind of inflammation or some **** around the base knuckle. I can move it just fine, and it doesn't bother me in judo, but if I squeeze the joint (please, no "don't do that") it will lock up. Additionally, there's a small bump on the knuckle that wasn't there before.

Unfortunately, the doctor isn't an option right now or I'd have been there already. :|

Your very, very short description sounds like tenosynovitis (inflamation of the synovium -membrane that sorrounds the inside of the joint- and overlying tendom), which in your case is probably due to repeated trauma. You will live, but it will not get better soon, less sooner if you don't give it proper rest, and even with proper rest you might still need intraarticular steroids or even rehab (depending on how bad it is). Provided it acutally is tenosynovitis of course, which can only be told through a doctor's evaluation.

P.S. Yes, stop squeezing the damn thing, it hurts for a reason.