Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 11:29pm

Style: None. Again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    Escaping isn't about pushing with your arms. Its about moving your hips. And get off your back and onto your side.
    True, but the arms keep you from getting pinned in the first place. As it stands all most of the guys have to do is wait for my arms to give then lay on top of me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 9:00am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bump and shrimp , repeat until your back in guard, it will take time and practice, I know this cuase I still can't do it well :P You legs are strongest part of your body, USE THEM.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are they doing once they just lay on top of you? Are they working for different position, are they looking for sumissions, are they just sitting their?

When I get in a position like that and I am completely stuck and it happens over and over I either ask my instructor for pointers or I ask the person who I am working with for pointers. If you can't counter what they are doing then their skill level is going to stagnate - if they can help you solve the problem then it is going to in turn force them to get better too.

I agree with what has been said - work first not to get caught flat on your back, and secondly it's not about pushing your larger partner away from you, but bracing on them and moving your body away from them (of course when you are flat on your back you can't accomplish this so you need to get them moving first - sometimes by baiting them with an easy positional change for them, or baiting them by giving them a submission).
    Last edited by Student; 10/21/2006 10:45am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Escaping isn't about pushing with your arms. Its about moving your hips. And get off your back and onto your side.
    Highlighted for relevance. This is something I keep forgetting when it's time to roll. It's incredible how much pressure is relieved just by moving to your side, even if just by a little.

Black Mariah, the flatter your back is on the floor, the greater the pressure they can concentrate on your chest. And with 70lbs over you, that must feel like ****.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 2:21pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bottom line is that if someone has a good side control/1000 kilos with low hips and good base it is going to be more difficult to escape. There are about 5 escapes I've been taught, but all start with getting your hips out, as RP stressed. For more detail on that, the bump or upa goes up to a certain height. Hip out on the way down from the top. That's always a struggle, between you shrimping out and opponent trying to flatten you back again. If you can time something to be synch'd with when your opponent is shifting their weight to go for something, that can make it a little easier. Earlier on, work to be quicker at snagging half guard in transition and / or getting the far side underhook going in so you can sit up into their middle. That's where you have more options, not flattened out.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    True, but the arms keep you from getting pinned in the first place. As it stands all most of the guys have to do is wait for my arms to give then lay on top of me.
    -No, hip movement keeps you from getting pinned in the first place. Don't get me wrong, a strong push with your arms is good, but the key is hip movement.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 4:03pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do get more used to it, and you also learn to scramble a little better and don't get flattened out so bad when the guy lands on top of you in the first place.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by black mariah
    Gayest thread title ever, but whatever...

I have a serious problem with guys laying on top of me. Namely, I can't fucking breathe and it hurts like a ************. This blows because I can slip out of pretty much any pin... unless it's my chest being pinned as in yoko shiho gatame or something similar.

Is this something you just get used to, or is it something that conditioning can help with?
    Aeso will never forgive me, but it has to be said: HOW DO ESCAPE
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 10:20pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bump and shrimp. Repeat until you recover guard.
    Can't really repeat this enough.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 9:22am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Can't really repeat this enough.

Actually, you can stop repeating it after you recover guard.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast