Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 9:13pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight training to prevent injuries

Iíve seen people mention "preventative" training on other threads but havenít managed find any details. What kind of strength and conditioning exercises can be done to help prevent injuries that people in fighting sports often suffer?

**** you math class

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Simulate punches by hitting yuourself in the face with 10lb plates.

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 9:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Simulate punches by hitting yuourself in the face with 10lb plates.
    Dumbass

I'm talking about joint and movement related injuries.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 11:17pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flexibility exercises for major joints and the neck can help prevent serious injury. If you have tight muscles, you will have a limited range of motion and a greater chance for injury if you exert yourself or have a great strain placed on your muscles.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 11:44pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shoulders and knees tend to be the most commonly damaged joints, although any place that the body might possibly consider bending is fair game for grapplers.

Injury prevention -- on a very basic level -- is about ensuring that you're using your muscles, posture and (help me Jesus) your core properly; that you're relatively free of muscular imbalances; that you're capable of stabilizing and otherwise dealing with loads at weird angles; and that you're strong enough to maintain normal range of motion under acute stress.

I can give you examples, but I have a feeling that they'll just bore you. Here's one anyway:

Shoulder separations are fairly common. Prevention includes ensuring adequate strength and functionality of the rotator cuff muscles and the serratus anterior. External rotations (just like this fashionable fellow is performing) would be an example.
    Last edited by Bang!; 10/19/2006 11:51pm at .

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 12:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can give you examples, but I have a feeling that they'll just bore you. Here's one anyway
    Examples are exactly what I want. My current weight program is basic and works the big muscles (squats, bench press, should press, rows, etc). I want to add some exercises (such as the one you listed) to help prevent injuries.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 1:09am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See Complete Conditioning for Martial Arts by Sean Cochrane for more stuff like that.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 7:34am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th
    Examples are exactly what I want. My current weight program is basic and works the big muscles (squats, bench press, should press, rows, etc). I want to add some exercises (such as the one you listed) to help prevent injuries.
    What you have to understand is that injury prevention for someone who is already working out iis a whole other can of worms.

The exercises you've listed are all swell, but . . . It's overdoing it that usually kills people. You've got to vary both exercises and intensities to let your body recover. Basically, if it hurts, stop doing it. Coming back to the shoulders, you might already have a physical predisposition to injury, so presses may have to be subsituted out altogether if they cause any pain, while rear squats should be occasionally swapped for variations that don't put your shoulders in such an extreme range of movement (front squats, split squats, etc. are fine subs). Even the bench press is a bitch if you're sticking your elbows out like schmoes in gyms across the nation.

You also have to look at muscular imbalances. There are too many details to get into here, but a good general rule of thumb is to look at movement and balance pushing vs. pulling; raising vs. lowering the shoulder blades; and movements where the upper arm is close to the body vs. movements where it's away from the body.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 1:11pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    symetry, proper form and consistancy. Either hire a personal trainer to go over a routine for you or if you feel your form is good enough there are plenty of sport specific workout books out there. Knees and shoulders are the two biggest. I've had problems with both and am predisposed especially for my shoulders. One excercise that has helped immensly for preventing shoulder injury are flys or pecdeck workouts, they help strengthen the front head of the shoulders which is the weakest of the three parts of your deltoids. If you hire a trainer hire them for a couple of days tell them what specifically you want and every two or three months check in with them to tweak the regiment. You shouldn't do the same work out for more thean three to four months since the muscles will develop memory and you will plateau out.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/20/2006 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello. I like these kind of threads by the way.

As pple here have pointed out, it is necessary to have good strenght and flexibility to avoid injuries. Shoulders and knees are usually the ones that pop first, but it can also be hips, ankles, neck, wrists, anything that can be bent or twisted in the human body.

Check out this post I wrote a while ago on flexibility here. In tandem, check out this other post I made last night on how to build streght to minimize the posibility of knee injuries here.

Hope it helps!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast