Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 4:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobed
    It's the specific kind of athleticism in capoeira that attracts me -- the powerful jumping acrobatic type of athleticism...but ya, you found me out, it's mostly the brazilian girls. JK

As I mentioned before, I've been in legitmate fighting arts for seventeen years, won several sparring tournaments, and lived in Japan while I trained with members of the Japanese national karate team.

I'm looking for something different now.
    Judo is something different from what you have done.

Any form of wrestling or grappling will be different from what you have done.

There are many striking arts that are very different from Karate that incorporate more elaborate kicks (if that's what you want).

BJJ is also something very different from what you have done and someone kindly offered you a free class and you turned them down.

I would encourage you to be a little more open minded it's just one class. You seem like the kind of guy who would respect that. I promise you its nothing like you've ever done and you will get a totally different perspective.

Also I did cartwheels in my BJJ warm up yesterday so hey they've got that covered too...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 4:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Jobed is why I refuse to go to California....i imagine the whole state is like him. I know it is ignorant, but that is just how I feel.

As far as deep and meditative:
    Those who strive to be dry, should not jump in the pool. For the pool is filled with the wetness of the soul. But, if you strongly believe you are dry, whilst in the depths of the pool, then you remain dry. Why? Because you are an idiot and don't live in reality.

i edited out the personal attack
    Yes, it most certainly is ignorant.

Maybe I should train BJJ, because it's really my life's goal to impress a bunch of people on the internet -- people who are oh so very tough behind their computer screens.

Interesting how many replies I've gotten that are by people who have no interest in helping someone out who's asking for advice, but instead are only interested in impressing their internet buddies by making themselves look smart, funny. or tough behind the comfort of their computer screen. If you don't have anything to say that it of worth to someone other than yourself, feel free not to say anything at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 4:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Maybe I should train BJJ, because it's really my life's goal to impress a bunch of people on the internet -- people who are oh so very tough behind their computer screens.

Interesting how many replies I've gotten that are by people who have no interest in helping someone out who's asking for advice, but instead are only interested in impressing their internet buddies by making themselves look smart, funny. or tough behind the comfort of their computer screen. If you don't have anything to say that it of worth to someone other than yourself, feel free not to say anything at all.
    Dude you can't take this stuff seriously. But forget all those guys.

My life goal is not to impress anyone on the internet. I could ramble off a bunch of BS that would "sound impressive" if I wanted to but I'm not going to do that.

I am trying to convince you that you need a different perspective. It has nothing to do with being tough. I promise you that you will meet alot of cool people who will not judge you for anything you may have done.

Just take a chance and try something different. How could it possibly hurt you?

If nothing at all it will help you confirm that it is something you are truly not interested and don't want to do.

I'm only mentioning it because there was a time when I might have said I wasn't interested and yet I know now that if would have just tried it out I would have been hooked from day one.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 4:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonBelmont
    Judo is something different from what you have done.

Any form of wrestling or grappling will be different from what you have done.

There are many striking arts that are very different from Karate that incorporate more elaborate kicks (if that's what you want).

BJJ is also something very different from what you have done and someone kindly offered you a free class and you turned them down.

I would encourage you to be a little more open minded it's just one class. You seem like the kind of guy who would respect that. I promise you its nothing like you've ever done and you will get a totally different perspective.

Also I did cartwheels in my BJJ warm up yesterday so hey they've got that covered too...
    Yes, I agree that all of those things are different. I've trained with many of my friends who take BJJ. Look, I respect BJJ a lot. It's a great art for people looking to become better fighters, no doubt about that. But it's not what I'm interested in doing at this point in my life. Satori, the man who offered me that class, understands that perfectly, and he has been kind enought to point me in the direction of some other things that might be more of what I'm looking for.

Judo is actually something I'm interested in. One of the studios Satori reccomnded seems like it has some elements of Judo, JJ, aikido type stuff. I'm going to look into some things now that I've found out that Taijutsu is full of frauds.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 5:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your cup is too full.
    You must leave me room in yours to fill it.

Ignorance is not shameful, but when you choose willful ignorance . . . well . . . your cup is cracked.

--J.D.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 5:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting how many replies I've gotten that are by people who have no interest in helping someone out who's asking for advice, but instead are only interested in [i]BLAH!BLAH!BLAH!
    You were not interested in advice.

You wanted affirmation of your belief system.

Reality dictated otherwise.

MAP will affirm your delusions.

--J.D.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 5:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    You were not interested in advice.

You wanted affirmation of your belief system.

--J.D.
    Yes, you're right. It's a shame I didn't realize it sooner. Thank you again for your wonderful advice.

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 5:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hang on, I've got a GREAT come back to this!

Wait a moment..... nearly got it......

Nope.....

Damn you! How dare you expose us so!

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 8:37pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

If you don't want to get gored by the horns don't play with the bull.

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 9:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jobed,

I grew up in Vista...where are you at?

Also, I think I found the perfect martial art for you.

Danzan Ryu Jujitsu!

http://www.profhudson.com/dojo.html

The school is located in Solana Beach.

It is a hawaiin Jujitsu/Judo based art that incorporates aspects of traditional japanese systems AND internal healing arts.

The founder, Okazaki Sensei, is reknown for being a Hawaiin badass that defeated a famous boxer in a challenge match. From what I've read, he stressed the healing aspects of martial arts as much as the combative aspects.

Sounds like something you'd be interested in!

Also, make sure you keep tabs on the Throwdown section. The San Diego Throwdown crew is a very laid back, diverse group that meets up a few times each year. The Throwdowns are typically held in Carlsbad at the North County Fight Club school, and hosted by Bud Shi Dhist.

Despite the name, you DON'T need to spar at all if you don't want to. If you're concerned about getting mobbed by a bunch of MMA thugs...don't be. Our group usually consists of at least a handful of Kenpoists, Boxers, and TKD stylists. It isn't a tournament or competition...just a bunch of guys (and girls) getting together to bullshit and train.

Also, your age means that you'll be able to get beers with us afterwards ;)

Either way, good luck in finding a school and let me know if you need anything else. You should be able to PM now, so don't be shy.

Peace.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast