Posted On:
    10/18/2006 3:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobed
    Dr. X,

You sure have a whole lot of very WAAA!!! STOP RUINING MY DREAMS!! MY DREAMS!!!

"Can't help fools!"

--J.D.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 12:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dr. X,

Your cup is too full.

Katana,

Thanks for the helpful reply. As for Glenn Morris, I'm sure that what he taught was worth knowing. I think in 1993 he won the American martial arts instructor of the year award, his books are incredibly fascinating and well written, and he was a university professor who taught several classes.

As for the legitimacy of certain chi kung and healing methods, it's not something I need to be convinced of at this point. As I mentioned previously, I have been studying chi kung and healing methods on my own for about a year now, and I know it's real. Like anything else, especially martial arts, it requires persistence, dedication and good teachers/books in order to be succesful.

At the Anaguma Bujinkan class I went to last week, I actually asked the instructors about their emphasis on chi kung and meditation. They said they really don't teach it. The two instructors there go to Japan to train with Maasaki Hatsumi twice a year, but they didn't try to play it off as if they are his personal students. They said that they go with an American guy who is one of his students and basically Hatsumi shows a technique, and then the two instructors along with the American student of Hatsumi's all try to figure out on their own how to do it. They essentially said that chi kung, meditation, and healing techniques are only reserved for people who are extremely high up in the ranks and who are personal students of Hatsumi.

Anyway, now that I know all this about Bujinkan, I think I'm giving up on studying it until I can find a legitimate personal student of Hatsumi's to learn from. In the mean time, I'm gonna go work on my athleticism in capoeira.

I'm going to Israel in a few months, so maybe I'll try to study with Doron Navon who was Hatsumi's first non-Japanese student and who Glenn Morris has a great deal of respect for.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Jobed; 10/18/2006 1:10pm at .

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyway, now that I know all this about Bujinkan, I think I'm giving up on studying it until I can find a legitimate personal student of Hatsumi's to learn from. In the mean time, I'm gonna go work on my athleticism in capoeira.
    One final comment. Many people who are over Godan (5th Dan) in the bujinkan frequently make the claim to be "personal students" of Hatsumi. There was a time when Hatsumi was the only one to promote over fifth Dan so everyone said they were his personal student because he was the guy to go to for promotion. As the ranks swelled he eventually tacked on 11th-15th Dan. Then he stated that he would only really be teaching 10th+ Dans. So now anyone 10th+ Dan can now claim to be a personal student of Hatsumi.

I believe that Hatsumi tells most people he wants them to be his personal student to make them feel good. I mean when you go to Japan maybe once a year to train and even then for a relatively short period how personal can you really be (especially when you probably don't speak Japanese)? So basically you'll run into lots of people who will say they are "personal students" of Hatsumi but it doesn't mean much in my opinion most of the time. In fact I typically see people claim "personal student" status as a way to make themselves seem better than other instructors/schools/etc. Alas, I knew many people who were "personal students" of Hatsumi and knew exactly nothing about healing arts, etc.

In my opinion, anyone claiming to be a "personal student" of Hatsumi's who hasn't lived in Japan to train and preferably speaks Japanese is fooling themselves. But, that's just my opinion.

Also I think Capoiera is neat and I tried a few classes once just for kicks (no pun intended). If you want to develop athleticism and fighting skills why not go to a BJJ or MMA school? I get the best workout of my life doing BJJ/MMA sparring.

I'm going to Israel in a few months, so maybe I'll try to study with Doron Navon who was Hatsumi's first non-Japanese student and who Glenn Morris has a great deal of respect for.

Thanks again.
    No problem. Good luck in your training but keep a skeptical mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 1:19pm

Style: Capoeira Angola

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In what sense do you want to incorporate healing and meditation into your martial arts studies, or better, what do you expect is the relationship between healing, meditation, and MA that it would all come full circle for you? Are you looking for some kind of complete cultural package?

For instance Austin has seven capoeira schools, one of the best Samba Blocos in the US, BJJ, quirrodas de samba, the Brazil Institute at UT, several stores catering to brazilians, brazilian restaurants, traditional brazilian musical groups including a choro group and two forro groups, a Chico Science/Jorge Ben cover group and a Bumba-Meu-Boi, lots of bossa nova musicians, futebol, a denomination of Jehova's Witnesses made up entirely of Brazilian immigrants, and some 6-7000 brazilians. If you one were so inclined, one could literally become brazilian here, minus the favelas, complete with feijoada, açai flavored icecream, and your choice of guaraná or antartica beer at every meal. Unfortunately you have to go to Houston for the good churrascarias.

My question is, are you trying to become more Japanese?
    Last edited by cafezinho; 10/18/2006 1:22pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 1:36pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not find a legitimate fighting style to work on your athleticism?

Or let me rephrase that: What about Capoeira attracts you? Is it the music, the dancing, the pretty Brazilian girls? Because if it is only the athleticism that you want you could try out legimitate striking or grappling art and kill two birds with one stone. You would be working on your athleticism and you would expose yourself to a legitimate fighting art. Additionally, you would gain a different perspecitve into MAs.

Just an idea. It's not like I think there is anything wrong with Capoeira my girlfriend who is Brazilian used to practice Capoeira. She also used to do Ballet and Modern Dance... All very athletic art forms but not exactly practical in a fight.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 2:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the specific kind of athleticism in capoeira that attracts me -- the powerful jumping acrobatic type of athleticism...but ya, you found me out, it's mostly the brazilian girls. JK

As I mentioned before, I've been in legitmate fighting arts for seventeen years, won several sparring tournaments, and lived in Japan while I trained with members of the Japanese national karate team.

I'm looking for something different now.
    Last edited by Jobed; 10/18/2006 2:26pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 3:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jobed is why I refuse to go to California....i imagine the whole state is like him. I know it is ignorant, but that is just how I feel.

As far as deep and meditative:
    Those who strive to be dry, should not jump in the pool. For the pool is filled with the wetness of the soul. But, if you strongly believe you are dry, whilst in the depths of the pool, then you remain dry. Why? Because you are an idiot and don't live in reality.

i edited out the personal attack
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did the ninjer thing for one week. One day the instructor said something to the effect. "None of you really know how to take a punch" and basically told the students they wouldn't do well in a real fight. The instructor was a cop who also trained in boxing and some other real striking arts. He readily admitted the ninjitsu thing was not for combat.

The drills were silly, the techniques overly complicated. This, combined with fat brownbelts, uncoordinated high-level students and a myriad of other reasons made me realize this was not the place to train.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 4:09pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks again.
    Doron no longer (on hiatus, his words) from the Bujinkan, as he is musch more into his Feldenkrais these days. But if you are in Isreal check out Moti Navi at the Bujinkan Isreal dojo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 4:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Jobed is why I refuse to go to California....i imagine the whole state is like him. I know it is ignorant, but that is just how I feel.
    I get the feeling you've never been to California...

Count the number of world class MAs in California count the number of world class Fighters in California. For you BJJ nutriders: count the number of Gracies in California.

**** it forget all that...

Consider for one moment the multitude of smoking hot babes in California.

No dude, no offense but you're dead wrong on this one. Trust me I was born in Houston, Texas lived there for almost 12 years of my life, not a bad place. Still:

YOU WANT TO BE IN CALIFORNIA. Take my word for it or at least just try it out first before you knock it.

Don't let guys like this "nobed" character turn you away.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast