Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 8:27pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    chi kung is a chinese, not ninja
    healing isn't a real part of martial arts
    meditation- see above, it might of been useful way back when they needed a way to psych up/ find a reason to go up and actually kill people, but its pretty much useless now, just go do yoga or something.

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 9:01pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could probably do better for yourself if you just found a good teacher teaching meditation and healing techniques and left the martial arts out of it.

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 9:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jobed, I really think that you are perhaps buying into a bizarre misrepreesntation of martial arts, the type that 80's movies helped to create.
    If you want a martial art, thats excellent. If you want healing and meditation, then I guess thats fine. But I really dont think you will find a place that does BOTH to a decent standard.
    Those that claim to are typically LARP fests.

Although I hate to say this, I really think you might be more at home on the Ashida Kim message boards?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 9:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for your opinion. I have never read an Ashida Kim book. My notion of Taijutsu is based on my reading of two of Glenn Morris's books. It seems most if not all of you are not familiar with those books, otherwise you would know what I'm taking about.

But based on what you guys are saying (at least those of you not too busy trying to be tough over the internet, making snide irrelevant remarks, being assholes, trying to impress one another, or some combination of the above), it seems that there are very few Taijutsu teachers who are on the level of Morris, or simply not complete frauds for that matter.

It looks like I'm just going to be doing capoeira (yes, I know, I know, it's not a real fighting art) and studying meditation and chi kung on my own.)

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 10:03pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But before you dive too deeply into certain healing methods. some wise words from Phrost, our founder:

"This is taken from a forum post in which I responded to a very misguided youth that went by the name "Chrono", and was at the time trying to come to terms with his grip on reality in the face of misguided notions about mystical forces and such.

I am reposting it here because it briefly chronicles my journey to become a Skeptic

Since this is the Internet it pays to be skeptical of anyone's intentions, but I'll take Chrono at his word for now.

To put this all in perspective:

I haven't always been a Skeptic, nor have I always been pro-science. Being a bored, introspective youth of 15 with above-average intelligence and stuck in a small hick town, I myself started studying the paranormal/supernatural. My mom worked two jobs, and I pretty much raised myself, so I didn't have anyone to call bullshit on my newly forming beliefs. And the fact that I seemed to be smarter than everyone I was around only fed my teenage ego to the point where I started assuming I knew better than everyone else, including Science.

For five solid years and tapering off slowly after that, I absorbed everything I could get my hands on. I had a collection of books which included original texts dating back to the 19th century and spanning topics from just about any paranormal/supernatural/occult philosophy you could imagine. For example, I had an original edition of "The Secret Science Behind Miracles" which detailed how following the religious practices of the Hawaiian Kahunas could (and let me see if I remember this correctly) allow you to connect with a universal superconscious and use it to perform miracles. I had copies of medieval manuscripts on ritual magic, and more contemporary books by Aliester Crowley and Israel Regardie. I read Yeats just because he was a member of the Golden Dawn, and I can still recite the words of the "Wiccan Rede" from memory. Hell, I'm a walking encyclopedia of obscure occult bullshit.

But as I got older (and started to get laid more often too), it became more and more obvious that there was a reason all of this stuff and the people who believed in it existed on the fringes of society: they were fucking fruitcake nujobs, every last one of them. Seriously, go to a spiritual/metaphysics/type convention sometime. You will see the bottom rungs of the social ladder coming together like an oversized support group. It's not hard to draw the conclusion that many people are attracted to the occult because it gives them the illusion that they are somehow special and different (better) than the rest of society that they have difficulty interacting with. Many of these people aren't "misunderstood", their problem is that they're very well understood as kooks, freaks, and geeks who are socially inept.

So as I got older, I grew out of more and more of the bullshit. "Chi" was one of the last bits of bullshit that stuck with me. After all, it's not unreasonable for someone who's not a doctor to assume that there could be something to the electrical energy produced by the body. But that changed when I decided to pay $350 to a Qigong "master" to heal my knee which was hurting from doing jumping kicks in WuShu. The "treatment" involved him putting a poultice of 11 secret herbs and spices (which resembled something between tree bark, and dog ****) on my knee, grunt and groan for a while holding his hands along side my leg, and staying off the knee for two weeks.

Two days into the two week rest period, take a wild guess at which of the three modes of treatment I realized was the only one that caused any positive effect?

That's when I became a Skeptic. It would be several more years before I started Bullshido with a few like-minded companions, but this incident sticks with me as one of the driving factors in my decision to keep this place running despite the headache and expense. And to tell you the truth, I don't think I've ever mentioned it here. We're going on three years now, and this movement to improve standards and root out the bullshit in Martial Arts, despite occasional setbacks, keeps moving forward.

My point in all of this, to you Chrono, is this:

Don't feel bad because circumstance and a lack of guidance conspired to have you believing in nonsense; it happens to the best of us. How you handle coming out from under it is what demonstrates your character and maturity. The Internet is a neutral resource; there's just as much good information as there is complete garbage. But with a little digging, a little introspection, and a little self-honesty, anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence should be able to come to grips with the difference between reality and fancy.

And don't forget this either: you might think for a while that the world is less colorful, less romantic without a belief in the supernatural. But the more you seek to understand the natural, and start to appreciate what we really have going here, the more you'll realize that a belief in the supernatural is not necessary for the world, universe, and life itself to be adventurous and exciting. This world, and life on it, is more precious to those who realize it's all that we really have."

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 10:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jobed,

-I can't PM you yet, as you don't have 10 posts, so I hope you'll come back and check this thread at some point.

First off, you're old enough to study whatever the hell you want to study. If you just aren't at a point where contact sports interest you, then I don't blame you.

On that note, I must admit that Taijutsu instruction is not readily available in San Diego. You MIGHT be able to contact Dale Seago or Shinbushi for a recommendation. Shinbushi is on this site, and Dale Seago is on Martial Arts Planet.

However, before you do so, let me ask you one thing...

What, exactly, interests you about Taijutsu?
    -If you let me know, then I can probably point you in the right direction for something similar.

For example, let us pretend that you want to study Taijutsu because...

1. You like koryu, classical martial arts with a heavy emphasis on Japanese etiquette and culture.
    --In response, I would recommend the "Dojo of the Four Winds" in Encinitas. They have very traditional Aikido...which is REMARKABLY similar to Taijutsu in many aspects. They also have a very traditional Kenjutsu/Iaido Instructor just in case you want to swing around some wooden swords. They also have Steve Neklia, who teaches BJJ... http://www.dojoofthefourwinds.com/index.html

2. You want a weapons based art.
    --In response, I would recommend Arnis/Kali with either Roy Harris (www.royharris.com) or the Cepeda Brothers (www.arnis-kenpo.com). Both of these are FMA styles with an emphasis on Knife/Stick techniques...arguably the most common weapons that you'll actually be in a position to use. Roy Harris is also a world reknown BJJ instructor, and the Cepeda Brothers teach EPAK with hard sparring.

3. You like the more mysterious, obscure martial arts.
    -Across the street from my place is a Kung Fu school that rents space to a "Southern Dragon" kung fu training group. Their style is EXTREMELY obscure, as only two or three instructors exist in the US...but they spar HARD every day and spend lots of time training with resistance. I have no doubt that these "Kung Fu-ers" can fight. PM me or let me know and I'll get you in touch with someone.

4. I want a martial art with heavy Internal aspects.
    -Might I recommend www.pacificcollege.edu? They have free Tai Chi/Chi Kung classes all the time, and you can always delve into Acupuncture if you wanted. I would also recommend Aikido (see #1) for some Internal Martial Arts with Japanese culture.

---

With all that said, it would help if you let me know where in San Diego you were located. San Diego is a big place, and knowing your location would help narrow the playing field.

Also, you're style field says "Shito Ryu"...where did you study Shito Ryu?

The reason I ask is that I studied Shito Ryu under Sensei Nanay and Shihan Nanay for four years back in Schererville, Indiana.

If you were interested in picking Shito Ryu back up, then I'd HIGHLY recommend studying with Hanshi Miki. http://www.jko.com/

He's not only a high ranking and highly regarded Shito Ryu instructor, but also a high ranking Kendo/Kenjutsu/Iaido instructor as well. He's located in Mission Valley and has a branch in Carlsbad as well.

Take care, and let me know how else I can help. If you are in or around the La Mesa area, let me know and we can hook up and train sometime.

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 10:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want spirituality I can make a weekly post in which I make **** up and you can read it for free. Deal?

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 10:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long live Koga and Iga.

I think Hanzo Hattori was the last real ninja.
    カンフー

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 11:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks very much Satori. By far the most helpful reply.

I actually studied wit Shihan Miki for 10 years. I also trained in Japan with members of the Japanese National Karate team.

But that aikido studio sounds interesting, as does the free chi kung classes place you reccomended.

As far as what interests me about Taijutsu, it's mostly the internal martial arts aspects -- meditation, healing and chi kung -- but I'm specifically interested in those things as part of a combat art. I already study them separately.

I'm actually located up in North County (not far from Carmel Valley).

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Jobed; 10/18/2006 12:21am at .

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobed
    Katana,

I'm referring to meditation, chi kung, and healing.
    Honestly I studied Taijutsu for years and those topics are never really studied to any serious degree.

I had in my posession at one time a book on pressure points written by the (late?) Dr. Morris. The book was extensive in its coverage. It contained vital parts of the body along with times of day/season on which they were most effective. All in all it was interesting but I didn't think it was:

a) practical
    b) verifiable

I mean if you get into a fight the last thing you're going to care about is what time it is and what month so you can use the right pressure points! Also how exactly do you test death touching people without running out of training partners?

I'm not familar with his other works but I have to question from whom Dr. Morris was taught these meditation/chi kung/healing techniques as I don't recall meeting anyone in the Bujinkan/Taijutsu circles who really was verifiably good at these activities. There were many people who alluded to some of these special abilities but they almost always tended to be the most flakey practitioners. As for Dr. Morris's claims I can't say one way or another if what he taught was worth knowing or not. All I can say is that in a typical Taijutsu school you won't learn these skills.

Lastly, I've been in the martial arts for over 20 years now and I've never seen anyone perform any of these mystic talents in any scientifically valid way in ANY martial art. I again point out that the ones that did claim to have this knowledge (chi/healing skills) were either total flakes or charlatans. Buyer beware.

If you want to learn meditation skills I'd suggest seeking out perhaps religious teaching from either Buddhist or Hindu representatives. Those particular religions place a huge emphasis on meditation skills and they would be far more qualified in sending you down the correct path than any martial arts instructor could. IMHO.
    Last edited by katana; 10/18/2006 1:08am at .
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast