ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does it have Magic Pants?!!

I think he really wants Magic Pants to complete his d34dly h34ling sk1lz.

In the rain.

--J.D.

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 10:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    Does it have Magic Pants?!!

I think he really wants Magic Pants to complete his d34dly h34ling sk1lz.

In the rain.

--J.D.
    I OWN THE REAL MAGIC PANTS!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 10:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Jobed,

I grew up in Vista...where are you at?

Also, I think I found the perfect martial art for you.

Danzan Ryu Jujitsu!

http://www.profhudson.com/dojo.html

The school is located in Solana Beach.

It is a hawaiin Jujitsu/Judo based art that incorporates aspects of traditional japanese systems AND internal healing arts.

The founder, Okazaki Sensei, is reknown for being a Hawaiin badass that defeated a famous boxer in a challenge match. From what I've read, he stressed the healing aspects of martial arts as much as the combative aspects.

Sounds like something you'd be interested in!

Also, make sure you keep tabs on the Throwdown section. The San Diego Throwdown crew is a very laid back, diverse group that meets up a few times each year. The Throwdowns are typically held in Carlsbad at the North County Fight Club school, and hosted by Bud Shi Dhist.

Despite the name, you DON'T need to spar at all if you don't want to. If you're concerned about getting mobbed by a bunch of MMA thugs...don't be. Our group usually consists of at least a handful of Kenpoists, Boxers, and TKD stylists. It isn't a tournament or competition...just a bunch of guys (and girls) getting together to bullshit and train.

Also, your age means that you'll be able to get beers with us afterwards ;)

Either way, good luck in finding a school and let me know if you need anything else. You should be able to PM now, so don't be shy.

Peace.
    Hey, thanks a lot Satori. You're a stud. I'll definitely check that school out, it's right up my alley and pretty close by my house.

I'd definetly like to come to the throw-down thing. When and where does it happen?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help. I'm going to go to the class this Friday.
    Last edited by Jobed; 10/18/2006 10:33pm at .

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelpong
    I OWN THE REAL MAGIC PANTS!!
    But are they "t3h R34L Magic Pants?"

Such details are, of course, critical.

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 7:31am

Style: BBT/Flinging poo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jobed,

I grew up in Vista...where are you at?

Also, I think I found the perfect martial art for you.

Danzan Ryu Jujitsu!

http://www.profhudson.com/dojo.html

The school is located in Solana Beach.

It is a hawaiin Jujitsu/Judo based art that incorporates aspects of traditional japanese systems AND internal healing arts.

The founder, Okazaki Sensei, is reknown for being a Hawaiin badass that defeated a famous boxer in a challenge match. From what I've read, he stressed the healing aspects of martial arts as much as the combative aspects.

Sounds like something you'd be interested in!

Also, make sure you keep tabs on the Throwdown section. The San Diego Throwdown crew is a very laid back, diverse group that meets up a few times each year. The Throwdowns are typically held in Carlsbad at the North County Fight Club school, and hosted by Bud Shi Dhist.

Despite the name, you DON'T need to spar at all if you don't want to. If you're concerned about getting mobbed by a bunch of MMA thugs...don't be. Our group usually consists of at least a handful of Kenpoists, Boxers, and TKD stylists. It isn't a tournament or competition...just a bunch of guys (and girls) getting together to bullshit and train.

Either way, good luck in finding a school and let me know if you need anything else. You should be able to PM now, so don't be shy.

Peace.

THAT was a cool thing dude! Way to help out. That's what this place should see more of. Have a beer on me. :)

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 6:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Jobed,

You need to enable Private Messaging.

I suppose I'll just ask here, then.

How was class? What was Danzan Ryu like? Do you plan on staying there?

Let me know, as I've been curious about that place.

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has to have enough posts to receive/send PMs.

FYI. . . .

--J.D.

Office Drone

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 10:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lies

We're the hardest buncha of mutherfuckers you'll ever run into.

Any deviation will get you sacked.

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 11:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen to Camus (Cam-oo, not Cam-us, apparently). As Emevas has already stated, he's a total roidheaded monster.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 6:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Satori,
    Thanks again for the reccomendations.
    As far as the Danzan-ryu place goes, it definetly did sound like my kind of place, but I wasn't too impressed.

The internal and healing aspects of the arts (meditation, chi kung, and massage) are not part of the danzan-ryu classes themselves. Prof Hudson (who I didn't meet because he is on his honeymoon for the next month), teaches meditation and chi kung in separate classes without any apparent schedule (I guess he just has a class whenever he feels like it) and the special kind of massage they do in the art is taught in a $1000.00 month-long course where you go to LA every weekend for a month.

Now as far as the combat aspect of the art, SOME of it was pretty cool -- some good judo throws and sweeps as well as some cool jiu-jitsu locks and grappling. BUT... with many of the techniques, I got the same impression as I did when I saw a Taijutsu class at JING institute in Miramar: they just have no chance of being succesful in a realistic situation unless the opponent doesn't have a clue how to fight.

So what I think is that I've sort of given up on finding my ideal school right now -- a school with a mix of effective external and internal martial arts. If I want to learn real combat judo/jiu-jitsu I think there are better places than that Danzan-ryu school. Likewise, if I want the internal stuff, I think there are better places.

I scheduled a trial class for my older brother (who wants to learn judo and jiu-jitsu and get into the whole MMA thing) and myself at "Jiu-jitsu of Poway" for tomorrow.
    Capoeira also interests me -- not as an effective combat art, but the movements and athleticism just appeal to me. Yesterday, I watched a class at Capoeira Mandinga in PB. I actually liked it a lot. The instructor seemed pretty good and he challenged the students to do things they had a hard time with. He didn't do basic stuff because some people couldn't keep up which I liked a lot. Plus they have a special sunday class they teach at a gymnastics gym in miramar where they work on the crazy acrobatic stuff -- very cool.

So to give you an idea of where I'm at right now: I graduated from SDSU about a month ago and I'm taking the next year off before I'm going to medical school. Until January, I'm basically free -- no school and no work -- so whatever martial art I take up I'm going to be studying my brains out for the next few months. In January, I'm going to Israel for 6 months to live on a kibbutz (communal farm). So what I'm thinking now is that it might be better to do something like capoeira until then because unlike jiu-jitsu, it's something that I can practice on my own while I'm in Israel. But I'm still going to do the Poway jiu-jitsu class because I might really like it. And I'd also like to go to the Dojo of the 4 winds and observe a class because that also sounds interesting.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Let me know if you have any more questions about the danzan-ryu school and also, please let me know what you think of Poway Jiu-Jitsu AND if you've seen a class down at the Dojo of the 4 winds, let me know what you think of that as well (Systema is also taught there -- might be interesting???)

I'll try and PM this to you and I'll also post it on the forum just in case.

Thanks again.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast