7/24/2003 12:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Farm injury has not crippled Edel's success

Lisa Lynch

July 17, 2003

A master in Songahm Taekwondo, Larry Edel has accomplished a great feat. Even more impressive is the fact that Edel received his mastership after suffering a farm injury in 1990 that left him paralyzed from the chest down.

Edel, with a sixth degree black belt, is the only Songahm master in the world with a physical disability. There are less than 100 Songahm Taekwondo masters throughout the world. Taekwondo emphasizes movements of the hands and feet and focuses on personal development of the body and mind. Edel explained the word Taekwondo means 'way of the hand and foot.' Songahm Taekwondo started in 1969 and has grown to be the world's largest Taekwondo organization. Edel lives in Colo with his wife Amy and their two sons, Logan, 16, and Colby, 13. Edel is originally from the Zearing area, later moving to Colo in 1993.

He currently works for Wellmark Blue Cross-Blue Shield in Des Moines, in addition to instructing Songahm Taekwondo at his martial arts school, Nevada ATA Black Belt Academy, where he has taught as a certified instructor since 1985. "We have students starting as young as 5 years of age to students currently in their 40s, who are active in the school. The people in our classes are here for the self-defense, strength and flexibility Songahm Taekwondo offers." Edel became involved with Songahm Taekwondo in 1980 at a school in Iowa Falls after a friend invited him to join the class. The instructor for the class was Michael Plagman, and in 1983 Edel began teaching the martial arts class with him. "Teaching is one of the reasons I enjoy Taekwondo as much as I do. I just enjoy passing what I've learned on to others."

When Edel first established his Taekwondo school in Nevada, he shared a space with an aerobics class. "I worked out an agreement with the aerobics class there where we could use the area one night a week." He is pleased that since that time, his school has grown to have its own facility and now holds classes three times a week, each Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Since his spinal cord injury, Edel has learned to incorporate new teaching methods into his classes. "Before my accident I taught more by demonstrating the moves and techniques. Now that I'm in a wheel chair I've brought in a lot of new ways to teach - I've had to alter my teaching technique from demonstrating to explaining," said Edel. "It's easy to get up in front of the class and demonstrate how to do the moves and just say 'now you do it.' I've become a much better instructor." In his school, hanging on a wall alongside a framed summer 1991 Taekwondo World magazine edition that features Edel on the cover, is a photo of Edel breaking 10 boards simultaneously with both hands. "That's when I was able-bodied," Edel pointed out. "Those 10 boards would have been the equivalent of breaking a man's two legs at the same time." Edel credits his family, as well as his Taekwondo family as a big support and inspiration for him to staying involved in Songahm Taekwondo after his accident. "The Grand Master of Songahm, Haeng Ung Lee, called me more than once during my six-month stay in the hospital telling me to never give up.

That was really a unique thing - receiving a personal phone call from the Grand Master." Lee, who introduced the Songahm teaching and training method of Taekwondo, passed away in 2000 and is now known as the Eternal Grand Master, Edel explained. The current Grand Master of Songahm is Lee's brother, Grand Master Soon Ho Lee. Edel added another motivation for him was the mental aspect of Songahm Taekwondo, which stresses setting goals and the process of working toward them. After his return to teaching, Edel has taught hundreds of black belts, he has had several students go on to become top 10 competitors and has had two students, Tim Miltenberger and Jo Ann Hinson, continue on to become world champions. "Both became world champions after my accident occurred. It was one of their goals to become a top 10 competitor and to become a world champion. Those were their goals, and I helped them achieve it." Miltenberger now has his own Taekwondo school in Marshalltown, and Hinson is an instructor at Edel's Taekwondo school in Nevada. Last October Edel received a letter of acceptance to participate in master training to become a master of Taekwondo. He had his first master training in January and additional training session in March of this year. Edel was dubbed a master of Songahm Taekwondo during the opening ceremonies for the World Championship in Little Rock, Ark., this June.

The World Championship is an annual week long Taekwondo training and exposition. Becoming a master of Taekwondo requires a sixth degree black belt and is additionally based on the number of students instructors have at their school, including the number of students at schools started by their students as well. There are nine grades or belts, black being the final belt, that must be passed before receiving a degree in black belt. Moving from level to level requires a certain amount of time spent at that stage along with additional training and a promotional test that must be passed.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=9859884&BRD=2033&PAG=461&a mp;dept_id=238871&rfi=6
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Reading FD cause cancer

small hick city full with college students in Cali

Posted On:
    7/24/2003 2:06am

Style: Muay Thai and boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do he got hurt? Did he tried to hang a hog on rope to practice TKD kick but the hog wiggle its way out of the rope and fell onto Edel's head?

It is a rat eat rat world.

"A magical place where I have a freakish large penis and I am also the king of the mushroom people." - by Omen Stone
    I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Titan

Posted On:
    7/24/2003 4:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ ?

----------------------------------------------------------
    Now imagine your pain is a white ball of healing light, that's right, your pain, the pain itself is a white ball of healing light....... I don't think so!
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    7/24/2003 7:03am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well....sucks to be him.

"You can't cast aspersions on someone because they're wearing a cape. Superman wore a cape, and I'll be damned if I'll let you say something bad about him." - Jerry Seinfeld
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Titan

Posted On:
    7/24/2003 7:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who, FD ?

----------------------------------------------------------
    Now imagine your pain is a white ball of healing light, that's right, your pain, the pain itself is a white ball of healing light....... I don't think so!
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2003 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Songahm TKD is the biggest TKD organization in the world? Yeah, right. Its got nothing on the monstrously huge McDojo farm that is the World Tae Kwon Do Federation that is represented in the Olympics. These people are goofs on that claim alone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2003 7:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edel explained the word Taekwondo means 'way of the hand and foot.'

Don't remember anyone using hands in the Olympics, seem to remember something resembling 'River Dance.' Does that mean they were practising TaeKw-? Half the word = half the skills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2003 8:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I can believe it. At least in the WTF, you have to be a fourth degree to start a school. I was looking for a place to train after moving to FL from Korea. I had never heard of Songahm TKD (American Tae Kwon Do Association). I walked into an ATA school because the sign said TKD. I had all of my paperwork to prove my rank (at the time, second poom) and some work out clothes. The instructor sitting behind the desk looked at my certificates and told me he was excited to have me start. And without even asking me to show him some of my technique, he tells me I would enter class as a white belt because such was the policy of the ATA. Then he stood up and I saw his belt. The guy was a first degree black belt. He OWNED the school and I outranked him. Needless to say I walked out. So if you can churn out first degree certified instructors who in turn churn out more and more, your organization will spread like wild fire. I don't believe in knocking any martial art or derivations as useless. I believe that every system has shortcomings and advantages. I will also say that Songahm students that I have known generally tend to be excellent technicians. But it wouldn't suprise me if Songahm was the largest. Just my opinion of the situation, I might be wrong.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2003 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that Leung Ting's WT (TM) system actually has the most followers world wide. I could be mistaken...

Ex-ATA and Proud of it.

Posted On:
    7/25/2003 2:25pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Songahm TKD is the biggest TKD organization in the world? Yeah, right. Its got nothing on the monstrously huge McDojo farm that is the World Tae Kwon Do Federation that is represented in the Olympics. These people are goofs on that claim alone.
    WTF is an organization which is a sanctioning body I believe. There could be some variance in the techniques that are taught in schools that are members of this organization.

Songahm Taekwondo is an organization, and a style, all the schools in this organization teach the same forms and techniques. It is encompassed by American Taekwondo Association in America, Songahm Taekwondo Federation in South America, and the World Traditional Taekwondo Union through out the rest of the world. It is growing rapidly in popularity in Korea also.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

The tax laws are written by men with considerable net worth, and with little understanding of what wage-earners must do to make ends meet.

Edited by - Bolverk on July 25 2003 14:35:02
    Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
    Willing is not enough, we must do.

Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear, or a Fool from any direction!

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Payne
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast