Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 10:17am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stocky Guys vs. Lanky Guys

It's no secret that lanky guys often have a significant natural advantage BJJ/grappling.

I'm a stocky guy (~5'8"/195#) but reasonably lean thanks to BJJ. I have the basic endomorph/endomesomorph build: short neck, broad shoulders, relatively short arms and legs. I'm reasonably strong and somewhat flexible.

They sometimes have a problem with others' weight, but those long arms and legs give them options that other people don't have. For example, they tend to be able to hit triangles from the guard a lot easier than other people, and the long limbs give them a lot a leverage when the bridge. They also tend to be very flexible and fast.

I'm curious as to the strategy stocky guys use against lanky guys. The obvious solution is to be as technical as possible, and I'm working on that. My usual strategy is to try to pass kneeling, working on controlling their hips and pinning one leg to the ground (genius, I know!), or stack the crap out of them. Lately I've been stacking and rolling them over their heads a lot, going for an ankle lock. I find that non-stacking standing passes are not very useful.

What are some strategies you stocky guys use against lanky guys (in any position)? I'd also be interested in hearing from lanky guys regarding what they do versus stocky guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 1:07pm

Style: Taekwondo,Muay Thai, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thursday at judo we were working on the spider guard and one of the transitions we did was to a triangle choke. I'm short to and it still worked for me but once I went for the triangle choke I had a problem getting my legs in position so the instructor told me to create an angle by scooting sideways. Thats the most help i can give you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 1:22pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

There are pros and cons to all body types in bjj just like any other range. You are experiencing a "grass is greener" effect.

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 1:55pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave
    Greetings.

There are pros and cons to all body types in bjj just like any other range. You are experiencing a "grass is greener" effect.
    I'm honestly amazed that this was said within the first 5 posts.

Good show.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 4:16pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love being me (stocky WITH long legs)
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 5:40pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that you're short with stubby limbs makes you a difficult person to submit- less of an arm or less of a leg to grab when attempting that joint lock. That is your advantage, the lanky guy who's flexible has a pain in the ass guard as his advantage. All guard passes will work against virtually everyone, the only catch is against someone who's got good hip positioning/ flexibility, you have to make sure you address the details in the pass and make the fewest mistakes possible. Giving too much space to a flexible guy is going to make passing very difficult for you.

Other than that, tall lanky guys just kick so much ass that theres not much you can do to stop them

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 7:46pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tall lanky guys also have that awesome higher center of gravity. Takedowns FTW!
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2006 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stocky vs. Lanky?

Mario vs. Luigi!

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 4:42pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stocky guys tend to, in my experience, be more inclined towards stronger passing game, and tall lanky guys tend to be better at bottom position in guard. Shorter also limbs help a lot in most non-bridging escapes, and when you actually do hit that triangle, it's going to be tight.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 5:39pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a tall, skinny, and lanky mofo, let me say that the people who give me the MOST trouble are the stocky fireplug type. Shorter arms are harder to lock up.

EDIT: What Gumby said. I am honestly more comfortable in guard than on top. Don't give us any feet or legs to hook, because they will get hooked. Also, make sure to control our hips and legs when you hold top position. I love taking the back from under N/S.
    Last edited by IzzyDaHedgehog; 10/22/2006 5:43pm at .
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast