222357 Bullies, 4860 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 20
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    10/17/2006 4:29pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was only talking of Tai otoshi from one instance - that of being clinched like Franklin was.

    Where he couldn't get out and Silva's reach and size difference made an Uchi matta or hari ogoshi unattainable from that particular position.

    Also in CSW you learn to use the grip right above the wrist where the mma glove ends for leverage which is why I think you could substitute it for a gi hold for certain throws
  2. thetza is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6

    Posted On:
    10/18/2006 3:18am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) I wouldn't call tai-otoshi a hand throw.... in fact I wouldn't call anything a hand throw. Like all throws its an all-body throw.
    2) Tai-otoshi does however require spacing between you and the opponent. Thus it would not work from a clinch. Uchimata's and hip throws are a different story though.
  3. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    10/18/2006 6:26am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From a Greco style clinch where the other person is trying to get an underhook to throw then no there's not enough space for tai otoshi, however Silva and Franklin fight Silva had kept a lot of space and distance from Franklin to throw kness which looked to provide the distance.
  4. babo78 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    987

    Posted On:
    10/18/2006 6:44am


     Style: Yudo, Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    From a Greco style clinch where the other person is trying to get an underhook to throw then no there's not enough space for tai otoshi, however Silva and Franklin fight Silva had kept a lot of space and distance from Franklin to throw kness which looked to provide the distance.
    If you and your opponent is about same skill in clinch, I think you pull off what you described earlier.

    But in case of Silva and Franklin...unless Franklin's takedown game was good as Silva's MT clinch game I don't think he could've performed a takedown. I thought he should've tried to pull guard...then again. With Silva's experience, I don't think pulling guard would've worked either. I think Franklin was just f--ked.

    If it's similar skill, worst come to worst. I think there was enough space to pull guard. Or you can start walking backward and if they start pushing, you can try tomoe nage and if fail (most of time it does in no-gi), pull guard hahaha. Anything to get out of MT clinch like that right?
  5. babo78 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    987

    Posted On:
    10/18/2006 6:51am


     Style: Yudo, Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko687
    actually this is the traditional way to do it with the normal grip, however the right hand could be underhook and rith grabbing the left wrist and it would still work
    It would work but it's all about success rate and feasbility right? Tai otoshi is low % takedown (in no-gi MMA format) generally. Especially after some sweats been dripping, forget it...grip on wrist is super hard and even with one underhook, still not that reliable.

    And you def. don't work to fumble technique like this with wrist grip while your back is turning. Because if you do it poorly, it's easy for your opponent to slip out of that wrist grip and put it around your neck and pull RNC. If it's really poorly done, they can even get the hooks in. Wrist grip is not that good for takedown, arm grip is. But if you end up with an underhook and an armgrip...there's higher % takedown you can do.
  6. Bizzaro Root is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    1,044

    Posted On:
    10/18/2006 12:09pm


     Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thetza
    1) I wouldn't call tai-otoshi a hand throw.... in fact I wouldn't call anything a hand throw. Like all throws its an all-body throw.
    2) Tai-otoshi does however require spacing between you and the opponent. Thus it would not work from a clinch. Uchimata's and hip throws are a different story though.

    straight from the kudokan since you dont believe me or werent taught the difference between throws in judo.



    "From this position very little strength or energy is required for tori to complete the throw. Taiotoshi is classified by the Kodokan as a hand throw and it is easy to see how the hands pull uke off balance. Additional power is brought to the kuzushi during the pivoting action (taisabaki) as tori gets into position for the throw."

    source-- "The Study of Kuzushi" is copyright 2000 by Neil Ohlenkamp, JudoInfo.com, California, USA. All rights reserved. Published August 1, 2000. Reproduced with permission.


    I'm not saying its a useless throw just very low percentage even with a gi on. As babo said its a dangerrous throw if you lose your grip its rnc or atleast a bad scrample for you. Besides I'm a little biased towards haraiogshi and uchimata
    Last edited by Bizzaro Root; 10/18/2006 12:13pm at .
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

    Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

    Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

    Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

    Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."


    Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
  7. Bizzaro Root is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    1,044

    Posted On:
    10/18/2006 12:19pm


     Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Tachiwaza) of Hand Tech-niques (Tewaza)--Ukiotoshi--Seoinage--Taiotoshi--
    Seoiotoshi--Kataguruma--Obiotoshi--Sotomakikomi--
    Uchimakikomi 57

    (Tachiwaza) of Loin or Waist Techniques (Koshiwaza) -- Ukigoshi-- Haraigoshl--
    Tsurikomigoshi-- Hane goshi-- Ogoshi-- Ushiro goshi-- 68

    (Tachiwaza) of Foot and Leg Techniques (Ashiwaza)--Hizaguruma--Uchimata
    --Osotogari--Ouchigari--Ashiguruma--Osoto-otoshi--
    Osotoguruma-- Yama-arashi--Ashiharai--Okuri-Ashi-
    Harai-- Deashi-Harai--Tsurikomi-Ashi--Sasae-Tsuri-
    komi-Ashi--Kosotogari--Kouchigari--Harai--Tsurikomi-
    Ashi 80

    Throws effected from a lying Position
    (Sutemiwaza)--
    Masutemiwaza : Tomoenage--Uranage
    --Sumigaeshi--Yokosutemiwaza: Ukiwaza--Yokogake
    --Yokoguruma--Yoko-otoshi--Yokowakare--Tani-
    otoshi


    just so youll know next time.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

    Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

    Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

    Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

    Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."


    Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
  8. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    10/18/2006 1:41pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzaro Root
    straight from the kudokan since you dont believe me or werent taught the difference between throws in judo.



    "From this position very little strength or energy is required for tori to complete the throw. Taiotoshi is classified by the Kodokan as a hand throw and it is easy to see how the hands pull uke off balance. Additional power is brought to the kuzushi during the pivoting action (taisabaki) as tori gets into position for the throw."

    source-- "The Study of Kuzushi" is copyright 2000 by Neil Ohlenkamp, JudoInfo.com, California, USA. All rights reserved. Published August 1, 2000. Reproduced with permission.


    I'm not saying its a useless throw just very low percentage even with a gi on. As babo said its a dangerrous throw if you lose your grip its rnc or atleast a bad scrample for you. Besides I'm a little biased towards haraiogshi and uchimata
    On a side note from the gi I always do this throw from the underhook position rather than grab the guy's lapel as I can always drop down to my knees and try to turn it into a shoulder / sacrifice throw.

    As far as using the wrist above the glove for the grip position with sweaty mma guys I believe thats what Karo does.

    Not saying I coould do it just that
  9. Bizzaro Root is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    1,044

    Posted On:
    10/18/2006 2:08pm


     Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    karo never has done the taio that ive seen, his throws that he regularly pulls off are saionage(hand throw), uchimata, haraiogoshi that last 2 on a regular basis just watch his last fight with sanchez.

    EDIT:: ok i rewatched some karo and he does use the wrist grab at the glove but his only hand throws are uchimakikomi(spelling) and drop saiwai but I stand firm on the no taiotoshi. On his Hip and reap throws he uses the underhook and just gets such good kazushi and taisabaki that he almost always hit them and doesnt even need to grab the arm at the wrist to get that finally twisting motion to finish a throw.
    Last edited by Bizzaro Root; 10/18/2006 3:02pm at .
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

    Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

    Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

    Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

    Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."


    Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
  10. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    10/18/2006 3:55pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzaro Root
    karo never has done the taio that ive seen, his throws that he regularly pulls off are saionage(hand throw), uchimata, haraiogoshi that last 2 on a regular basis just watch his last fight with sanchez.

    EDIT:: ok i rewatched some karo and he does use the wrist grab at the glove but his only hand throws are uchimakikomi(spelling) and drop saiwai but I stand firm on the no taiotoshi. On his Hip and reap throws he uses the underhook and just gets such good kazushi and taisabaki that he almost always hit them and doesnt even need to grab the arm at the wrist to get that finally twisting motion to finish a throw.

    No I don't think Karo or anyone has done it, And I wouldn't recommend it for out of the blue. I was thinking that in that particular case (Franklin vs Silve) from a tight MT clinch in which you have space because the striker is creating room to deliver knees, that the motion of getting the under hook in would be good for breaking the clinch and breaking their Kazushi. However the more I think about it, if you get a tight Karo type under hook in and broke your opponents balance you might as well drop to the ground and go for the total shoulder throw.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.