I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 11:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo throws for no-gi / mma from the clinch

While watching Franklin get owned by Silva's clinch last night I was thinking that a good defense for that situation might have been a slightly modified Taiotoshi where if the guys has clinched you hard you grab thier right wrist (just choosing sides arbitrarily) with your left hand just above the glove and bring your right arm over and across the attackers left arm as an elbow strike that goes through and under their left arm setting up the taiotoshi.

I would think the benefits are that not only would you be breaking their clinch and maybe getting a strike in (although even if you miss your still breaking the clinch) but that when you turn to throw you have your elbow on the inside to absorb and knees coming up.

Anyways just a though, next take down class I am going to try this from the clinch.

Has anyone else tried this or other Judo style throws from a Greco or MT clinch?

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 12:22am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't tell you for sure, since my backup hard drive with all my bjj instructionals died last week, but I'm fairly certain that Karo's Judo for MMA has . . . well let's just say a lot of them, and I believe it answers your question.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 8:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, going to see if I can order it somewhere. I only brought it up here because I thought some people on the board may have had direct experience with transitioning Judo to no-gi /mma and was curious as to their techniques and thought DHS was the place to discuss serious grappling techniques.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 8:42am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Incidentaly at my BJJ class there are several BB judokas, and there is always a review of throws. However, they are mostly leg trips and reaps (kosoto/kouchi/ouchi gari) from the clinch or a neck grab. Though these have been gi classes, the throws have been done mostly from under/over hooks with little to no gi grabbing.

I haven't been to the no-gi classes, but I'll ask and see what they are doing on that area.

BTW, get Karo's videos if you can, at least the DVDs on uchi mata and ouchi or osoto gari. They are c000000l!!!!.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 11:12am

Style: Judo, Sambo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just watched the fight again, and I don't think that Rich would have been able to pull off a judo throw from the position he was in. Silva was manhandling him like a little girl and was controlling his head waaay too easily. If Rich got his head lose, ripped one of his arms free, and took a high collar/neck grip, maybe. He has showed that he has a mediocre suplex when he gets the underhooks, but again I just don't see it happening in the position he was in against Silva.

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 9:34am

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    taio toshi is a hand throw, and is very gi relient. And since you cant get a good strong grip without the gi I think it would be a terrible throw to use in mma, your turning your back for an elbow grip and a lapel grip with your forarm pushed against the chest. I really dont understand the change is gripping your suggestting for this throw and grabbing the wrist for this threw and maybe an under hook taio toshi wouldnt be the throw I'd use.

For mma judo just watch karo or Ed herman both have good hari ogoshi and is a good throw from the clich that doesnt need the gi.
    Last edited by Bizzaro Root; 10/17/2006 9:38am at .
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 11:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My thoughts are that for an undehook Tai otoshi from a clinch that you could bring the arm doing the under hooking across and over the clinching arms as a strike and distractor.

As far as turning your back, if you get the under hook in I would thinkk you tie the guy up enough that he can't generate and power to a strike and if they're trying to strike instead of stopping the throw then you have a better chance of throwing them.

Even if you don't pull of the throw the underhooking and twisting of the body would break the MT clinch and get you out of that spot, which would have been better for Franklin than having his nose pushed to the side.

Also from the MT clinch the clincher is moving back to create space for the knee strikes which I think would leave room to get under and pull them forward.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 12:45pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    My thoughts are that for an undehook Tai otoshi from a clinch that you could bring the arm doing the under hooking across and over the clinching arms as a strike and distractor.

As far as turning your back, if you get the under hook in I would thinkk you tie the guy up enough that he can't generate and power to a strike and if they're trying to strike instead of stopping the throw then you have a better chance of throwing them.

Even if you don't pull of the throw the underhooking and twisting of the body would break the MT clinch and get you out of that spot, which would have been better for Franklin than having his nose pushed to the side.

Also from the MT clinch the clincher is moving back to create space for the knee strikes which I think would leave room to get under and pull them forward.
    Are you talking about while being MT clinched and you trying breakout & turn that into takedown clinch and then perform a takedown? If so, that's usually tough. Most of time, people get tired and end up 'hugging' but if fresh...diff story.

MT clinch and takedown clinch is different so soon as you and your opponent get close enough for clinch. You will be fighting for position.

For example, if you want to MT clinch and throw knees. You are going to try to get that classic MT position of hands behind head, forearm to collar bone/shoulder, to control the head and create bit of hunch room for generate power for knees. While if your opponent is going for takedown clinch, he or she would come in alot closer and try to 'hug' you and pummel for an underhook or two.

However, once you already end up in MT clinch, it's quite difficult to change it up to takedown clinch especially if person who got you in MT clinch is good with it and intend to keep throwing knees while moving you around side to side, etc.

Same for opposite story. If you already have an underhook or two in takedown clinch, it's hard to create enough space and head control to throw some serious knees.

But as for tai otoshi in no-gi. I'd recommend other throws instead of tai otoshi from that position (one arm is underhooked, other arm/wrist is gripped) like uchi-mata makikomi or even simple hip throw. The positioning of upper body is same for those techniques but they are higher % of sucess takedown techniques than tai otoshi in no-gi. Especially once people start sweating and get slippery/greasy.

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzaro Root
    taio toshi is a hand throw, and is very gi relient. And since you cant get a good strong grip without the gi I think it would be a terrible throw to use in mma, your turning your back for an elbow grip and a lapel grip with your forarm pushed against the chest. I really dont understand the change is gripping your suggestting for this throw and grabbing the wrist for this threw and maybe an under hook taio toshi wouldnt be the throw I'd use.

actually this is the traditional way to do it with the normal grip, however the right hand could be underhook and rith grabbing the left wrist and it would still work

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 3:56pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko687
    actually this is the traditional way to do it with the normal grip, however the right hand could be underhook and rith grabbing the left wrist and it would still work

I know thats the traditional grips but as Isaid before the taio toshi is a hand throw and theres no reaping or hip involved, its totally reliant on your grip and in my opinion would be a terrible throw to try in a mma fight were your opponent is slippery. I totally agree with babo78 there are far more powerfull throws that arent as grip reliant as taio toshi is, specifically hari and uchi are way better and far more powerful the taio is.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast