Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Possible Bullshido in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?

I watched Henry again for the first time in several years. If you haven't seen it, I strongly reccomend you do: it's a great Halloween movie, underrated and underappreciated, with a strong cult following (the MPAA rated it X for "disturbing moral content"; if that's not a badge of honor, I don't know what is). But watching it now, knowing what I do, I can't help but feel as though my training has brought to light issues I otherwise wouldn't have with the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Delucia
    For example, the first person we actually see Henry kill is a prostitute he's straddling from the back seat of a car. Our view is dark and hindered by the car, so the position could really be anything, but since he's ostensibly banging the woman, we can assume he's between her legs i.e. guard. Henry extends his arms like Frankenstein, cups her face, and twists as a CRACK noise emanates from the soundtrack. Now hold on a minute Mr. Serial Killer! There's a word for people that try submissions from within the guard, and while I don't want to appear too judgemental, you may rest assured it's not very flattering. But lo! It gets worse! In the front seat his friend Otis is also banging a hooker. When the woman puts her head up to see what's going on, Henry reaches across the seat and snaps her neck at arm's length!

I wish I could say that was the worst on it. Later on in the film, Henry and Otis videotape themselves breaking into a house and butchering an entire family. The father is bound and beaten, and Otis secures the mother with a loose seatbelt clinch (this is okay because women are no good at grappling). But what of the son? Henry tackles the kid, and after five seconds of something I am reluctant to call "wrestling" :ingun: , holds him down in a sloppy side control (no arm control, hips too far away, just giving up his back, really) and squeezes until the Foley artist makes a POP noise. Otis summarily breaks the mother's neck with a one-armed twist from behind, yadda yadda yadda. At this point nothing can top the abysmal failure of Henry's purported "kesa gatame".
    Henry is an excellent film boasting some fine performances from an unknown cast. Michael Rooker went on to much bigger and better things (The Sixth Day, Slither), but the other stars have since shunned the spotlight. No matter. Although the movie is over a decade old, possibly two, it's not too late to begin a letter-writing campaign to director John McNaughton. We need to educate him on the principles of Aliveness and show him the error of his ways before he further perpetuates BS in his future movies, assuming he's made anything since.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 4:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do NOT mock t3h d34dly Sl1ght N3ck Tw1st of . . . DOOM!!! [!--Ed.]

I do not know what Hollywood fool came up with it, but it seems to be a staple of every b-grade film fight.

Otherwise, Henry is a fantastic film portrayal of a sexual predator.

--J.D.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 5:22pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously Rorion didn't consult on this movie....

"And now you see that Renry has the prostitute in his guard....."

TKD

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 7:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    Do NOT mock t3h d34dly Sl1ght N3ck Tw1st of . . . DOOM!!! [!--Ed.]

I do not know what Hollywood fool came up with it, but it seems to be a staple of every b-grade film fight.

--J.D.
    It's bad enough when James Bond does it, but at least with him it's within the character, since he's a smug womanizing alcoholic who would logically kill people in smug improbable ways. In a "serious" movie like A History of Violence it's beyond inexcusable. Watching Viggo mortensen do a hands-only neck break while running and hopping caused me to be ejected from the theatre when I shouted POSITION BEFORE SUBMISSION and pulled crab guard on the screen
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 7:23pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The actress who had her neck snapped in the film was sent to the hospital as a precautionary measure to have X-rays taken of her neck. Over time, the story has grown that she was sent to the hospital because she went into shock."

From the IMDB's Trivia for Henry.

Movie Crappling FTW (Sort of?)

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 8:06pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read most of the decent books on FBI profiling of serial offenders. While strangulation is a frequently used method by such killers, there were no cases I saw describing someone being killed by having their neck snapped as Henry did.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 8:14pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's. A. Film.

It's. A. Fictional. Portrayal. Of. Events.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 9:00pm

Style: Grappling/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe we should start a new thread for this, but why not turn the topic around and ask the following: "What films had the most realistic fight scenes?"

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 9:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    I've read most of the decent books on FBI profiling of serial offenders. While strangulation is a frequently used method by such killers, there were no cases I saw describing someone being killed by having their neck snapped as Henry did.
    Not to defend a stupid film idea, but Henry kills these women to prevent them escaping/screaming. The film was more graphic in portraying the "results" of his violence on his victims--seeing a crime scene.

--J.D.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 10:56pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    Maybe we should start a new thread for this, but why not turn the topic around and ask the following: "What films had the most realistic fight scenes?"
    We have one already, on Sociocide.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast