228851 Bullies, 4760 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 2:11pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AJJ is basically just no-gi MMA grappling: more of a blend of Judo, Wrestling, etc. We do have a BJJ Brown belt that trains at the school as well, but it's not BJJ specific.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: American JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you had AJJ vs BJJ in area grappling tournaments I think AJJ came out on top but BJJ did win some matches and belts as far as grappling goes. When I was holding Grappling tournaments for CPW I think Ethan Day and Scott ??? can't remember the last name but was purple belt in BJJ and trained with AJJ for a bit after Montanha left KC. Both of them won their respective 4 man tourney's. Herb Dean won his tournament then beat Scott for the Superfight title (not really AJJ but listed as 2nd or 3rd degree black belt due to previous experience i am sure). AJJ and BJJ had a lot of draws on the shows that went to the time limit. HOWEVER, you can argue that BJJ is better with the gi, AJJ is better without the gi. That is how each trains. Guys that went against BJJ opponents on my shows...Travis Phippen, Rob Lilly, Herb Dean, Curtis Stout and I know there are a few more but those are the guys that stand out to me.

You also have to look at the 2000 Pankration games, nationals were here in KC, plenty of BJJ guys there competing plus the Pan Am's in California and World's. AJJ had 4 or 5 Pan Am gold's, 1 silver or bronze. 1 World title in Pankration as well. I think AJJ teaches guard escapes fairly well. Let's face it, you can learn everything out there and it can go to hell in a handbasket when you are actually trying to do it though.

I think if you are wanting to learn no gi for MMA, AJJ would be the grappling art I would go with.

"Jiujitsu ate a morte!"

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 11:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BigDoggMMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the most current info that I know on the MFS/AJJ thing. As of right now there is an MFS school in KC. Something happened with the MFS instructor and he was not there to teach class. So they are now doing just AJJ there. The Jujitsu that you will learn from AJJ will encompass al types of grappling that we found work best in the cage or street. If it doesn't work we wont teach it to a class, but if iis something that you feel you can pull off and want to learn it, we are more than happy to help you out. Come and try it out if in KC. Or feel free to contact me with any other questions.

Now for the GoodRev. I am sorry that you feel that you can not the type of work-out that you need at AJJ, but then again I believe that it has been a while since you trained with us. You know I mean no direpest to you in any way, we have known each other for a while. But I will say that things are nothing like they used to be when you came to class. Yes it is true that there are a lot of fighters at AJJ now, but by having more opportunities for them to come in and train, we keep the class sizes down. We no longer just offer 2 nights a week. We now have 4 nights a week, Sat, Sun, Mornings, all these things done to keep the personlized training feeling. Rev I am glad that you are happy where you are at, i wish you the best in your training, but if you get a chance come by and BS. I teach thurs at 8:30.... And Jobe is teaching the Blue Springs class.

"jiujitsu ate a morte!"

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (just about all the AJJ schools compete against each other, not a good thing)
    how is that not a good thing?

"Jiujitsu ate a morte!"

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 11:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not trying to speak for the Good Rev., But I think I know what he means. There are quite a few schools in the area that boast of being MMA schools, but most of them will not compete. There are a lot of shows that we compete on that pits one AJJ fightr against another AJJ fighter. Sometimes it is difficult to go all out when you are fighing a fellow student/teamate.....

"jiujitsu ate a morte!"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 8:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would be a pretty good thought on that. I was always one of those that didn't care so I would just do it and didn't matter who it was. Those types of things can cause issues even if there is no bad blood at all. I'm all up for competition but just not up for competition against guys that I've trained with or currently train with. Sooner or later fighting your own guys CAN, not that it will, but it CAN cause bad blood, to me anymore it just isn't worth the STRESS. Now, there is a problem that comes to mind, what if one of my teammates at the same weight has the belt and we are fighting for the same organization?? Do you or don't you take that fight if offered? My vote would be no, been there, done that, caught nothing but living hell about it from teammates and it isn't worth the stress. I'll never speak ill of AJJ, good guys, good teammates over the years. The days of competing against them are done for that reason as I would not compete against another MFS fighter either. If this is Rob (KoldKoK) thanks for the roll time the other night, definitely smaller class and more personalized, more like what I started out with in AJJ.

"Jiujitsu ate a morte!"

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can agree with that Good Rev.... And no this is not Rob,this is Troye.... But the classes have gotten better. It works out better to have a lot of smallerclasses than two or three large ones.

"jiujitsu ate a morte!"

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 11:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, if more AJJ people start posting here it's going to be pretty hard for me to cover up how much I suck.

At least for those people who haven't seen footage from Throwdowns and such.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, man from time to time we all suck. Hey Troye, good to see you again. Had a good light roll with Rob and the guys last week, didn't know if KoldKok was him or not. How's it going for you? I remember the days of rolling out mats at Moffetts or going to Mac's in SKC etc...those are the class types that I remember, big change when you step into a class where the guys can barely move around it is so crowded, haha.

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 6:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm telling you, this is exactly what happened with MMA as a participant sport:

1. Fight Club, the movie, planted the seed.

2. "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show added the water and sunlight.

Ever since TUF1, Crawford's has been booming. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy either.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast