Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 1:30am

Style: no-gi judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

American Jujitsu?

Ok theres this MMA school near where i live that i'm thinkin about checking out and it offers cornett AJJ (i kind of discussed this with phrost, but didnt go into any detail.) Could any of you kansas city area AJJers tell me a little bit about ajj, will i fit in, etc (i have 5 years of tkd experience i have denounced as useless in most situations and 4 months of jj experience)

heres the school: http://www.truefightfan.com/HOP.htm

john cornett is a pretty decorated fighter compared to others in the area i know of, so it must be fairly good.

all the rest of you......:nobodycar i guess

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: American JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly that depends on where you are located. AJJ is one of the best JJ schools around and does have good fighters. MFS has opened in Blue Springs, AJJ is teaching the JJ aspect of that at this point. Plenty of schools in the area, where are you located in the KC area? check out AJJ's website at www.combat-ajj.com for more information other than TrueFightFan. Hope that helps a little, didn't really answer anything, I'm pretty biased on the subject.

Break it down like this, from personal experience:

Technique-good

Local Fights-They can do that for you just make sure you fight people OUTSIDE of the AJJ affiliation (just about all the AJJ schools compete against each other, not a good thing)

Amateur/Pro-Odds are you will be amateur for lord knows how long, which to a point helps you but helps promoters more than it does you. If you go pro, fight outside of the KC area and get a manager outside of the AJJ system but still work with AJJ for your training.

Know that you will need to really step up your cardio and training outside of AJJ. Sprints, weights, work more standup, work more ground etc...you cannot make it on "class time alone" The school is packed with fighters so you have plenty of sparring partners but need to ask yourself what level are they at? Pro, amateur ?

Decorated fighters can be "made" depending on who they fight, who the promoter is and what fights the promoter lines up for the fighter. I have nothing but respect for Cornett and think he is a good guy, never seen him fight, never trained with him, I was gone from the organization (headquarters) before he really started training so I CANNOT COMMENT on Cornett's fighting abilities, I am strictly commenting "in general".

Does that help at all?

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 10:10am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John Cornett hits like a truck. If you're in the Kansas City metro area and you're not training at an AJJ school, you're not training.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 10:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't exactly go that far with the training comment. I'm actually training harder dealing with MFS than I ever was at AJJ. Even though AJJ is now teaching some with MFS I still deal solely with MFS affiliates, but that's my personal choice.

I think that says the same for other people as well. I honestly think it depends on your trainer. If your trainer is a motivator and really believes in driving you on top of the personal drive you have, you will train harder. If the trainer just says here, try this move, roll and see if you can catch it, oh and you're on your own for training and doesn't really set anything in motion for your outside of class times, then yeah, you won't train worth a crap.

I know on a personal level that I have pushed myself for months and months in the gym, training mma and dieting and I can only push myself physically and mentally so far ON MY OWN. When i start to slow down, that's where the trainer kicks you in the ass and gets you moving and back on track.

Like I said, is AJJ good, yeah, hell yeah they are, spent too many years there to say otherwise. I personally do better though with one on one work in certain areas and AJJ for me was too packed last time I was there. I am happy to have the one on one or one on a few people to deal with at this point but WILL NEVER TAKE AWAY anything that AJJ does or can teach you, they have ruled KC for too long in competition for anyone to try to take from their accomplishments.

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 10:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about the MFS folks here. As I understood it, it was a combined MFS/AJJ school.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly it was just MFS. AJJ came in to teach the grappling aspect of it. MFS was actually running for a couple of months prior to this. Ettish and Imes were those to be the certified instructors for MFS (according to MFS website they were those listed) Kimmons actually went through the training at the same time.

Extremely simplified, I'm sure much much more in depth but nothing that I care to jump into, I've got enough to worry about with training than to deal with the stress of politics
    Last edited by TheGoodRev; 10/23/2006 8:54am at .

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 10:54am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will fit in. Start with a beginner's class and move up to the fight classes as you feel ready. You'll be fine.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodRev
    Honestly it was just MFS. AJJ came in to teach the grappling aspect of it. MFS was actually running for a couple of months prior to this. Ettish and Imes were those to be the certified instructors for MFS (according to MFS website they were those listed) Kimmons actually went through the training at the same time. AJJ is now combined with the MFS school in Blue Springs since that point but if I recall correctly were talking prior to that about teaching the JJ there.

Extremely simplified, I'm sure much much more in depth but nothing that I care to jump into, I've got enough to worry about with training than to deal with the stress of politics
    So Fred Ettish lives in Kansas City now? Weird.

I didn't know there was any politics involved, just an innocuous unresolved issue of how to position either "brand" (AJJ & MFS).

Either way, Steve Crawford has been MMA in Kansas City for 10 years now. If AJJ is teaching the jits there, then what are the MFS guys teaching? Kickboxing? Should get Steve's input on all this.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 11:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That I don't know for sure, I know they do have a kickboxing guy, a boxing guy, AJJ doing JJ and such. What I call politics is basically stuff that "i don't care to be involved in" haha. Behind the scenes decisions and stuff just isn't my thing, never has been, I'm focused solely on training or teaching, at this moment it happens to be training. I cannot disagree with Crawford being MMA in KC for 10 yrs now, nor do I care to, AJJ has been on top in MMA and grappling in KC since at least 1999 when I started with them and were already winning events at that time so I would say roughly 10 yrs sounds good. I've never taken a damn thing away from AJJ and never will, AJJ is very good with technique, dominate locally and have put someone in the UFC.

Like I said, personal choice for me was dealing with MFS, I have a coach that really pushes me harder than I have been pushed and that's what I need, some don't need that. Smaller environments are what I deal with better in training, AJJ used to be smaller, now, "they are the place to be" and they are packed full of fighters, all of which are good, but personally I deal better with more personalized training. That's just me but nothing but love for AJJ and my fellow guys there, always in my heart and I'll go to lunch or dinner and BS with any of them even though I don't train with them right now, all still good people. Sorry guys, short on sleep, gotta fight Friday night so my mind is racing 1000 miles an hour.

Basic idea: AJJ has tons of good fighters and a tried and true record, at least check them out and see if they are a fit for you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 2:09pm

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the Jiujitsu like at AJJ?

Do the instructors have any rank in BJJ?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast