Posted On:
    10/15/2006 5:13pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    I have a question:
    How easily is it determined whether the person to be restrained is intent on only hurting you, or only hurting himself? Do you have a policy stating that you should assume they could try to hurt themselves at any moment, for safety.

If you somehow knew they would not hurt themselves, couldn't you just try your best to defend yourself with a tight guard and circling?

I think if they would hurt themselves, it's much harder to deal with.

It's dependent on the individual, from my understanding (keep in mind I just started there). Some individuals pitch a fit and do HULK SMASH on tables and such, but they don't actually break anything or hurt themselves. However, there ARE some people who do headbanging and some people who are more aggressive than others. If they escalate it to the point that they will cause harm to themselves or others, then that's the point when there is a physical intervention - for example, if they try to push around other residents.

=-=-

Johnny - I'm actually an instructor in a part of the facility that should be fairly calming for the residents - a multisensory environment that lets them get sensory experiences in a healthy way. In terms of my primary duties, I don't expect this to come up much, but it may be an issue outside of my primary duties, like if I accompany residents on a field trip.

That's damned good advice, and the CPI manual basically teaches that any kind of restraint has to be done with minimum 2 people, preferably 3. My question was more along the lines of "I'm a first responder, while help is on the way, what could I do?"

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 2:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tazer,you can claim it is theraputic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't tell them you practice any martial arts. Forget you practice any martial arts. The legal liability in your setting is just too great to "volunteer" in any way whatsoever.

Don't be a first responder. If you can't avoid it (for example, you were already there when an episode starts) don't try at all to subdue them. Just stay out of their way, cover up, and let THEM bruise YOU (it's a lot better to look like the victim). Gradually, let the other attendants "show you the way" on what's appropriate and what's not. You aren't there to be an orderly (restrainer) just to be an instructor.

Your training is probably most valuable in being able to cover up and worm out of bear hugs and grips. "Evade."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 1:05pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, arm drag to the back is your friend. Hold them down until help arrives, and look out for scratching and biting.

This is the same advice I gave my wife when she worked at an in-patient mental health facility. It served her well.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Steve
    My question was more along the lines of "I'm a first responder, while help is on the way, what could I do?"

Secure the area while waiting for backup.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 9:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was working as a security guard at the hospitals here in Calgary, I had to restrain a few people. Nobody very strong, but these are the techniques I used...

When a guy tried to leave the hospital, which he's not supposed to do yet, I just got behind him and bodylocked him (not before he had me in a loose guillotine... lol). I guess he decided it wasn't worth the effort and went back in. Another time, a guy tried to leave... I used a wristlock which turned into a kimura when he fell (or dropped on purpouse, I'm not sure) to the ground. He was real pissed off about that one. He wanted to smoke.

The other time's I had to restrain someone, I had help. And we were using actual (magnetic locking) restraints to tie her (a big, big girl with a learning disability) down to a chair..
    Last edited by chaosexmachina; 10/16/2006 9:13pm at .
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 11:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    This circle?

You rule Locu. Funny funny ****.

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 10:10am

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    This circle?

Maybe your first born will be retarded and then one day at your kids first specail olympics you can look back at today and say

"how ironic"
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12