Posted On:
    10/14/2006 11:53am

Style: NA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Shido Nation,

Here's a site
    http://michelsalvadori.free.fr/Site-...ettlebell.html
    with a BJJ competitor using the kettlestacks for conditioning.
    I don't think much is lost in the translation.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 4:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could probably make some like el macho said with some metal or wood(not as strong) but since you are going to buy some I guess you don't have to.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may be possible to make a homemade kettlebell, a ghetto-kettle. I would go with solid concrete rather than sand, though. However, the versatility of those kettlestacks is great.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2006 11:40pm

Style: Judo/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a lot of really creative exercises with dumbbells, too. Dumbbells are cheap and easily available.

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 9:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing with dumbells is that the handles are too narrow so they don't engage your wrist, thumb, hand, grip, forearms and stabilizing muscles the same way kettlebells do.

But certainly, a good set of dumbells can do wonders when working out at home.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 11:38pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    There is something I've been playing with lately, by grabbing dumbbells via a towel rather than the handle. It's it certainly not the same as kettlebells, but doing pench presses or overhead presses with those... while trying to keep the dumbbells from swinging too much, that's a bitch.
    Not too long ago T-mag (Testosterone Magazine) had an article about using a towel wrapped around a dumbell as a poor man's kettlebell. The article also suggested some exercises. I think the article may have actually been called "Poor Man's Kettlebell".

But I know it's always fun to have the real thing. I used to use a coconut shell as a jock stap. Worked like a charm but I eventually gave in and got a plastic guard based on pure vanity.

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 11:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    Not too long ago T-mag (Testosterone Magazine) had an article about using a towel wrapped around a dumbell as a poor man's kettlebell. The article also suggested some exercises. I think the article may have actually been called "Poor Man's Kettlebell".

But I know it's always fun to have the real thing. I used to use a coconut shell as a jock stap. Worked like a charm but I eventually gave in and got a plastic guard based on pure vanity.
    That's what I've been doing lately. I tried doing turkish get ups with that... and that's a bitch to do. :viking:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2006 5:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well my kettlestacks finally came. All in all I'm highly impressed, they really arent that hard to assemble/change weight and swinging em they dont (to me) feel significantly different from regular kettlebells and the handles are really comfy. I am getting a second one and would definately recommend them to a friend. If I have time I might write a more than 5 line review but bottom line is that they met my expectations and that is a pretty rare thing when it comes to internet fitness toys.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12