Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 4:49pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    another thing you might try is hydrating more. Try drinking a glass of water preferably at room temperature about 15 minutes give or take before you go running.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    10/28/2006 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft
    If you breathe trough your mouth on the way in (inhale through your mouth), the air you inhale will not be warmed as it should be. When you inhale through the nose, your nose and mucus warm up the air, because cold air is actually bad for your lungs. If you insist on breathing through your mouth, put your tongue against the top of your mouth, it'll warm up air passing in a bit too.
    Before I go on about this, first let me present my background.

I tried to run varsity cross-country and track in college - did manage one race as varsity my freshman year, but that was because one of the more senior runners was out sick. I was training about 60 miles a week; maybe good for 15:30-16:00 5K, in the 27s for 8.

Pretty much mediocre for D1 (neede to be 80+ and 14:30-15, 24-25), so I dropped it. A few years later, I coached high school cross country, about 5 years, and maintained about 30 miles per week, year round.

Year round, here, meant refrequently training at below-zero F temps; I ran outside as long as it was above -20, -10 if there was wind. One of my better race times, over that period, was a 17:15 5K on a -10 below day. I bring that up to point out that I ran at some effort on cold days, not just jogging.

Running inside, in the dry air, sucked more than running outside in the cold.

And that's consistent with some research - dry affects breathing more than cold.

See http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/128/4/2412 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

The reason I gave my backround is to give myself some credibility to say this: people come up with all kinds of ideas about how to breathe when they run, and most are bullshit.

Breathing through your nose is one of them.

The only advice I give about breathing is to simply breathe. I might suggest to note if your breathing is in sync with your stride ( I generally breathe out every other right foot) - but that seems to come with training.

john joe, without knowing your previous cardiac training, my first guess was the same as Canyukushin - you're not in shape for running. The sore throat probably comes from drying caused by continuous heavy breathing - what have you been doing to maintain a 65% or so HRM continuous effort, prior to starting running?

Why are you running? If you're not maintaining a 65%+ HRM, you just as well be walking.

I would think it would be hard to maintain a usefully high effort if you're breathing in through your nose only.

How do you breathe when you fight? I would suggest you don't breathe much differently when running.

Hydrating is a good idea. You also might try fish oil - see
    http://www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/129/1/39 and
    http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/reprint/168/10/1181
    Last edited by dakotajudo; 10/28/2006 8:06pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2006 11:44am

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interesting ^

I usually run interval style, sprint-jog-sprint etc.

when you say prior to starting running, do you mean immediately prior to commencing a run? I generally skip 5-10 minutes before i go out. Or did you mean it as in have i just taken up running? Coz i've not, I've been running a few times a week for a couple of years but it always fucks my throat. The in-through-the nose advice, which is how i breathe in the ring, seemed to help, but now the temperature has taken another big drop its pretty much back to square one.

what else... i train usually 5x2hr sessions a week, 4 MT 1 BJJ, so my stamina is good.

i should probably point out that i am the king of the sore throats anyway; i cop for a throat infection of some kind about every 4 months, and i've had problems in the past where i've woke up in the night with my throat being so dry the skin has cracked and bled. waking at 4am gargling blood is nasty. my GP cant offer any explanation, only that smoking may have damaged my throat (i smoked from 14 to 23)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 5:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by john joe
    interesting ^

I usually run interval style, sprint-jog-sprint etc.

when you say prior to starting running, do you mean immediately prior to commencing a run? I generally skip 5-10 minutes before i go out. Or did you mean it as in have i just taken up running? Coz i've not, I've been running a few times a week for a couple of years but it always fucks my throat. The in-through-the nose advice, which is how i breathe in the ring, seemed to help, but now the temperature has taken another big drop its pretty much back to square one.

what else... i train usually 5x2hr sessions a week, 4 MT 1 BJJ, so my stamina is good.

i should probably point out that i am the king of the sore throats anyway; i cop for a throat infection of some kind about every 4 months, and i've had problems in the past where i've woke up in the night with my throat being so dry the skin has cracked and bled. waking at 4am gargling blood is nasty. my GP cant offer any explanation, only that smoking may have damaged my throat (i smoked from 14 to 23)
    Have you tried sleeping with a vaporizer running in your room? On advice from the friendly folk here, I picked one up for about $10, and it's worked wonders. When I'm up, my body does nothing but produce mucus, but when I'm sleeping, I get bone dry. Since, especially during winter, the indoor air is extremely dry *talking even less humidity than most deserts*, it could be contributing to your throat trouble.

As for my throat and running: I'm still pretty damn out of shape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 7:47pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may, or may not, have something to do with all the strangers you give head to along the way.

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 7:51pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Letum
    It may, or may not, have something to do with all the strangers you give head to along the way.
    not clever nor funny

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 8:02pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to have this problem, but I haven't since I moved to California (The marine climate also appears to have alleviated the small allergies I had, as well as halting the occasional sinus congestion I used to get). I'd also like to point out that trying to breathe exclusively through my nose (though I do mostly) during long runs makes my nose drip for the rest of the day.

I'm not sure why, but I guess it's not so bad as far as side effects go.
    Last edited by Cassius; 11/27/2006 8:06pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123