Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my message I said "I disagree with that. In that same logic, then kids should play soccer or baseball or basketball until they are 15. " I meant to say that"....then kids should NOT play soccer or baseball or basketball until they are 15..." Now you know why I chose the icon of the man beating his head against the keyboard. :)

Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
  2. Michael

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 2:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And ignorance will pervail. Is BJJ better than TKD for a 10 or 11 year old? Let me dust off my psychology degree let me explain a few things. Most kids at that age do not have the full cognitive ability to fully utilize the techniques taught in either one of the arts. You have to ask yourself why BJJ doesn't have a kids program and what would they teach them if they did versus whatever the TKD school is teaching them (sounds like a mcdojo tkd school anyway so you did good).

Most of the techniques taught in submission wrestling shouldn't be taught to younger kids because of two reasons. A. they are dangerous and the kid may know this and then they are afraid to put them on because of fear of what they will do or implications following. B. They don't realize the danger and they end up seriously hurting somebody ie. choke hold.

Grappling for kids should be reserved to throwing the bully pinning the bully. Save the rest until later. TKD usually takes a punch and kick self defense posture (I teach TKD and grappling btw). This will make the kid look bad if this is done at school and gives the school a bad rap.

BJJ and TKD have there places for kids to learn unfortunately what are they learning? Confidence is a good self defense but will it always be there. It sounds like your sister may have been brain washed and needs to be better enlightened. Unfortunately the same could be said for you. If you could merge the two you could develope good morales, better confidence, and practical self-defense. But hey you may not have that choice in your area....

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 4:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to admit it, but Michael is right. There are pleanty of good TKD schools that are very well balanced in teaching the different aspects of TKD, however, we usually hear about the ones that are the McDojos (or in TKD case McDojang) ;) It is like the public opinoin on police. We hear about a handful of bad cops, but we rarely hear about the multitude of good cops that are out there.

So it is up to us to try and keep the name of TKD, going by reminding people that there are some good schools that are out there.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 4:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, meant to post my last reply to a different topic. Please disregard.

Jeremy M. Talbott
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12