223828 Bullies, 3930 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 14
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. GRiN911 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1

    Posted On:
    9/03/2002 4:47pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...takes TKD. I'm going to make a loooong story as short as I can.

    1. My nephew has an interest in jiu-jitsu from watching a movie.
    2. What a coincidence. I start training BJJ with whom I believe will be a great teacher. Unfortunately, he no longer has a kids class.
    3. Sister now wants him to take TKD at his school (he's starting the 5th grade)which is also convenient for her as she will not have to drop off/pick up my nephew for those classes.
    4. I say, "Nooooooooooooo!" and express my views on the matter. I tell her I will handle the transportation duties for her if I can find a good BJJ school for him.
    5. Big argument ensues for next two weeks. I'm not even going to describe how much of an understatement "big argument" is. It got pretty bad.
    6. Things calmed down. I just happen to run across this video http://www.budogirlsvideo.com/tape1/dachau_pullach.mpg I convinced my sister to watch it. Then I told her, among other things as she watched, "That's exactly what you're son is going to try to do when that first, real big bully at school tries to pick on him."

    Conclusion: I saved my nephew from TKD.

    p.s. Me being half Korean does not obligate me to take pride in or even "like" TKD. Just thought I'd get that off my chest after arguing about it with my damn mom. God damn it, she keeps telling me how with TKD or TSD you can beat up "seven" people at once. She's still telling that to my nephew too.
  2. Mr_Clean is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    22

    Posted On:
    9/03/2002 5:02pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job on saving the nephew.

    We have two individuals in our dojo who are trying to pick up our system who are 2nd Dan's in TKD. It scares me to actually watch them. Neither can do a decent front or back fall and forget a Sutemi. Their movements are extremely blocky and telegraphed.

    As an art form it is cool to watch the moves, reminds me of a dance. On the other hand I can't help but critique it and say pick off that, block that, absorb the hit then destroy the joint...blah blah blah.

    I reality I got lucky, did some homework and picked a good system to learn. I guess I can look at it this way......they can teach me, teach me what NOT to do.
  3. Your All Tools is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    54

    Posted On:
    9/03/2002 6:47pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are very lucky that you saved them the embarassment of taking TKD. You saved them from learning how to count to ten in Korean, and perform worthless forms that are taught in every TKD school in America.

    In my time in the arts I have met less than 3 people who I feel could defend themselves in the street using solely their TKD training.

    Your All Tools
  4. HaHa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    27

    Posted On:
    9/03/2002 7:54pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD can be good with cross training in a ground art and maybe some boxing for hand techs.
  5. marty_farty is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    90

    Posted On:
    9/03/2002 8:47pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man the tkd in my city is not anything near that gay...and i dont like tkd either
  6. Miguksaram is offline
    Miguksaram's Avatar

    Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,523

    Posted On:
    9/09/2002 11:19am

    supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhhh....I get it...So if you don't like a specific martial art or have never taken it to understand it, then it must suck. Cool. Better yet if you have only experienced the art from one instructor and only took it for a couple of months, even a year, you must know all there is to it and so can objectively say it sucks.

    Great in that case, the shotokan I took for 2 months at the park district is enough for me to say that all shotokan sucks, because the instructor only lived for teaching tournament style sparring. So ALL Shotokan systems and teachers must suck.

    Do you see where I am going with this? It seems that most of you love to down TKD because you are mostly exposed to the tournament aspect of the art. This is an unfortunate flaw in the system today. The sad part is that I would almost agree with you if I haven't been lucky enough to study under TKD instructors who taught the different aspects of the art and not just the tournament stuff. So before you down a specific art with no knowledge in it, try to learn from it. There are many people out there who can show you different areas of the art besides the tournament.

    PS- I don't really believe all Shotokan sucks, I was just trying to make a point.

    Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
  7. darkface is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    67

    Posted On:
    9/09/2002 11:28am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is doomed!

    But this argument migth work on your nephews parents... Young kids befor 15 yrs age should not train kicks or punches, it canhurt their joints. Til they reach 15 yrs of age the only "martial" training good for them is is wrestling (JJ, Wrestling, BJJ, Judo).


    NHB or nothing!
  8. Miguksaram is offline
    Miguksaram's Avatar

    Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,523

    Posted On:
    9/09/2002 11:37am

    supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree with that. In that same logic, then kids should play soccer or baseball or basketball until they are 15.

    Besides, the arts that you mention do more manipulation on the joints than TKD does, wrist locks, arm locks, throws. Are you saying that thowing a kid around before he is 15 is not damaging to their body?

    Jeremy M. Talbott
    http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
    http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
  9. bhudhijeevi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    31

    Posted On:
    9/09/2002 12:02pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD...Ahhhh....
    damn i dunno standards of TKD in US, but damn it's no bad, but if u save ur nephew from MCDojo then u r damn good uncle...like i had one :)

    beating up 6-7 ppls with TKD?? ummmmm watever u do, u dont' normally stand a chance against that many oppnt unless u r Wong fei hung or hung kei kwan

    and for God sake understand ppl TKD uses ground finishing techniques too... i've most of wristocking and joint locking in my Yellow stripe(one ahead after white, i m yellow from last 3 n 1/2 yrs) and as we go along we go more ground fnishin techs...
    umm grading is really degrading in TKD here too..
    but techs work fine irrespective of dojo or street.
    may be My teacher is Bloody Good for TKD...
    he advocate cross training too, i hav cross trained with boxers, wrestlers and many more styles.

    wrestling styles r good and they give confidence in one's power/strength, i wouldn't mind adovacating that too...
    -Bhudhijeevi-
  10. Greese is offline
    Greese's Avatar

    Motorboatin SOB

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    5,970

    Posted On:
    9/09/2002 12:06pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know in Judo, join locks are not suppose to be used or taught before the age of 14 or 15 for just that reason. As for the throws, when you there are kids throwing, the don't rally ever get hurt.
    First, falling is drilled in the young kid classes for monthes. Then, even when they are throwing, they are falling from a short distance (at most the height of there same age opponent.)
    In fact, a student using them in a tournament is, I believe immeadiate disqualification.
    However, as anti-TKD as I am (all of it, not just the sport) I doubt it would hurt the kids joints. I did TKD for several years in a non-Mcdojo enviroment and never had a problem, nor did anyone else I knew. However, I do know several people that have tried to throw TKD leg tech's pull groin muscles and stuff.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.