225275 Bullies, 3643 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 71 to 80 of 85
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Judah Maccabee is offline
    Judah Maccabee's Avatar

    Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,325

    Posted On:
    6/03/2008 7:58am

    supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry I missed out on this thread earlier. It could've helped me a year ago. :(

    ==

    I had a "come to Jesus" talk with my instructor about 6 months into my training because I had been working too hard for the sub instead of having fun and learning.

    Cassius' suggestion of working something completely different to bring interest and fun back in is one that's worked well for me. I usually tend to play guard and go for submissions from the back; lately, I've been working for the guard pass instead, working against other's guards. It puts me in the unfamiliar position of being the aggressor and in one to potentially score more points in a competition (in my first comp, I got knocked out of my division in the second bracket because of an advantage - if I had been more aggressive and gotten points, it wouldn't have happened).
  2. Southpaw is offline
    Southpaw's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,907

    Posted On:
    6/27/2009 8:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dug up this old thread because I started having some frustration issues recently, and I remember that I had started a thread on this topic before.

    At my three year mark, I'm happy to say that I'm still really enjoying bjj, training on average three times a week for two hours.

    I feel like I'm definitely getting better, and merely suck now as opposed to being shitty. Anyway, I've started having issues w/ losing again. No sir. I don't like it.

    I was doing great for a long time not worrying at all about getting tapped out. Now it makes me mad. The frustration of losing is back...but now, instead of being frustrated b/c I don't know what to do (like in the original post), I get frustrated b/c I do know what to do...but still can't do it.

    I'm sure this is goes along w/ the normal peaks and valleys of training...but I felt internet should know how I feel. ;)




    I did want to mention that I took you up on this advice Cassius:

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    My suggestion: Try playing a completely different game for the next week or two. Play a guard you don't normally play. Go for submissions and sweeps you don't normally try. Fight from top instead of bottom or vice versa. Switch EVERYTHING up for at least one night.

    One, it gives you a break from the same ol same ol rut you might feel you're in. Puts the fun back in the game. Two, you might find something you like. Three, when you suck, you can tell yourself that it's because you're playing outside of your comfort zone. Sure, that's kind of copping out, but whatever keeps you in the game and enjoying yourself.
    About a year ago I did this. As a fairly big guy (225lbs) I was never really comfortable on my back. I took this advice and spent a good 6 months playing nothing but my guard game. I fucking love it now. Seriously fun. Great advice. Thanks
  3. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    6/29/2009 12:02pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I was doing great for a long time not worrying at all about getting tapped out. Now it makes me mad. The frustration of losing is back...but now, instead of being frustrated b/c I don't know what to do (like in the original post), I get frustrated b/c I do know what to do...but still can't do it.
    The whole "no ego on the mat" mantra isn't entirely true. While tapping usually means you're learning, if you like getting tapped you're not going to improve. Getting beat sucks. Getting beat, while knowing you're about to get beat sucks worse.

    Oddly enough this is a key thing that those that get annoyed at Sirc and HH's insufferable tirades and trolling about crappy throwdown performances don't understand.
  4. Judobum is offline
    Judobum's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    374

    Posted On:
    7/01/2009 6:34pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    The whole "no ego on the mat" mantra isn't entirely true. While tapping usually means you're learning, if you like getting tapped you're not going to improve. Getting beat sucks. Getting beat, while knowing you're about to get beat sucks worse.

    This is completely true and something you need to embrace if you want to become a higher level competitor. I was very easy going in the beginning of my competitive days. In randori I'd go easy with some guys and let them throw me when I could've escaped or blocked. My coach pulled me aside and basically told me that if I wanted to become a high level competitor that that had to stop. He said that at all times in randori I should make sure I was the best and that I won. Giving up little throws to your buddies turns into a habit of occasionally letting yourself be thrown which is no good.

    That mindset served me well through my competitive career. Every training camp, dojo visit, etc I went in with the mindset of being the big dog and showing everyone else I was, no matter who they were. I can remember a training camp in Montreal where the American team was down. I went with Jimmy Pedro for standing randori and went after him like he'd done carnal things with my mother. Managed to throw him twice... and then I think he got pissed off and tossed me around for most of the rest of the match. Was still hella fun though.

    You have to always keep the mindset that you're going to win if you want to get better. If you're losing, look at why and what you can do to fix it. You won't always be the best but you should always, always be looking to improve.
  5. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    7/01/2009 7:26pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See I wouldn't go that far. Randori in judo or bjj isn't supposed to be about winning; getting better, yes. The two aren't always tied together. It is a fine balance though.

    What I'm talking about is more an absence of complacency.
  6. Judobum is offline
    Judobum's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    374

    Posted On:
    7/01/2009 10:40pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    See I wouldn't go that far. Randori in judo or bjj isn't supposed to be about winning; getting better, yes. The two aren't always tied together. It is a fine balance though.

    What I'm talking about is more an absence of complacency.
    It depends on your goals at the time. I would usually cycle somewhat. In the times leading up to nationals I was more or less 100%, no give all the time in randori. Not slamming people or anything but not giving anything up, grip fighting constantly and trying to win conitnuously. This was to prepare me for the important tournaments where it's essential you maintain that level all the time if you want to do well.

    In the down time of the season I would dial it back a bit but I still never really lost that focus. This is mostly with guys my level, lower level guys I would generally focus on trying to work different things and generally use no power at all to work on speed and technique.

    If you look at the top guys (in judo at least) this is absolutely how they train. You'll never see them go easy in randori and let guys throw them, just doesn't happen. They're not going constantly balls to wall intensity but they generally never give anything up. I think once you're competing at that level and intensity it gets kind of hardwired into you.

    To bring it back to the original topic, if you're getting compacent and find you're losing, try pushing a bit harder in randori. Set goals for each session. If you're going with weaker/smaller/less skilled guys give yourself a handicap and work around it. These are the kinds of things you need to do to keep progressing at any level.
  7. El Pibe is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    39

    Posted On:
    7/09/2009 11:52pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel this. I feel like my game goes up and down depending on the day. There was a week before when I wasn't even thinking while training and I was giving people hell.

    Now it's back to being back and forth.

    The most frustrating thing for me is I'm a small guy. I'd say 90% of the time if someone taps me it's because they were better. But I KNOW that there are a few times when people just use strength and that drives me insane, because I feel like I should be able to overcome that. I hate getting tapped by someone who isn't being technical but just tossing me around. It makes me feel like training is for naught if someone has the advantage of just having better genes.
  8. Fighting Cephalopod is offline
    Fighting Cephalopod's Avatar

    Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,981

    Posted On:
    7/21/2009 1:59pm

    supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you get tapped in practice and get pissed at your training partner, you're a dick.

    If you get tapped in practice and don't get pissed at yourself, you're a tool.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.
  9. tao.jonez is offline
    tao.jonez's Avatar

    Ninja Fruit

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,055

    Posted On:
    7/23/2009 2:12pm


     Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adding to this thread because I really like the conversation, and a lot of the older advice applies to me. I have a scenario I'd really love some feedback on:

    Lately in class I've been doing really well rolling with our blue and white belts - holding my own against blues and essentially dominating whites, while trying to learn something and/or teach something depending on my partner. I've been the uke/demo dummy for all sorts of techniques, and I'm honored to have that position.

    We don't have a lot of purples at my school, and last night I ended up rolling with a black belt instructor and former competitive fighter. I felt like a toddler grappling an anaconda. The guy wouldn't give me an iota of room to work, just dominated the **** out of me and capitalized brutally on my (multiple) mistakes. I don't feel like I learned a single thing, there was just too big a gap between my knowledge and his skill. Not to mention the guy has 45 lbs on me, which made the skill gap even more painfully obvious.

    I don't mind tapping to anybody - I feed my less skilled partners armbars, back mount, triangles...and try to work myself or help them through the mental processes they need to make techniques work. Sometimes I am able to work out of a position, other times I tap. Fine. But rolling with this BB was just pure frustration with no learning taking place.

    BB capitalized on my mistakes with skill which is reasonable, but to be honest, he finished me with pure brute force. After tapping a few times I thanked him for the chiropractic adjustment, but frankly I was pissed. Am I wrong? Nobody got anything out of it, and this is class rolling not fuckin Mundials. I'm no egomaniac when I roll or work with lower rank/skilled partners, so why dog me so bad?

    I get the idea put forth by jnp that negative reinforcement works, but shouldn't there be a reasonable limit?

    Today = can't swallow without pain + purple big toe + sore neck + trashed shoulder. Seems an extreme lesson.
  10. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    7/23/2009 2:33pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    Adding to this thread because I really like the conversation, and a lot of the older advice applies to me. I have a scenario I'd really love some feedback on:

    Lately in class I've been doing really well rolling with our blue and white belts - holding my own against blues and essentially dominating whites, while trying to learn something and/or teach something depending on my partner. I've been the uke/demo dummy for all sorts of techniques, and I'm honored to have that position.

    We don't have a lot of purples at my school, and last night I ended up rolling with a black belt instructor and former competitive fighter. I felt like a toddler grappling an anaconda. The guy wouldn't give me an iota of room to work, just dominated the **** out of me and capitalized brutally on my (multiple) mistakes. I don't feel like I learned a single thing, there was just too big a gap between my knowledge and his skill. Not to mention the guy has 45 lbs on me, which made the skill gap even more painfully obvious.

    I don't mind tapping to anybody - I feed my less skilled partners armbars, back mount, triangles...and try to work myself or help them through the mental processes they need to make techniques work. Sometimes I am able to work out of a position, other times I tap. Fine. But rolling with this BB was just pure frustration with no learning taking place.

    BB capitalized on my mistakes with skill which is reasonable, but to be honest, he finished me with pure brute force. After tapping a few times I thanked him for the chiropractic adjustment, but frankly I was pissed. Am I wrong? Nobody got anything out of it, and this is class rolling not fuckin Mundials. I'm no egomaniac when I roll or work with lower rank/skilled partners, so why dog me so bad?

    I get the idea put forth by jnp that negative reinforcement works, but shouldn't there be a reasonable limit?

    Today = can't swallow without pain + purple big toe + sore neck + trashed shoulder. Seems an extreme lesson.
    Just because things hurt doesn't mean they were finished with brute force. I've rolled with our blackbelts a fair bit lately and also got pounded down, which is frustrating.

    There are at least two possibilities: 1) Your instructor is just a dick; 2) The lack of good training partners means that your instructor occasionally needs to go more forcefully with guys he's much better than and figured you could at least handle it. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

    I'm usually one of the easiest on lower belts and let them exploit intentional and unintentional opening but sometimes I have my own reasons for opening up on them too.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.