Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 11:34pm

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hitman: major props to you for bringing in Boyd.

To the original question:
    I've been doing judo for four or five years now, on and off. I come from a striking background (hapkido and escrima) so it was a really rough transition. I totally feel you on the frustration thing. The two things that help me are, focusing on my athletic conditioning, having the right mindset and finally, doing the research.

Even if a guy isn't born athletic, he can improve his conditioning through hard training-- that means weights, sprints, yoga/pilates and whatever else you can think of. Take it from me-- I was about the most unathletic person alive when I started (no taped glasses, but pretty close) and now I guess I am a pretty fair athlete. I look around at people my age in grad school who are breathing hard just carrying their books up the stairs, and I realize, ****, I am actually in pretty good shape. So even if you are not an athlete now, thru doing something tough like BJJ, and then supplemental conditioning you can become one.

Two, is like everyone else said, realize that everyone has bad days and good days, and that training is a time to play with stuff...man I am still working on this, but when I take that attitude, things seem to go better.

It seems like I'll never be happy with where I am in my training, and I actually think that is a good thing. A little dissatisfaction keeps me hungry, and motivates me at practice. I'm forever checking the web , browsing the bookstore and digging around the library for more information. There is some really, really good information out there....if you have access to a university level library, exploit that to the maximum, because a lot of the older grappling books have extremely useful informaiton. It also gives you perspective, too, to see how other people have approached things in the past. The guys I feel bad for are the ones who sit down one day in satisfaction and decide that they know everything.

Time has a way of passing them by. My goal is to keep learning as long as I am on this earth.
    Last edited by wackamole; 12/29/2006 11:39pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all again for your thoughts.

As I approach my 6th month of BJJ I am finding that I am still frustrated...but that the frustration has changed quite a bit. It feels more like 'regular' training frustration as opposed to frustration b/c I don't have a clue as to what to do.

I can see myself progressing...and I don't feel like "the new guy" anymore. Obviously I still get owned by the higher belts, and guys w/ more experience than I...but I am managing to put more time between us starting and me tapping...so that's a start.

When I roll w/ a newbie I can really tell how much I have learned b/c I am finally at a point that not only can I have my way with a newbie...but more importantly I am starting to see moves 2 and 3 moves ahead. That's a big deal for me.

Another thing that has really helped me is that over the past month or so I have started BJJ class AFTER I get a full Crossfit workout in. So...basically I am spent when class starts. I usually get a 2nd wind after awhile...but it has really helped me focus on technique as opposed to trying to muscle everything like I normally do as a fairly big guy.

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 10:38am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I've learnt is that sometimes, you do great is sparring because someone else is having a crappy day, or the person is just tired and is going easy on you, or the person is letting you win.

You go home thinking that you've improved tremendously and thus feel happy about it.

Next class comes around, the same person taps you over and over. He's not tired today, and his mind is fresh.

Nothing changed regarding your skill level, it just seemed so to you the week before, hence you think it's a roller coaster ride. So I've learnt not to compare my progress to who I can tap during training, I set my own goals for each training session, and if i meet those goals, I'm happy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 12:23pm

Style: Sub Westling, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Here's something to make you feel better - it never gets easy. I'm as frustrated with my BJJ training now as I was 5 years ago, 10 years ago and 15 years ago.
    Is that because you now have to fight Helios Disembodied head at every session? Its tough to get armbars on a disembodied head :D
    Last edited by DDale; 1/10/2007 12:29pm at .

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 1:02pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps the key to feeling better about your training is to imagine how the utter noobs feel, especially those who can only take one class per month or so because they keep breaking their fucking body parts all over the place.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2007 1:59pm

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Johnny S. wrote;

The frustration NEVER ends, because the learning never ends.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 10:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep...had a frustrating night. I actually tapped due to frustration and exhaustion to a guy who regularly crushes me and just mentally destroyed me tonight. I am embarrassed and had to tell someone and my wife didn't understand.

Somebody please hold me.

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 10:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My suggestion: Try playing a completely different game for the next week or two. Play a guard you don't normally play. Go for submissions and sweeps you don't normally try. Fight from top instead of bottom or vice versa. Switch EVERYTHING up for at least one night.

One, it gives you a break from the same ol same ol rut you might feel you're in. Puts the fun back in the game. Two, you might find something you like. Three, when you suck, you can tell yourself that it's because you're playing outside of your comfort zone. Sure, that's kind of copping out, but whatever keeps you in the game and enjoying yourself.

I had a really shitty week with my usual open/closed guard game about 6 months ago, and my solution was to spend one night playing upside down guard and going for ridiculous submissions and sweeps from half guard and x guard if/when I utterly failed at upside down guard. It was like a mental vacation. Other times, when I am feeling less comedic, I focus on my much stronger top game to make myself feel better.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 10:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a good idea.

I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2008 11:08pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw
    Fair enough.

I don't want anyone to think that just because I tapped a purple belt once...that I think I was better than him.

He usually owns me. I know I got lucky...and who knows...he might have let me.

I guess for me I was happy b/c if was solid evidence that I was actually improving.l

Good advice though. Thanks
    High five!! I love tapping higher belts. But in the back of my mind, there is always the nagging doubt.. Did they let me do that/slack off and get caught? I dont know either way, but it makes me feel great too.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast