Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/02/2006 12:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the feeling. Been doing bjj for hmm 3months now? Its a new class so we all are whitebelts, everybody but me are shooto guys so its not like they dont know their way around the mat. I been tapping to fellow whitebelts now for 3months and it feels like ****. I manage to tap one guy once. I do feel like I suck but I learn every time I get tapped.
    Like my teacher says lose in the sparring not in the fights :-). But its still hard to get your ass handed to you regularly.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/02/2006 9:04pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    ever have the "armbar extravaganza" when a purple belt is trying to hammer into ur head that straight arms doing nothing = you get submitted?

at least 10 armbars per minute average of 3-4 minute rolling
    I'm not kidding when I say we do this to help you. Usually when I'm rolling with a white belt, and I'm not working on anything in particular, all I do is capitalize on their mistakes. I don't look for subs at all. I just take what they give me. If they leave their arm out, I armbar them. If they don't keep their base in guard, I sweep them etc.

It's called negative reinforcement. If you're not stupid, eventually your brain will start to recognize your bad habits, consciously or subconsciously. I know from experience that rolling against higher belts that do this to you isn't a terribly fun experience, but I guarantee you'll get better faster rolling against higher ranks that do this to you.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2006 9:13pm

Style: Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I'm not kidding when I say we do this to help you. Usually when I'm rolling with a white belt, and I'm not working on anything in particular, all I do is capitalize on their mistakes. I don't look for subs at all. I just take what they give me. If they leave their arm out, I armbar them. If they don't keep their base in guard, I sweep them etc.

It's called negative reinforcement. If you're not stupid, eventually your brain will start to recognize your bad habits, consciously or subconsciously. I know from experience that rolling against higher belts that do this to you isn't a terribly fun experience, but I guarantee you'll get better faster rolling against higher ranks that do this to you.
    I have to strongly agree here.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 12:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by twKoxinga
    ever have the "armbar extravaganza" when a purple belt is trying to hammer into ur head that straight arms doing nothing = you get submitted?

at least 10 armbars per minute average of 3-4 minute rolling
    A few months ago I went through the "cross choke extravaganza". Purple probably cross choked me 15 times during a four minute roll.

What did I learn? I learned how to pick up on many of the set-ups and how to defend. He has not been able to cross choke me since.

jnp speaks the truth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 6:51am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    surely a lot of a 'good night' or 'bad night' is personal perception. On two nights you could be performing at a very similar level, but one night you're getting encouragement and compliments, your training partners are letting you try stuff et cetera. I recently experienced a very frustrating training session, feeling that I was performing in an awful fashion, I probably was! But others were watching and bothered to point out what I was doing right, said some very encouraging things, and i went away thinking it was a 'good night'. I'm sure most teachers are aware of this, and good self perception can certainly lead to good performance, so long as people don't kid themselves! Also, are the nights that feel 'good' really the ones where you actually ARE performing good??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is the worst form of BJJ frustration. There are these 3 guys roughly my size who started around the time I did. For the first two months I raped the hell out of them every roll (because I am very very strong for my weight and was just outmuscling them) but now that they are learning techniques they are actually beating me every roll (I've been told they come 5-6 times a week and I only come 2-3 so it could be expected) Still though is pisses me off because I know that like a month ago I would have killed the guy who's tapping me.

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 1:37pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kracker
    Here is the worst form of BJJ frustration. There are these 3 guys roughly my size who started around the time I did. For the first two months I raped the hell out of them every roll (because I am very very strong for my weight and was just outmuscling them) but now that they are learning techniques they are actually beating me every roll (I've been told they come 5-6 times a week and I only come 2-3 so it could be expected) Still though is pisses me off because I know that like a month ago I would have killed the guy who's tapping me.
    Sounds like they got inside of your OODA Loop.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 3:21pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp

I forgot two rather salient points in the above post. First, and most importantly, ask questions. Ask the higher ranks what you did wrong. Ask them how they nullified your technique. When you're rolling with higher belts, pay attention to their positioning and base. Watch the higher ranks when they roll against each other. Try to compare the differences between your technique and their technique.

Second, in the interest of full disclosure, I should tell you that my instructor still uses negative reinforcement sometimes when he rolls with me.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2006 5:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand why he did it

I was just sharing an experience I'm sure other people have had.

The thing about that time was, he told me almost after every sub how he got me, so i learned the general idea of how to avoid giving up an arm so easily.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 10:16pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bran sao
    I've had the frustration of being shown too many techniques without being able to drill each one sufficiently. I've been taught about 40 techniques already and some I've barely been able to drill.
    This has bugged me in judo. I've yet to take the yellow belt test because I'm clueless about the required techniques. It seems as if we're always doing a new technique (do I really need to know 50 similiar but not identical ways of breaking somebody's turtle defence, especially at this point?). My class is more oriented towards beginners and low ranks, there's another for more experienced judokas. We also have sparring, which I have deemed to be almost useless at this point, because fluidly executing a technique that I barely know againts a moving, resisting partner is simply impossible.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast