Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 3:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese
    I ... knew they [the BB's] were tired,..
    Our academy is pretty new, so the blackbelts we have are the instructors and don't really roll, so I can't judge their stamina.

BUT, we have a bunch of blues that ARE like your proverbial Energizer Bunny with stamina that never seems to quit. For example I rolled with one last night for about 6 minutes straight AFTER he'd already been "centerman" and been sparring with all-comers (no timer, until winning or losing the round then take the next person in line), and d*amn I was tired after, but he just went out to the mat again to spar two more 6 minute rounds with another person - without any sign of slowing down. I can understand giving 100% for one or two rounds, but some of those people were at it for 45 minutes over the course of the evening without flagging....

So, if you were lucky enough that your BB's reached the "tired, slower" stage, I can only wonder what their workouts were like before you rolled with them, that there WERE actually so tired....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing the blackbelts were rolling with each other first. The only time I've ever seen my instructor look exhausted was after he rolled with another BB for about 10 minutes (and I've seen him roll lots). A lot of times when it seems like the really good BJJers are working hard, they're actually pretty relaxed. Naturally, they'll go all out when they're up against someone of the same skill level though :)

On topic, I really feel what the OP is saying. I just had a really good night after feeling like I completely sucked for the last 2 weeks. The good night was worth the dozen bad ones.
    Last edited by Barrett; 10/19/2006 11:56am at .

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 1:32pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldDog53
    Our academy is pretty new, so the blackbelts we have are the instructors and don't really roll, so I can't judge their stamina.

BUT, we have a bunch of blues that ARE like your proverbial Energizer Bunny with stamina that never seems to quit. For example I rolled with one last night for about 6 minutes straight AFTER he'd already been "centerman" and been sparring with all-comers (no timer, until winning or losing the round then take the next person in line), and d*amn I was tired after, but he just went out to the mat again to spar two more 6 minute rounds with another person - without any sign of slowing down. I can understand giving 100% for one or two rounds, but some of those people were at it for 45 minutes over the course of the evening without flagging....

So, if you were lucky enough that your BB's reached the "tired, slower" stage, I can only wonder what their workouts were like before you rolled with them, that there WERE actually so tired....
    Yer blackbelts don't roll? More's the pity, but ours do and while their stamina is much better than mine or the majority of the people in the lower ranks, it doesn't mean they can't get tired and we all know that.

Honestly I can't remember watching them too thoughrougly to see why they were so tired but I can only assume they were going all out against each other for a while before hand. I just knew they fought me because they pro'lly needed a break and I was fresh from a rest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After 2-3 Months of BJJ, I still suck
    I can't do any guard passes
    No escapes(except squirming)
    No reversals/sweeps
    (I can do some stuff, but its not that great)

I suck, but I go so I can learn to be better, and hopefully by next year i can actually sense how much I've improved

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 5:08pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've been at it a few months but i generally only get to go once a week coz of work and muay thai commitments; theres lads that joined up 2 month ago but go 3-4 times a week that just run me over when i roll em.

tonight was a nightmare; i was tapping more than an epileptic bongo player. The after hours rolling session culminated in a five minute beasting from one of the purple belts. i have never experienced any level of physical discomfort in my whole life that comes near to what that five minutes was like. the guy wasnt even working subs, just cooking and smothering me til i couldnt breathe. it was physical and psychological torture rolled into one. (no pun intended!). i hop i can do that to someone one day.

MUST.BUY.MORE.GRACIE.BOOKS....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 6:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=john joe]....it was physical and psychological torture rolled into one. (no pun intended!). i hop i can do that to someone one day.
    [quote]

:evil1:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2006 8:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ever have the "armbar extravaganza" when a purple belt is trying to hammer into ur head that straight arms doing nothing = you get submitted?

at least 10 armbars per minute average of 3-4 minute rolling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2006 12:27pm

Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh yes.

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's something to make you feel better - it never gets easy. I'm as frustrated with my BJJ training now as I was 5 years ago, 10 years ago and 15 years ago.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    10/24/2006 12:34am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Johnny. Now, I want to shoot myself.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast