Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/15/2006 5:43pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, that might have come out a bit wrong. What I was trying to say is that, at least for me, a lot of the frustration I was feeling with my training came from the fact that I was not as good as I thought I should have been (for example, people that had trained an equivalent amount of time absolutely schooling me used to be something that I hated).

However, now I have accepted the fact that I am probably in the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to athletic talent (I always have and always will suck at sports. Hell I even managed to get an F in physical education, which is no small feat in swedish high school). This of course impacts my ability in BJJ, it being an athletic pursuit.

I also realized that if I was planning on pursuing BJJ, I was going to have to accept that I am probably not as athletically talented as most of the guys I traing with, and that I needed to come to terms with the fact that I was most likely going to continue seeing training partners get better more quickly than I did.

Capiche?

Edit: it's all about a stupid personality quirk where I think I automatically have to be the best, or at least very good, at everything I do. BJJ, in a sense, helped my overcome that trait.

**** I just felt like a support group participant. Huggs for all!
    Last edited by PoleFighter; 10/15/2006 5:46pm at .
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 12:58am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hugs!

(Sneaking in the double underhooks of course)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 1:23pm

Style: Still searching...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    My take on this: don't let tapping a purple belt mean anything to you. After all, that seems to be what got you down once the other white belts and the wrestler brought you back down to reality.

I know exactly how you feel and everyone likes to hold onto these little 'victories', but honestly, **** what these guys say: tapping a purple, brown, whatever, in rolling, means nothing. I roll with new guys all the time and am very lazy/too nice lots of the time and they think they 'really escaped that armbar' or 'did really well with my top game' because I didn't want to hurt them or decided to work on my defensive game that day.

I know guys who have tapped brown belts (and one who claims a black belt once), yet, when we roll, somehow I, with 1.5yrs of experience, own up on them. Realize that the brown might be having a bad day or letting you very deep into his game. Sometimes I go a month rolling with guys my level and never getting tapped (and rarely tap them), yet I have been tapped before while I was sick by a spankin' new white belt with a guillotine from mount! This **** just happens, it doesn't give any clear indication of anyone's overall skill.

If you continue your BJJ journey with that sort of mindset while rolling (and many do it seems), get used to the emotional, bipolar rollercoaster of bad nights/good nights, otherwise throw that **** out the window.
    What he said. The first few months of training I put way to much emphasis on how much progress I was making or comparing one day of training to another. Just stop caring. Be satisfied with just coming to practice an trying new things each day and having fun. The hardest part about this is everything around you is pressuring you to be over competitive, but you have to resist the urge and relax.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a few purples that if I tapped I would begin dancing (followed shortly thereafter by running). While sparring isn't about winning, it certainly can be and to some degree should be competitive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    There are a few purples that if I tapped I would begin dancing (followed shortly thereafter by running). While sparring isn't about winning, it certainly can be and to some degree should be competitive.
    Ofcourse, as long as your not facing enough frustration to make you want to quit.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're a complacent lot aren't you?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting lucky can feel really good.

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    10/16/2006 10:21pm

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing BJJ for four months as well. I feel exactly the same way, Amp. All though I never tapped a purple belt (you jerk). I went to a new school this month (because of living arrangements) and I got tooled by everybody. Now all but one guy had been doing it longer than me, but it still sucked to feel like a complete noob again (I know I'm still very much a noob, don't get me wrong).

However, there is a "Martial Arts" club at my school. And we finally got a room with mats, so I suggested rolling with this guy I know who talks about how he knows how to ground-grapple. Let's just say it made me feel great about my game. I was doing well enough to actually notice the good things I was doing. My positions were tighter than in my first month, and when he tried to roll me off of a mount, I just let him turn and got the RNC.

Granted, I learn more by tapping to better people, but it's nice to see your training take shape. It also made me want to go back to my school and get even better. Hopefully some newbie will come into school, and you will feel the same way. Just keep consistently training with people who do tap you, so you don't get a big ego or get bad habits that the newbie won't capitalize on. 4 Months of BJJ FTW!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 12:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    You're a complacent lot aren't you?
    What i meant to say is in sparring you should be competitive, but you shouldnt care about the outcome.

Posted On:
    10/18/2006 1:54pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remembered this thread yesterday when I tapped two BB's twice each, I knew they were tired, I knew I wasn't and they were taking it easy, but what I REALLY felt nice was I was also pretty technically sound and I didn't do the traditional "Judo rush tap" style but kept my cool and stuff. So I feel good when I beat a BB or actually anyone of a higher rank because I know if I was still ther energizer bunny and they were completely gassed they would still 0wn me if I slipped my technique.

And no, we go to learn and stuff but does that mean we just let the other guy win or don't fight with any energy? No, it means still fighting hard and not giving any ground but not letting losses get to you and looking at the fight afterwards and looking for things to learn from with it.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast