Posted On:
    10/12/2006 9:40am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Save Our Swords!

http://new.petitiononline.com/UKSwords/petition.html

A freind forwarded this on a while back & I've been meaning to post it; short story nanny state thinks
    1. hmm swords bad,
    2. Ban swords!
    3. PROFIT! (get good publicity)
    Haven't managed to get hold of the detials yet but thought it might intrest people here.
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am unsurprised. People are DUMB.

Also I begin to think it's time to remove "slippery slope" from the list of fallacies. If you can prove that it really happens in real life, is it still a fallacy? Britain has gone from outlawing machine guns to registration to outlawing (in fact if not in the letter of the law) most pistols and rifles to outlawing airguns to outlawing pocket knives to outlawing swords and holding amnesty turn-ins for kitchen knives.

The slippery slope is real. . . . .

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 4:17pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but . . . but . . . but if one crime is committed in Britain a year using an evil sword, if one child is injured by accident, isn't that one child too many?

*drinks cool aid*

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 4:26pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heard about this a while back, I'll see if I can dig up the details.

Yes, it blows, but it looks like there'll be exemptions to licenced practitioners. Thing is, it's either too much or too little. As far as I'm aware, the idiot chavs who've caused this by twatting people with swords aren't using mastercrafted pieces, they're using pieces of **** off ebay and are effectively bludgeoning people to death. Crap like that will still be sold as 'ornaments'.

On the flipside, limiting it to MAists doesn't help either, because now every idiot doing TKD or Karate will go and buy a live blade because they can, even though they know as much as any random chav about how to use it.

The law should either be left as is, or be limited to practitioners of recognised sword arts only. They should also ban all those 'ornaments' and 'display pieces' on principle.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iscariot;

Pardon my ignorance. What's a 'chav'?
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 4:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I'd thought that particular piece of slang had become universal. Read: 'Dickhead'.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 6:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot
    Heard about this a while back, I'll see if I can dig up the details.
    Cheers

Yes, it blows, but it looks like there'll be exemptions to licenced practitioners. Thing is, it's either too much or too little. As far as I'm aware, the idiot chavs who've caused this by twatting people with swords aren't using mastercrafted pieces, they're using pieces of **** off ebay and are effectively bludgeoning people to death. Crap like that will still be sold as 'ornaments'.
    Exactly the point, the people who had no intention of being idiots are restricted the rest carry on as before.

On the flipside, limiting it to MAists doesn't help either, because now every idiot doing TKD or Karate will go and buy a live blade because they can, even though they know as much as any random chav about how to use it.

The law should either be left as is, or be limited to practitioners of recognised sword arts only. They should also ban all those 'ornaments' and 'display pieces' on principle.
    I do some sword work (as kobudo and for my JJ 2nd dan) I would never claim to have a 'good' idea how to use it but I know the basics. If you restrict to sword arts your left with the same problem, how do you define 'sword arts'? Also what about the re-enactment lot?

The other Q is how do you define a sword? Are they just extending 'bladed weapons, will a naganta come under this and will you be able to carry a knife to train with?

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate1481
    I do some sword work (as kobudo and for my JJ 2nd dan) I would never claim to have a 'good' idea how to use it but I know the basics.

If you restrict to sword arts your left with the same problem, how do you define 'sword arts'? Also what about the re-enactment lot?
    Iaido, and that's about it really. You are required at 5th Dan to perform your Iai with a shinken. I can think of no other art that requires the use of a live blade in this country.

Arts that have a legitamite claim to using sword work (Kendo, JJJ) should be allowed iaito after a certain point, I'd say second Dan. There is no reason for anyone in these arts to need a live blade. Before you've reached this grade you should be using shinai or bokken depending on your practices.

Arts that have no legitamite claim to use the sword should not be allowed anything more than the general public. No art from a country other than Japan has exactly zero claim to use/practise or own a blade. If you want one, go learn from a sword art. The amount of TKD and Karate dan grades I see walking around with them makes me feel physically ill. I hate the whole 'I've reached a Dan grade in a MA, now I can have a 'samurai' sword' mentality. It gets worse when they try and use or, heaven forbid, teach others.

I remember hearing an unsubstantiated, and possible apocryphal, tale of a Karate 4th Dan who took a live blade onto a mat whilst conducting a seminar for a TKD group. He was going to show them defences against a sword (I always thought the only defence was to crumple in a heap and bleed to death......). He picked out a kid (probably 12-15 based on the way I heard the story) and asked him what he'd do if attacked with a basic downward cut. This kid had no idea. The idiot had no control. The sword came down. The kid reacted the only way he knew and went into a rising block.......and promptly lost a finger. Now I'll freely admit that this story was heresay, but based on the idiots I've met, I'm surprised it's not commonplace.

This is the only reason why I'd restrict them so much, idiots like that are essentially LARPing, as is anyone else who doesn't need a blade but wants one. They want to pretend they're something they're not and know something they don't.

Let's face it regardless of the outcome, the murder rate isn't going to fall, any idiot with half a brain and a kitchen knife can do over a passerby, the ones who use swords at the moment are just repressed LARPers.

The other Q is how do you define a sword? Are they just extending 'bladed weapons, will a naganta come under this and will you be able to carry a knife to train with?
    How I, or anyone else with a brain defines a sword will not some into it. The Government will pick on the 'samurai' sword, other kinds of blades won't be subject to the same treatment.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 9:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see the picking on 'samurai' swords irronicaly if you buy a straight 'ninja' sword... this would not be covered technically, but with the popularity of films involving swords (Blade, LOTR etc) and such it would be even more pointless (not 2 say this isn't what will happen) but the number of replica swords from these is

We don't use live blades at all at training, I have an iaito, as do most of the people doing the sword in kobudo, but as the sword is only 1 of several weapons* we don't do alot of practice with it compared to a pure sword art and its all kata based, some v. short 3 move ones, some longer ones.

On the LARPing front, real LARPers have to have a spesific level of padding on contact weapons with all sorts of rules on it. I take your point though and assume you mean the people who are just acting like a 5 year old with a stick.

If the restricion is on live blades then it more sensible, I don't know if it was just the background noise but i go the impession is was anyting long metal & pointy

*(6th in the order we do, you grade with each weapon seperatly & progress a belt after 3 weapons)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast