Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 9:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The most scientific gun training ever...

GUN KATA

The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.

Why did they never try this....

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu/Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you do them?

Yes it's a good film.
    Now STFU, get a life and stop trolling. (5/10 obvious, low mileage, but mildly amusing)
    "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 10:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes sir.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a guy in Los Angeles who actually claims to teach them. He claims his dad made him an Arnis grandmaster and he adapted Arnis and GunKata into a new martial art.

He's also a preacher in his local Church of Satan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 4:34am

Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know i came in here hoping that the word GunKata would not be included and lo and behold, the submetter himself janks it. Bravo.

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 10:32am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neo, you are an idiot. There are several different methods for pistol shooting taught in the United States. What Point Shooting, and the Weaver stance have in common is that you square your body on the target, and lock down your joints firing the gun. In modern pistolcraft one is also encouraged to use a two hand hold on the gun for greater accuracy.

This gun kata **** does not allow the use of sighted fire, and appreciation for the actual angle the muzzle of the gun is pointed at. Its a worthless proposed system that only a sci fi wonk who had never fired a gun would love.

How about this, if you are in the Northeast I'll go with you to a private firing range with your guardian and you can attempt to hit a paper target at 20 feet with that slop. You'll find out rather fast that it doesn't work.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 11:34am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done for starting a thread by using a movie quote.

Now kindly remove yourself from the gene pool.

Kurt Wimmer, director and writer of Equilibrium, made up the Gun Katas in his back garden. He has exactly zero experience or expertise in the Martial Arts or firearms. He is a film maker, the Gun Katas are fictional are are designed only to look pretty; incidently Wimmer wanted them to be more flowing like CMA (he demonstrates them as the unidentified Cleric in the opening montage) but his choreographer had a background in Karate (specifically Shotokan if memory serves) and made the movements more hard and powerful as seen in the mass training sequences.

People like these idiots: http://www.gunkatta.com/home.htm also have zero expertise. They are, at best, LARPers.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    There's a guy in Los Angeles who actually claims to teach them. He claims his dad made him an Arnis grandmaster and he adapted Arnis and GunKata into a new martial art.

He's also a preacher in his local Church of Satan.
    You have any contact info on this guy?

:viking: Methinks I might like to pay him a visit. :icon_pira Aaarrr!!
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 1:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The OP was probably trying to make a joke. Tough crowd.

The guy who teaches Gun Kata without teaching Gun Kata calls his creation "Arnis Bumaril." He calls himself "'Knife' Sotis" and claims to be a gangbanger and priest of Satan. He appears to have broken with the mainstream Satanic church (if there is such a thing) over some detail or other. He fancies himself quite the author.

The phone number he gives for both Arnis Bumaril instruction and the "East Los Angeles Church of Satan" ("ELACOS") resolves to a home number for one Betty Sotis. I'm guessing that's his mom. I further propose the conjecture that he lives in her basement and is unemployed.

His Tripod site is here: http://arnisgunkata.tripod.com/
    It contains many awesome quotes. First he explains that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Sotis
    Arnis Bumaril is a close quarters hand, foot, knife and gun-based martial art. It emphasises free-form martial arts through the basic philosophies of Jeet Kune Do (free-form body positioning and movement excercises). This is important because each fighter of Arnis Bumaril is designed for maximum effeciency in both lethal force and defense. It is of course impossible to see an oncoming bullet and dodge it. We are NOT trying to copy the movie Equilibrium in anyway. We developed our own working Close Quarter Gun combat system/method, as days go by and evolution takes it's toll so does our Martial Art. When we realized that this took a lot of time and effort in the beginning, it is something that we feel is worth it. Serious people come and go and we're proud we had members who we're part of this organization and contributed good things and being helpful in pushing our organization forward in the right direction.
    Then he explains that what he meant was that they're actually LARPing a lot of other fine action films as well:
    If you want an example of what Arnis Bumaril is buy or rent Equilibrium (recommended), Wager (recommended)(located in Links page), The Matrix Movies, The Killer, Desperado, City on Fire, Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow, Bullet in the Head, Reservoir Dogs, Leon The Professional, Die Hard Movies, Hitman, La Femme Nikita, The Bodyguard from Beijing, Assassins, Last Man Standing, Tombstone, Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2, and Bulletproof Monk. Also feel free to contribute to this site with your own tips.
    But the real comedy gold is here, at the "Training" page: http://arnisgunkata.tripod.com/id2.html

There's too much great stuff on there to copy it all here, you'll have to click. But it would be a crime not to present his "Rules" and his "Test" for assessing mastery. Remember, he recommends that you do "some training" before attempting the mastery test. He's a strict one!
    The bold emphasis is mine. The ALL CAPS EMPHASIS is his. My comments are in italics.

These are the basic rules of Arnis Bumaril Gun Training with a partner. (Be Responsible!)

1 - NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use real knives or real guns when training in public. THESE ARE THE MOST SERIOUS RULES. Only weapons to use when training proper Arnis Bumaril is CO2 paintball replica pistols and plastic/rubber knives (I prefer those magic knives you could buy at carnivals etc etc).
    Sooooo . . . . one should only train with live blades and live guns when training in private? And cheap plastic carnival toys are the preferred training knives of this "Arnis Master?"

2 - You can only shoot or stab depending on the situation for the head, face and the heart (THE MAIN KILL ZONES)
    That's one way to go, certainly. It doesn't sound like anything any Arnis teacher ever taught anyone, anywhere, at any time, even as a joke, but whatever. It's not like I believed your Arnis lineage anyway.

3 - Be careful not to hit each other in the face with the guns. Even the pistol is made of diecast metal, it will chip a tooth or damage an eye.
    Your badass handgun CQB system doesn't allow strikes with the firearm?
    ---------

READY TO TEST THE MIND AND BODY

[This test is an official voluntary test for members, any member below a black belt can take this test and achieve black belt status, please note that your in for a world of Hell (Literally) because no protective gear will be used except for face gear. If a female could get through this you can go through this.]
    Do you know what the word "literally" means? Also, are you aware that being shot with paintball guns with "no protective gear except for face gear" is considered a fun game by millions of children in this country? They call it "paintball," and apparently the kids like it better than rock 'n roll and hula hoops combined.

Each fighter uses a CO2 paintball pistol in either one of the hands and get into trapping range to practice Close Quarter Gun Combat Arnis Bumaril. Start with the pistol at your side. Start the fight, whenever you want, try to shoot your opponent with your pistol, the other will retaliate and do the same. Gunfight till one has been shot, remember anything goes. (This is as real as it gets).
    Again, do you know what that last sentence means? Chi Sau with paintball guns is definitely nto as real as it gets. It gets a good deal realer on a regular basis.

Note: We suggest you do training before taking this test. As you get better from the training you can add strikes and other techniques, but remember the main idea of the gun portion of Arnis Bumaril is to shoot the opponent till he is shot. By the way, you really need eye protection for this exercise.
    Eye protection? Just to get shot point blank in the face with paintballs while trying to do bad Wing Chun? Ya think?
    I do find it very encouraging that your system "suggests" training before testing for one's black belt. That must be very liberating. My BJJ teacher keeps telling me I have to train more and more before I can get a black belt. I was OK with that at first, but I've been there almost three months now.
    Last edited by Don Gwinn; 10/14/2006 1:18am at .

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 1:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goddammit, his italics carried over and there's no way to edit it so that one is italicized and the other is not. Stupid VBulletin. You'll have to use your heads.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast