Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 8:19am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lifting Program

Hey all,

I've taken a little break from training due to a hectic schedual (got married, built a house, started a new job, **** what a summer), but now I'm back to training and slowly getting back into reasonable shape. However, I wanted to add a lifting program to my schedual to help up my game and get ready for a TKD tournment in April and help with my mixed and BJJ training.

Problem is I know **** all about lifting. My TKD instructor moved into a new gym and aquired ten machines (your basic stuff I guess, bench, military press, leg curls, stuff I don't know the name of, etc.) and I have the following questions.

1. You know of any good websites that have martial arts specific lifting programs, with pictures? I don't know the names of all the exersizes and really don't know where to start. I'll be lifting about 2-3 times a week during lunch hours (only time I can do this. My evenings are for training tech and sparring)

2. I'm not really sure how much weight I should be putting up or how I sohuld be increasing it, reps, for each excersize. Any rules of thumb?

Thanks.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, the book Starting Strength is *exactly* what you need. So, so worth the $30.
    http://www.startingstrength.com/

1) Exrx.net will work. But you're limited with machines. MA is big compound movements and machines don't do that. I think the best training would be strongman-type stuff. Search that and you'll get tons of different workouts.

2) I'd do circuit training. Warm up. start with the biggest muscle group you can work - leg press probably - and do a hard set of 8. If the weight is where you can do more than 10, increase the weight. Then move to the next machine and do the same thing. Limit the breaks between sets to like 60 seconds. Once you finish the whole circuit, then rest for a few minutes and do it again.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 2:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok... so basically one set of each exersize with 60 second breaks... then repeat?

I've got some basic excersize from that website I think I can start with.... basically a full body workout. I was always under the impression you only do certain muscles on certain days... but what the **** do I know...

Think I'
    m gonna start next week...

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    Ok... so basically one set of each exersize with 60 second breaks... then repeat?
    You got it. the theory is you work both cardio and get a full body strength workout.

I've got some basic excersize from that website I think I can start with.... basically a full body workout. I was always under the impression you only do certain muscles on certain days... but what the **** do I know...
    At least in the beginning, you should be able to do a full body 2 or 3 times a week without over training.

The body part thing I see a lot. I'm pretty sure that's from body building and that's where it should stay. Good if you really want to bulk up your favorite muscles, not so good at recruiting your entire body - like you do in real life.

Good luck dude.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PJ beat me to it again. What he said ^^^^^
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 8:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    You got it. the theory is you work both cardio and get a full body strength workout.
    Actually, that should work out perfect since I'm on limited time at luch. I can just stop at whatever set I'm at and run back to work without missing an excersize (I should have time to get on set in of each at least).

Thanks for the assistance,

You are a gentleman and scholar, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise good sir.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 9:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two pieces of advice.

1. Are you lifting weights to increase strength ? If you are stay away from machines and isolation movements. Use compound movements and stick to free weights or odd objects like sandbags.

2. Take it easy with the lifting. If your training martial arts 3 nights per week you don't want to lift weights everyday I can tell you.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as an add on to training, maybe to help with strength and muscular endurance or something like that. I have an hour at lunch and my school is open three days a week at this time, so I figure I'd give it a try and see if I can stick with it

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 4:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough.

But I stand by my original statement. Stick to compound movements. Chinups,dips, weighted chinups/dips, deadlift,squats zercher squats, clean and press... you get my drift yeah ? Don't even go near a Pec-Dec or Leg Curl.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2006 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal

2. Take it easy with the lifting. If your training martial arts 3 nights per week you don't want to lift weights everyday I can tell you.
    You don't want to be lifting weights everyday regardless.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast