Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashlock
    I think you guys miss a very important point: the straight blast takes away your training. Even though you are trained to move back at a 45* angle, when you are slightly off balance and then blasted, you will forget that and try to escape by backing up because your brain panics. You can't just straight blast someone, you have to make it a surprise, and then there is nothing you can really do. Dangers are trying to blast when they are not unbalanced, or not committing to the blast giving them time to recover.
    If you are boxing correctly your reflexive action should be something along the lines of covering up and trying to circle off if you're getting pounded. I'll try to back off if things get too heavy, but running backwards is never a good idea. You can't run backwards faster than the guy coming after you can run forwards. That's why you train to circle off instead and try to evade. If' I can't evade then I'll clinch or try for a takedown. Again the straight blast is fine as a technique but let's not get carried away.

software engineer

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:37am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you guys miss a very important point: the straight blast takes away your training. Even though you are trained to move back at a 45* angle, when you are slightly off balance and then blasted, you will forget that and try to escape by backing up because your brain panics.
    Dan Severn's been flash KO'ed and taken people down into their guard and then woken up in there. Behold the power of real training. No good fighter's brain panics.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:06am

Style: To-Shin Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katana
    If you are boxing correctly your reflexive action should be something along the lines of covering up and trying to circle off if you're getting pounded. I'll try to back off if things get too heavy, but running backwards is never a good idea. You can't run backwards faster than the guy coming after you can run forwards. That's why you train to circle off instead and try to evade. If' I can't evade then I'll clinch or try for a takedown. Again the straight blast is fine as a technique but let's not get carried away.
    My friend, have you ever been straight blasted? Even in practice, when you know it's coming, you will get floored. It's not like we're boxing around and I charge you with fists, and you circle out of the way. We're in the middle of a fight, say, I land a light jab and you take a microsecond to recover, then the blast comes and you will not be able to do much. Try it out and then you can come back and tell me how you circled around it reflexively. Good luck...

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meng_mao
    Dan Severn's been flash KO'ed and taken people down into their guard and then woken up in there. Behold the power of real training. No good fighter's brain panics.
    And how many times have you been straight blasted? It's not a panic from fear, it's a panic because there is only so much information your brain can process, whether you're Dan Severn or anyone--the human brain has limits. That's why a well-timed straight blast is so dangerous.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:13am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My friend, have you ever been straight blasted? Even in practice, when you know it's coming, you will get floored. It's not like we're boxing around and I charge you with fists, and you circle out of the way. We're in the middle of a fight, say, I land a light jab and you take a microsecond to recover, then the blast comes and you will not be able to do much. Try it out and then you can come back and tell me how you circled around it reflexively. Good luck...
    Let me be more clear as I obviously wasn't before:

I TRAIN AT A STRAIGHT BLAST GYM SCHOOL. Yes I've seen the technique. Yes I've done the technique. Yes I've had it done to me. It's fine for what it is but it's only one tool to use when the time is right. I personally have never had it done to me in live sparring to the point where I couldn't circle off and cover or clinch. I have done it to other people when I really stunned them with a combo. Again I'm not dissing the technique but just putting it in perspective. It's really nothing more than running down a person with a jab/cross combo. That's it. Its got a time and a place but it's not supernatural in its ability to disable all who are subjected to it.

software engineer

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And how many times have you been straight blasted? It's not a panic from fear, it's a panic because there is only so much information your brain can process, whether you're Dan Severn or anyone--the human brain has limits. That's why a well-timed straight blast is so dangerous.
    I can remember clearly 5 or 6 times. I think I fell over once, got backed into a wall 2 twice, and took the shots the other times.

Also, I remember your being retarded, so no further reasoning from me.

Ok. Who am I lying, I'm a huge nerd. I can't help reasoning.
    When I watch a music video, I process hundreds of times more information / sec than I do when I get hit with a 'blast.' There's not a sensory problem here.

Still, you are retarded.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katana
    Let me be more clear as I obviously wasn't before:

I TRAIN AT A STRAIGHT BLAST GYM SCHOOL. Yes I've seen the technique. Yes I've done the technique. Yes I've had it done to me. It's fine for what it is but it's only one tool to use when the time is right. I personally have never had it done to me in live sparring to the point where I couldn't circle off and cover or clinch. I have done it to other people when I really stunned them with a combo. Again I'm not dissing the technique but just putting it in perspective. It's really nothing more than running down a person with a jab/cross combo. That's it. Its got a time and a place but it's not supernatural in its ability to disable all who are subjected to it.
    Thanks--wasn't sure what SBGS was. I never claimed it was supernatural, it has a time and a place like any technique--but if you can straight blast, you probably should in a fight.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:35am

supporting member
     Style: Bjj/Machado/Pittman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont box or train at a straight blast gym but this whole concept seems really obvious and basic. Is the OP an idiot or is there something I'm missing?

What your saying is; When you hit the guy... you should keep advancing and hitting him?

Office Drone

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW drones, meng_mao is right on target, this isn't an issue of 'sensory overload' (what a crock of ****). A person failing straight punches in your face at a rate of what 4-5/sec, let's even say 10/sec, this is scientifically proven to to overload your brain? Load of ****/hype.

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 7:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get ready for the most awsome technique that will change the way we look at martial arts forever:

The Straight Blast Lunge Punch.

I'll just hang back and let the awe set in.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast