Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 12:51am

Style: To-Shin Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Straight Blast: There is no substitute

1. Unbalance the opponent (feint, shove, eye jab, etc.)
    2. Run forward into the opponent with straight verticle punches to the face, or with anything really, hooks, palm heels, chops, etc. (point is to overwhelm the brain with stimuli).
    3. Finish off with elbows, knees, headbutts

No BS. Simple and effective. Why isn't this technique practiced in every "style"? It's one of the most powerful technique I've experienced, and not everyone seems to know about it outside of JKD.

[USER WAS PROBATED FOR FAILING TO READ THE FORUM DESCRIPTIONS]

software engineer

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashlock
    2. Run forward into the opponent with straight verticle punches to the face, or with anything really, hooks, palm heels, chops, etc. (point is to overwhelm the brain with stimuli).

No BS. Simple and effective. Why isn't this technique practiced in every "style"? It's one of the most powerful technique I've experienced, and not everyone seems to know about it outside of JKD.
    Mess up 1 or 2, and the answer is to duck and shoot.
    52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 12:59am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Largely because the technique depends upon overwhelming the attacker w/ a multitude of attacks that can be escaped *if* the person knows a boxing secret.

Move diagnally when retreating.

At this point, the person becomes very vulnerable to a well-timed cross. Other fighters will clinch you if you run into them w/ wild attacks, while some martial arts like Judo prefer to use a throw after the "kazushi", (unbalancing), while other martial arts don't call it a "straight blast" but still use a technique similar to it, and still other martial arts just suck.

It's a move that depends upon the person being attacked being unsure of how to deal with a punch at the face. Most people will either shell up or they will turn their heads away. If they do either, a straight blast is a very effective technique. If they don't look away, a straight blast can leave the person 'blasting' vulnerable to counter attacks.

I haven't seen this topic before, but you may be engaging in a Bullshido deadly sin:

:beatdead:

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:07am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pull guard
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Also I train at an SBG school and they don't really show it like that anymore. From what I've been shown it's been modified to basically be a cross/jab combination while running down your opponent. The vertical chain punching thing doesn't work that well when you are facing off against a boxer and they just start tossing hooks around and circling off to avoid you. By doing the standard jab/cross you can keep your guard up and chin down to protect against counter punching. When you vertical chain punch it puts you in weird position with your shoulders and makes keeping your chin protected very hard in my experience.

It works well on someone you've just stunned with a good combo but it's not an end-all and has its weaknesses. It's just another tool to use when the time is right.
    Last edited by katana; 10/12/2006 1:15am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:16am

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as far as moving back diagnally, shooting, doing just about anything wont get you away. we train to straight blast into a spraw if they do shoot, we straight blast high and low all around, you cant get away from it.

Shooting will get you away from it, but theres no *commitment* to a straight blast. you just fire your hands from where they are, they go back to your elbow thats the farthest your hand goes back there not big knockout swings, its like 5 strong jabs in a row. i hate straight blast drills they drive me crazy they make us straight blast untill we cant move our arms all the time.

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:18am

Style: To-Shin Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you guys miss a very important point: the straight blast takes away your training. Even though you are trained to move back at a 45* angle, when you are slightly off balance and then blasted, you will forget that and try to escape by backing up because your brain panics. You can't just straight blast someone, you have to make it a surprise, and then there is nothing you can really do. Dangers are trying to blast when they are not unbalanced, or not committing to the blast giving them time to recover.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    obviously its not the end all technique, but its a good technique thats simple. when you see people rush in the ufc and other mma's, you know when they *smell* blood so to speak after they tag someone, there basically straight blasting, there just throwing bombs at the person instead of the straight blast technique but its basicaly the same concept of barriage of bullshit, punches in bunches, etc.

has its problems, but the lack of commitment makes it not as risky if your swinging for the fences.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    as far as moving back diagnally, shooting, doing just about anything wont get you away.
    NO CAN DEFENCE

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 1:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    NO CAN DEFENCE
    i dont know what to say we straight blast people moving all over the place and sprawl from it. i've been doing it in training a few times a week for a good bit now. i just have nothing else to say.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast