Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 7:41pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Seeking Some Advice from the Veterans

I will be competing for the first time this Sunday and basically, the advice I am looking for is how you all handle these last few days leading up to the event.

So far, I have not done any weight lifting this week because I don't want any muscle soreness on Sunday, but since I have been rolling harder than usual in training for the past 3 days, I think I defeated the purpose of that.

I'm just looking to get a few replies about how some of you all prepare on these final days; if you do anything differently or if you just stick to your normal routines. I know I probably should have asked this question a few weeks ago, but any advice I can get for the future would be appreciated.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Final days I usually do nothing. Mainly because Murphy's Law of Injuries states that you WILL get something hurt 'going light' on the days right before the competition.

The best thing you can do is eat right, rest, and chill. I use the time to go over my mental preparation - which usually involves me reciting some fucked up mantra to myself like....I will be the one doing the throwing thank you very much. I am going to win no matter what. (stuff like that).

The physical preparation for competition is done months beforehand; not days. There is NOTHING that you can do or learn in the last couple of sessions that will have any impact on your performance. If you don't know it or do it by now you aren't going to absorb it in the last minute.

Relax and enjoy the calm before the storm.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    be sure to eat well the day of the fight. don't be so paranoid about making weight that you skip breakfast ... if you do, odds are you'll go in flat and get run over.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've been reading this subforum for any length of time you probably already know this, but just in case you didn't -

Yrkoon9 is right and you should accept his advice.

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 9:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Final days I usually do nothing. Mainly because Murphy's Law of Injuries states that you WILL get something hurt 'going light' on the days right before the competition.

The best thing you can do is eat right, rest, and chill. I use the time to go over my mental preparation - which usually involves me reciting some fucked up mantra to myself like....I will be the one doing the throwing thank you very much. I am going to win no matter what. (stuff like that).

The physical preparation for competition is done months beforehand; not days. There is NOTHING that you can do or learn in the last couple of sessions that will have any impact on your performance. If you don't know it or do it by now you aren't going to absorb it in the last minute.

Relax and enjoy the calm before the storm.
    What he said.

Also, as just a general tip, many tournaments are starting to weigh you in your gi right before you step onto the mat for the first time. From a competitor's perspective, this irritates me, as cutting weight the old fashioned way is not going to work very well.

From my opponent's perspective, he's probably ecstatic, because I can't weigh in the night before at 185 and then be back at 195-200 by the time I compete.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal