Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 7:44am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and to answer your question...DEFENSIVE SIDE KICK!!!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 8:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch CroCop vs Wanderlei, and do like the Croation does.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 9:03am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knees
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 9:35am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a similar situation in a straight boxing session against a guy with more reach. good speed, but less experience (which is why he favored rushing in w/ wide hooks). It was relatively easy to go straight up the middle with 1-2's, but often the guy would catch me just after I made contact with a hook coming over my extended arm. (My chin was tucked, but catching punches high around the eyes still rattles you.) Here's my self-directed constructive criticism, that others might verify or shoot down, instead of rushing my 1-2's together up the middle, and getting caught in a bad rhythm of counter hooks, I should have stayed calmer after landing the initial jab, held back and protected my head with my 2 hand until after he threw the hook to that side, and then countered with the cross.

Theory theory, I know. I might get the chance to try it out tonight at the gym and see if it helps. Just throwing it out for feedback.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 9:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side.

Step.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 11:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JimmyZ you weren't getting hit because you threw a 1-2 you were probably getting hit because you left you hand(s) hanging out there. Throw that jab and get it back just as fast as it went out there. Also, if you are landing these shots with good timing he shouldn't be in range to throw a good hook. If he is then your shots didn't stop him or you are throwing from too close.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 11:28am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True, not to sound arrogant, but I was holding back my shots a bit. He was able to reach me with loose slap type hooks (MT style) because of his reach advantage. I probably did leave my hands out there.

So - throw the straight punches harder, and bring 'em back all the way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 12:30pm

Style: savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JimmyZ: dollar to a donut you didn't have your shoulder raised correctly when you threw them. If your shoulder is tapping you in the jaw like it should be, the only part of your head he should be able to contact is the hard and bony stuff up top.

Otherwise... dunno. Nobody's ever given me a Christmas present like that before (rushing in with wide hooks). Most likely I'd be stepping into *them* and letting them run onto a jab or cross.

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 12:47pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sad truth is that if you are getting bum rushed, it is generally because your opponent does not respect your power. If he's rushing in for a hook, he's vulnerable to a jab, cross or overhand. With two of those three, you should be able to knock him on his ass. Depending on the pop of your jab, you might even be able to give him a good shot with that as well. If you don't hurt him, he'll just rush every time. In a purely boxing setting, I'd recommend either angling out and sticking him with jab crosses, or just timing him on his entry and teeing off with an overhand right.

In a muay thai situation, you could stick to the same tactics, or light him up with a chopping round kick or front push. With the round kick, as he rushes give him a chop to freeze him up and keep him from planting for the hooks. Then either immediately re-establish long range, or quickly snatch the clench and begin kneeing the **** out of him. With the front push, follow with a round kick, then proceed back to range or to clench.

Whenever you strike, angle off with your footwork a bit, and be evasive with your head. This should help to make targeting for him more difficult, and will force him to reach. If you get him headhunting and reaching for high hooks, slipping and nailing body shots may help.

Whenever I'm going harder contact with someone and don't respect their power, I will just mow them down. Particularly if they are a little heavy on their feet. They are just a stationary punching bag that poses no threat to me.

If you have no power, you absolutely must move and angle out. But better yet, develop some power.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you live that you worry about bums? We don't have bums here, but if we did they wouldn't rush.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast