Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 12:59pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spin-and-flip armbar versus the turtle

I was cleaning up today and found a CD with a bunch of photos on it. But more importantly, they were of my Eduardo de Lima showing a bunch of techniques. They had originally been taken for his bit in Grappling Magazine but they had been scrapped since they didn't come out as well as he wanted for national exposure. Rather than having them go to waste, I've decided they are good enough for internet exposure, so I'll be putting them up throughout the week.

The first move is a way of spinning around the turtle to flip them over and take an armbar. I wasn't present when Eduardo did these photos, but he's shown me the moves a couple times so I'll do my best to improv the explanation.

They are on all fours and you have side ride. Your right hand has a one-on-one on their far wrist.

Sprawl and put the center your chest is in the middle of their back as you circle around behind them and come to the other side, pivoting with your weight on them. Keep the one-on-one on their wrist.

Grab their near ankle, palm up.

Keep circling to their front and come to your right knee but making sure to bring your left leg is above their head.

Lift and pull their arm and leg to you as you sit back.

Pass your left leg over their head and drive your right knee and shin into their armpit as you lay back from an armbar.

More to come later.

If you like these techniques, you might also like to know that Eduardo is available for seminars. He loves to travel and teach and is always happy to roll with everyone. He's in Europe this month, giving a seminar at the Gracie Barra Portugal.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At what point does one become so good that they even think to do that? I would assume even you would consider that an advanced technique.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 1:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've stopped really caring if moves are advanced since I've found that they're all easy enough if you just drill them. If I worried about how "advanced" a move is supposed to be, I'd never have gotten so into reverse omoplatas and realized how simple they actually are.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 10/10/2006 1:23pm at .

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    10/11/2006 9:38pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen something like that: in this case, the left hand grabs under the shoulder/armpit, the right foot hooks under opp's right hip, and the hand he has on the arm grabs the belt. Fall backwards while lifting with the hooked foot and hand on the belt.

This version is better, since the one I was shown has no hope of working no-gi and is very easy to screw up.

EDIT: maybe you could reach back and grab around the thigh in lieu of the belt thing, but it would be awkward.
    Last edited by IzzyDaHedgehog; 10/11/2006 9:41pm at .
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 2:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I'm viewing this with stills I'm having a hard time understanding why you don't just move from the first position, around n-s and to the fourth picture?

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 6:56am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey! This looks like a modified version of my favourite turtle turnover. Trying it out ASAP.

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 9:40pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Since I'm viewing this with stills I'm having a hard time understanding why you don't just move from the first position, around n-s and to the fourth picture?
    Probably because spinning around gives you easy access to the far leg. Without the grip on the far leg, flipping the turtle for this technique would likely be an exercise in frustration.

Disclaimer: This is my analysis based on the stills. Arabic has precedence over BJJ this week, so I've not had a chance to drill the technique.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 10:01pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems to me that the most important element in getting that flip -- aside from the grip itself -- is to be able to drive your right knee in to take away the opponent's ability to base on his left arm. So why not do it from the first position?

Unless, that is, an important detail is to walk the ankle away from the opponent's body, initiating lateral flexion in the knee and then pulling the opponent over. What were Eduardo's details in terms of that particular movement?

Posted On:
    10/12/2006 10:49pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems to me that the most important element in getting that flip -- aside from the grip itself -- is to be able to drive your right knee in to take away the opponent's ability to base on his left arm. So why not do it from the first position?

Unless, that is, an important detail is to walk the ankle away from the opponent's body, initiating lateral flexion in the knee and then pulling the opponent over. What were Eduardo's details in terms of that particular movement?
    A reply in the form of a fortune cookie:

Reaching out to take something that is not yours makes you easy to push over.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    10/13/2006 7:54am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    That is kind of what I was thinking when I made my first post. There would be too many other options from the first position that I couldn't see me ever thinking that I wanted to take the time to switch sides. Although, I do realize that it might be that kind of thinking that made me a third year white belt. :lol:
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast