Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 11:04pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A good article on headbutt application

While wandering through wikipedia I found a very well-written and, as far as I can assess, knowledgable article on headbutts and related strikes:

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/rma/gmhead.html

I found it a fine read and couldn't find much to disagree with. If you have the time and inclination it's a good way to brush up on headbutts because, if your MA school is like my old one, you don't work on headbutts much.

As an aside, at the end he lists training methods including light sparring with protective headgear - is this feasible/safe? Can anyone suggest a way of training headbutts that has worked for them? Unfortunately headbutts are one of those 'hard-to'train' moves which, like the dreaded eye-gouge, end up being abused in RBSD, and thus it can be difficult to feel comfortable working them into attacks for humble "sportfighters" such as myself.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 1:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In one of the recent Dog Brothers videos it shows them training with headbutts against a knife. I think with proper headgear you could train the headbutts. Maybe use the pads, especially when doing ground 'n pound.

Finnfight is an example of an MMA organization that allows headbutts, so I wouldn't be suprised if someone has some kind of training method to the strike.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 1:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=chaosexmachina]In one of the recent Dog Brothers videos it shows them training with headbutts against a knife. /quote]

In the "Passchen document" of 1659 (which has been posted before; thrown jar FTW!) the attacker is shown wielding a poker and the defender is seen pulling them down via their weapon arm and headbutting them.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 6:58am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know man, as a boxer my basic goal is generally to hurt my opponent whilst protecting my head.. and using it as a weapon may not be the most practical way to go about acheiving that goal.

Of course headbutts have their applications, as long as youre using it where you can, not aiming to use it where it may not be applicable 'cause its cool and hurts the other guy like hell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 7:01am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the link wont open for me..

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 8:20am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stickgrappler > You

His was the "original" personal MA blog in a lot of ways. He basically Blogged before they had Blogs.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 9:19am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    I dont know man, as a boxer my basic goal is generally to hurt my opponent whilst protecting my head.. and using it as a weapon may not be the most practical way to go about acheiving that goal.
    And here I thought butting was a standard part of the boxing clinch... Top of your head to eyebrow FTW.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 11:11am

Style: martial

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    headbutts rock!

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 12:44pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Stickgrappler > You

His was the "original" personal MA blog in a lot of ways. He basically Blogged before they had Blogs.
    Yes, I was very impressed with the article, especially when I noted the publication dates. This guy was doing it before it was cool, as it were.

Posted On:
    10/10/2006 1:01pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmacount123
    headbutts rock!

Indeed.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast