Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 5:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Overtraining issues

Does anyone else suffer from these. I go thru this wierd sort of cycle. I go way over board on training for a while, end up injuring myslf in various ways as a result and being out of training for a while. As soon as i can start back up I tend to do the same thing.

For a while there I waas training 35-40 hours a week as well as working full time. Kept this up for a long time then had tos top all together for 7 months as a result of torn ligaments with a side order of multiple stress fractures.
    The cycle has repeated itself for years. Usually im out for a couple of months a year.
    Its annoying as hell but i cant seem to stop doing it.

I just enjoy exercise too much. Sometimes when im trying to cut back I'll say "i'll just go for a short jog today and leave it at that". Next thing I know i've been running for 3 or 4 hours.

I know it sounds like a simple case of cut back, but i just dont seem to be able to do it.

Then when im out of action i end up jsut aout climbing the walls.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    train hard but train smart. I train as hard as I can but if im injured I do everything I can to make sure I don't exacerbate it (sp?)

I know guys who think they are hard men by kicking when they have a leg injury, continuing to punch if they have a hand injury. I dont have much respect for that kind of behaviour because nobody will think you are tough when you are 40 years old and are a surgeons nightmare.

one thing you might try and do is set yourself up a timetable of things you are going to do. make sure the things are relevant and have an end goal. when you finish it you can feel good about completing your goal for the day, whereas if you are just training for the sake of training you might feel like you arent getting anywhere. And make sure you focus on technique over everything else. this will stop you getting injured. watch my youtube vid in my signature, I didn't win because I was stronger or because I had more stamina (I just could hide my tiredness better than him) it was because I trained my technique better than he did. power and speed come with good solid basics.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 6:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hold on a minute colon.

You where training 35-40 hours per week ? You where running for 3 hours at a time ? That is just crazy. No wonder you overtrained. Your're doing too much, thats more training than proffessional fighters do and it's certainly more than anyone needs. Just cut back to 3 times per week to back off.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 7:31pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    one thing you might try and do is set yourself up a timetable of things you are going to do. make sure the things are relevant and have an end goal.
    I concur. This is a good way to progressively build useful skills. On another note, you shouldnt keep vague goals, either. Nothing like "I want to have the fastest kicks in the gym by friday night." You have to keep them realistic and attainable. Something like having a certain number of kicks or combinations you can do in like 3 minutes, then build upon it to do more next time. Using a clock also insures that youre working hard and at a good pace.

Congratulations on your fight alex, he looked like he was going to make a run for it by the end of the video.

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 7:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Hold on a minute colon.

You where training 35-40 hours per week ? You where running for 3 hours at a time ? That is just crazy. No wonder you overtrained. Your're doing too much, thats more training than proffessional fighters do and it's certainly more than anyone needs. Just cut back to 3 times per week to back off.
    This is good advice everyone. Especially the timetable. I just get carried away cause its just too much fun. Only about 6-8 hrs a week is MA specific stuff, most of the rest is running and gym work.
    I think i train because i just love doing it and dont have it isolated to specific goals. Definitely a gem of advice on that one.
    I have read about exercise addiction and wonder if this is a factor

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 8:25pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read in a book one time....

The Fighters Fact Book by. Loren W. Christenson

That you have to rest. Listen to your body. If you feel that your body is saying slow down then slow down. If you dont you will pay for it when you get older.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 8:51pm

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :5eek: What Alex said. I had the same type of addiction, though not as bad as you. As I finally got older and burned out, I figured I should concentrate more on quality, then quantity. Train smart---->Quality workout----->Better results. At least in my case.:XXsmoker:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 9:56pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick to interval training, weights, and plyometrics. Running for hours is counterproductive.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/08/2006 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same type of addiction... and it is an addiction. It's just too much fun, but after a while it hits me physically (or my brain goes like meh!), and I take a couple of weeks break (or just a major scale back of things.)

I certainly know it's not the best thing to do, but I must enjoy what I'm doing, and that's the only way I get joy out of it (must be because I'm certifiably an obsessive compulsive type... I am :eusa_doh:)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2006 7:52am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A 40 hour work week of what you call exercise? :flipando:

Anyone else experienced this problem?
    Is that your only question?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast