T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/07/2006 4:56pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Athens, Georgia - The Hardcore Gym

THG is owned by Adam and Rory Singer and is an American Top Team affiliated school. They're both brown belts in BJJ under Chris Haueter (a Rigan Machado 2nd degree). The gym specializes in MMA and BJJ. The really like to focus on all ranges (i.e. standup, clinch, ground). They have a number of full contact fighters on their team and generally do very well in competition. They've had fighters in a number of venues local, national and international. This includes two in the UFC: Forrest Griffin (no longer trains there actively as he's moved to Las Vegas, but he still comes back occasionally) and Rory Singer.

The gym has just doubled it's size from 1500 to 3000 square feet. Almost the entire floor is matted. Soon there will be a fence wall added to work on grappling against a fence. Other ammenties include hanging thai heavy bags, lots of gloves/pads/headgear/etc... to be used, as well as weights currently going in.

At 5:30 M-Th the 101 (beginner) class and the 201 (intermediate) classes meet (under seperate instruction). Then at 6:30 the advanced (advanced) class meets. Mondays and Wednesdays are for grappling. Tuesdays and Thursdays are for Standup (striking, clinch, standup-wrestling).

As far as pricing goes, it is dependent on the length of contract. I'm unsure of the current rates, so it would be best to come to a class or call for more info.

I believe there is a rate for month to month as well though I'm not certain what it is. Whatever the fee is gets you M-Th and Saturday instruction and openmats on Fridays. Another bonus is great guest instructors do come in occasionally (so far this has included Chris Haueter giving a BJJ seminar and Carmelo Marrero, an NCAA all-american wrestler, giving a wrestling clinic).

I came to this gym with a bit of prior experience, having my blackbelt in Kuk Sool Won, but very little outside of that. The intro class are a great way to get acclimated. All classes start with a rigorougs warmup. Then they begin the instruction and drilling. They drill things at a pace both conducive to learning without being completely compliant. Then as you get better you're given more chance to free-spar and roll. I have never yet felt overwhelmed or overlooked. The instructors are very conscious of how everyone is doing, and they try to accomodate everyone to the best of their abilities.

It's a great atmosphere with no egos. Everyone is really welcoming and very hardworking. I can't imagine a better place in the area to train.

Adress:

The Hardcore Gym
    1685 Commerce Rd. Athens, GA 30607

Original Section:

New Addition:

Another Shot of the Addition:

Rory Singer's and Forrest Griffin's TUF Jerseys:

Last edited by Wolf; 11/30/2007 9:43pm at . Reason: a little more info added

Posted On:
    10/07/2006 6:25pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. Lot of ATL folks around here.

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 5:07pm

Style: ASHIDA KIM NINJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol..ASHIDA KIM WEEPS AT THE SIGHT OF SO CALLED MARTIAL ART GYMS

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 5:12pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ASHIDA KIM4LIFE
    lol..ASHIDA KIM WEEPS AT THE SIGHT OF SO CALLED MARTIAL ART GYMS
    Bizzanned, fo shizzle, diggity, hammertime.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/08/2007 12:22am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With the amount of people at the gym now I think the Gym Size ranking is closer to a 5. I really hope they acquire the space next door that seems to be getting built out for something. We could definitely use some more space.

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 1:01pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wrote a thread about my school becoming ATT affiliated soon. I see that your school is ATT affiliated as well. Any ideas what the school/gym was like before it became affiliated with ATT and if so, what that affiliation brought to the gym/school?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 5:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before it was ATT the hardcore gym was a straight blast gym affiliate. The change in affiliation has basically just brought us ties with more pro fighters and the abilitate to train at other locations free of charge.

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 5:18pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you have to pay a increase in dues to be affiliated with ATT?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 9:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that i'm aware of. I don't pay dues though because I get to train in exchange for designing and maintaining the website. Which reminds me... I have to add a bunch of content to it :toothy10:

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 6:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your in Athens then Hardcore is definitely the place to be. Rory and Adam are both nice guys and good trainers. And as the OP said they always have some people coming down to do seminars.

:angryfire
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast